Sleeper team transparency

Cowboy Mac

Ask away. Basically the contract states that loads will be taken off the rail ( For example Ontario California to Jacksonville Florida use to go on a train for some if not all of the trip) well now it’s going to be takes by ups via a sleeper team that runs there and probably a few other places on the way back. I was able to luck out and partnered with someone who had more seniority than me. In our supplement it’s the high seniority guy can pick whatever full timer and they now have their seniority. If I do just my roughly 4600 mile sleeper run with the delay time we get it’s usually around $2700 for 75ish hours clocked in. Averaging 38 hours actually behind the wheel and working ( fueling, drop and hook trailers calling dispatch etc.)

Good to know on the retirement side. Was never a fan of how locked down that money was once it went into those accounts. Basically it’s get fired or lose your house before they even start paperwork
So what happens when you need to use an option day? Are you basically a cover driver all week?

Also what supplies do you bring with you on the road? I heard that sleeper drivers have to buy their own mattress for the truck.

What about meals, showers, restroom, and fuel stops? I feel like between 2 people you would constantly have to keep stopping to use the restroom.

So what happens when you need to use an option day? Are you basically a cover driver all week?

Also what supplies do you bring with you on the road? I heard that sleeper drivers have to buy their own mattress for the truck.

What about meals, showers, restroom, and fuel stops? I feel like between 2 people you would constantly have to keep stopping to use the restroom.
Talk your route up enough and you will have people lined up for it. All you have to do is find coverage for that week. You will go to the cover board for just that week for the other days.

Basically like your traveling, toiletries soap shampoo etc. we bring our food for the most part and just pack it into our coolers and heat it up at truck stops. Costco pre-made meals are a winner, quick and simple. We use a UPS fuel card to fuel ( we have long distances between our stops and fuel at hubs when we can) and then link that gas stations rewards card. Ends up being 4 cents a gallon back in rewards points; it adds up quickly. Also free showers and free fountain drinks so it’s a nice perk. There is a reason you see truck drivers with a big 54oz. cup walking into the truck stops.

As far as mattresses go, the one they provide isn’t much better than your kids nap mat. About 3 inches thick and you can literally feel every spring. I have slept on foldout couches that were more comfortable. We went ahead and splurged on a 12 inch thick memory foam gel cooled mattress. It absorbs a lot of the bumps but some roads just suck. And we buy Gatorade and other large lid bottles for… reasons

Thebrownblob

I think he's trying to show everyone how sleeper teams are paid and what they make.

That and probably trying to brag a little.
Everyone knows what they make, where I am they have to force people to do it because no one wants to sleep in the back of a truck, to each their own.

Thebrownblob

Really? Here you can't be forced to do Sleeper.
Forcing new hires. And sometimes A drivers cannot find a B driver. But we have a lot of sleeper runs. It’s great money but not everyone wants to do it. Most of the high seniority feeders like the gravy mileage runs. Home every night.

ManInBrown

Title should’ve been, look at how much money I make every week. No one cares. We all know how much sleeper makes. I could go sleeper tomorrow if I wanted. It’s blood money. It’s not a life.

Thebrownblob

Title should’ve been, look at how much money I make every week. No one cares. We all know how much sleeper makes. I could go sleeper tomorrow if I wanted. It’s blood money. It’s not a life.
I have a friend who was just going to do it for a year, to get himself out of some financial trouble, ended up losing his marriage and still has money problems. And health problems as well now. The money is almost too easy but the lifestyle is difficult for most.

ManInBrown

I have a friend who was just going to do it for a year, to get himself out of some financial trouble, ended up losing his marriage and still has money problems. And health problems as well now. The money is almost too easy but the lifestyle is difficult for most.
Lifestyle difficult is a huge understatement. It’s a horrible life. Every sleeper driver I work with when I see them they tell me they hate it, but the money is too good to pass up. There’s two teams that like it, and both have 3 day runs and essentially make the same as a 42-44 hour local driver. Leave Tuesday, back Friday night. I can kind of understand doing a run like that. Would never be for me, but it’s probably not horrible. The stub the OP posted is a nightmare life. If he can handle it god bless. Its terrible for your Health, mentally and physically.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Talk your route up enough and you will have people lined up for it. All you have to do is find coverage for that week. You will go to the cover board for just that week for the other days.

Basically like your traveling, toiletries soap shampoo etc. we bring our food for the most part and just pack it into our coolers and heat it up at truck stops. Costco pre-made meals are a winner, quick and simple. We use a UPS fuel card to fuel ( we have long distances between our stops and fuel at hubs when we can) and then link that gas stations rewards card. Ends up being 4 cents a gallon back in rewards points; it adds up quickly. Also free showers and free fountain drinks so it’s a nice perk. There is a reason you see truck drivers with a big 54oz. cup walking into the truck stops.

As far as mattresses go, the one they provide isn’t much better than your kids nap mat. About 3 inches thick and you can literally feel every spring. I have slept on foldout couches that were more comfortable. We went ahead and splurged on a 12 inch thick memory foam gel cooled mattress. It absorbs a lot of the bumps but some roads just suck. And we buy Gatorade and other large lid bottles for… reasons

It takes a certain type of person to work or live that lifestyle.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That is a full week but I’m not paid at just hourly rate. I do extra work on top of just my mileage run. It’s about 77 hours from clock in to clock out for just the sleeper run. I work extra before and after. I clocked 26 hours of pay when being paid by the hour, the rest is mileage
That’s not sustainable in the long term… and working extra after you’ve been out on the road gets old fast.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That is correct and most people don’t even know if they’re up to it until they get into it and realize what they got their self into. Some become addicted to the money.

I have a friend that ran teams with Fed-Ex ground, to the west coast and back.

His biggest 2 complaints were not being able to sleep while someone else was driving, and his

co-driver was this skinny little dude who had horrendous flatulence. :biggrin: