Slowly but surely

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. With the shortage of truck drivers semis will be driving themselves before we know it.
Especially if it can somehow integrate itself among non self-driving cars. I'd trust the automated system over all these puke stains out there behind the wheel now.

Indecisi0n

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. With the shortage of truck drivers semis will be driving themselves before we know it.
Coming from a background in technology it's not as close as you might think .

I am not anti technology but with technology such as this to work you CANNOT mix tech with humans . If you want this system to work the way it's intended then all vehicles would have to be autonomous.

F

Frankie's Friend

I am not anti technology but with technology such as this to work you CANNOT mix tech with humans . If you want this system to work the way it's intended then all vehicles would have to be autonomous.
Yeah, and the other vehicles wouldn't have drivers either.

Indecisi0n

Yeah, and the other vehicles wouldn't have drivers either.

Well currently all these "auto pilot" cars have drivers in them . Driverless cars/trucks technically could work with "auto pilot" as long as they aren't in manual mode . This allows the two vehicles to communicate and know each other's intentions/moves.

F

Frankie's Friend

Well currently all these "auto pilot" cars have drivers in them . Driverless cars/trucks technically could work with "auto pilot" as long as they aren't in manual mode . This allows the two vehicles to communicate and know each other's intentions/moves.
It was supposed to be a (lame) Saturday night joke.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

While I think that certainly makes it much easier I don’t think it’s a necessity.

The first thing in the trucking industry will be convoys where 1 truck with a driver leads a number of other trucks.

I think by 2030 it will start to be accepted as common.

Brownslave688

Especially if it can somehow integrate itself among non self-driving cars. I'd trust the automated system over all these puke stains out there behind the wheel now.
I’ve always wondered if they’ll try to outlaw older vehicles or make them be retrofitted at least with sensors to communicate with newer vehicles.

Heffalump

The infrastructure for self driving in metro cities has got to be huuuge. Streets, lights, buildings all have to be in sync. Completely rebuild cities to accommodate? Fully autonomous routes? Maybe..

Brownslave688

The infrastructure for self driving in metro cities has got to be huuuge. Streets, lights, buildings all have to be in sync. Completely rebuild cities to accommodate? Fully autonomous routes? Maybe..
They are literally already self driving without any of this.

Indecisi0n

Agree . The quickest way for them to get this up and running safely would be to have dedicated driverless cars routes/lanes which doesn't really make sense .

rod

Retired 22 years
Probably too soon but I wonder how a self driving semi would have came out in that rear end crash that killed the feeder driver?