Slip Resistance Shoes On or Go Home!

BrownBrokeDown

Steel-toed shoes or boots are required for individuals working in industries where heavy materials could likely fall on their feet. The steel reinforcement at the bottom of the shoe is used to ensure that all individuals working in an industrial environment are protected against accidental damage to the foot.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_5246705_osha-laws-safety-shoes.html
Used to this law blanketed everyone in warehousing. Companies have found though that it is not as simple as that. My 1st job doesn't require them (Osha ok with it) and we deal with up to 70 lbs in my warehouse. Other warehouses in this company have heavier stuff and still do not require steeltoes. However the manufacturing plants do require them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Is all this "required" stuff just some recommendation from some safety committee or is it an actual written down "agreed to by the Union" carved in granite law? I'm not saying its not a good idea just that I would still have to see it in some official capacity before I would agree to be sent home without pay. Anyone can tell anybody anything and make it sound like its required and we all know how much BS is thrown out at UPS.
Yeah i don't know how official the rule is....I've never not worn my boots to work.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
DnMpoKu.jpg

This store has a “test ramp” so you can try out your safety boots on different surfaces
Coooool beans!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Every once in a while a heavy irreg will fall on somebody's toes at my hub. They get hurt and sure enough about 2 or 3 days later hub management has a crackdown and they send folks home that have tennis shoes. Problem is, the pay is so low and moral is so bad, people just say to hell with it and don't come back to work. Then the hub is in a bind till they hire more warm bodies. I've sat at the feeder phones at shift change and probably 50% of the PT'ers wear improper footwear at any given time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't understand why some people have such a hard time following the rules. The same people who would think nothing of buying a $200 pair of sneakers or a $300 purse are the same ones who balk at buying steel-toed boots. They don't have to be fancy. Go to Walmart. Hopefully they will save your toes one day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Every once in a while a heavy irreg will fall on somebody's toes at my hub. They get hurt and sure enough about 2 or 3 days later hub management has a crackdown and they send folks home that have tennis shoes. Problem is, the pay is so low and moral is so bad, people just say to hell with it and don't come back to work. Then the hub is in a bind till they hire more warm bodies. I've sat at the feeder phones at shift change and probably 50% of the PT'ers wear improper footwear at any given time.
I don't get it...I push and kick heavy packages with my boots all the time. I'd have so many broken toes if I wore sneakers...so not worth it.

BrownBrokeDown

Go to Walmart. Hopefully they will save your toes one day.
Don't do this. The Walmart ones may save your toes but after a month when the boot wears out they kill your feet. Done this 3 times in the last 10 years on boots and 2 on tennis shoes. Will never buy another shoe at Walmart as long as i live and i dont care what brand it is.

Also, been here 4 years $200 sneakers...don't think so. Thats a weeks worth of pay for me.

BrownBrokeDown

I don't get it...I push and kick heavy packages with my boots all the time. I'd have so many broken toes if I wore sneakers...so not worth it.
Picking off is easier on the foot to box contact, but you have to stand in one place on metal grating for 4-6 hours. They buy the anti-slip fatigue mats with a hard plastic top that are not any better than standing on the grating itself. My insoles that i buy for the boots i currently wear, wear out constantly. 2 months ago I bought a set of insoles that have a 1 yr guarentee, but already need to pull the receipt because they are basically worn the hell out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't do this. The Walmart ones may save your toes but after a month when the boot wears out they kill your feet. Done this 3 times in the last 10 years on boots and 2 on tennis shoes. Will never buy another shoe at Walmart as long as i live and i dont care what brand it is.

Also, been here 4 years $200 sneakers...don't think so. Thats a weeks worth of pay for me.
I disagree...everybody's feet are different....but I've been buying the same brand of Walmart boots for 8 years...with the Dr Scholls gel insoles...they are comfortable as hell. I may only get 4 months outta them but that's what I'd expect for 40 bucks. I wore out a pair of $180 Redwing boots in 6 months on preload. I'll stick with these.

dar7776

Banned
This is true! it is also a good way to get out of work and play the No Shoe Card on em.

dar7776

Banned
Are they really "required"? I've never heard of that. Recommended yes--but required-no. I would have to see that in writing.
Steel toes are required working inside but slip resistance is just common sense. OP got sent home for no steel toes, not about slip resistance it looks like.
NO! BUT In our hub it was just happen to be and inspection that day Don't know who came to see us but in other cases they would of never told me anything.. I think I don't know maybe I should test it with Goin in and playing it off and see if they send me home

dar7776

Banned
Yeah! This is true it's because there is no true leadership in the warehouse it also changes with management to they used to be real hard on us about the steel toe on and stuff now if you talk em down they will just say Slip Resistance, or All Leather Well which is it your confusing me!:confused: