Slowly but surely

F

Frankie's Friend

Whst happens when gps switches satellites thus leaving a lapse without direction?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Well currently all these "auto pilot" cars have drivers in them . Driverless cars/trucks technically could work with "auto pilot" as long as they aren't in manual mode . This allows the two vehicles to communicate and know each other's intentions/moves.

I was having this conversation with my brother-in-law. There will have to be standarization among manufacturers regarding software and communications. I'm not following it closely, so I assume the manufacturers are all developing their own systems, and this will probably be the biggest hurdle to full adoption of the technology. How long did it take to be able to open a file created on a MAC using a PC?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We've experienced a lapse when my diad tells me that I'm not at the right house and the 25 houses thereafter as well until it reconnects.

We started using the navigation recently, I pay it absolutely no mind. The only people it is even likely to help are drivers on routes they've rarely or never done before. I did notice no green light of death while the diad is in the cradle, though. I guess that is where they draw the line for distracted driving.

Last edited:

Heffalump

Agree . The quickest way for them to get this up and running safely would be to have dedicated driverless cars routes/lanes which doesn't really make sense .
Dedicated commercial lanes?
I was having this conversation with my brother-in-law. There will have to be standarization among manufacturers regarding software and communications. I'm not following it closely, so I assume the manufacturers are all developing their own systems, and this will probably be the biggest hurdle to full adoption of the technology. How long did it take to be able to open a file created on a MAC using a PC?
Well UPS is it's own tech company and with all the GPS data they have they will surely be the first to in this aspect but I think they're really trying to see how far they can get with drones..they do bypass roads entirely.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Google has shown it is possible to get good driverless tech today but it costs a ton in computational power, were talking ten grand just to process everything.

There are also still legal issues. If a car decides it is safest to be in the left lane but also cannot speed it may loop an unsafe-yet-neccisary by constraint, a series of braking in order to create safe lead distance. This is how most of the crashes have occured: a rear end because the vehicle stopped to maintain safe lead distance, lol.

Days

Google has shown it is possible to get good driverless tech today but it costs a ton in computational power, were talking ten grand just to process everything.

There are also still legal issues. If a car decides it is safest to be in the left lane but also cannot speed it may loop an unsafe-yet-neccisary by constraint, a series of braking in order to create safe lead distance. This is how most of the crashes have occured: a rear end because the vehicle stopped to maintain safe lead distance, lol.

I wonder if that would still be considered an avoidable accident under UPS terms

F

Frankie's Friend

I wonder if that would still be considered an avoidable accident under UPS terms
Who are they going to write up in the office?

Let's bring in robot union stewards with complete cba knowledge and every panel decision downloaded to represent members and that would be their worst nightmare.

trickpony1

Why the sudden push for driverless cars?
What is the ultimate objective?

Will the owner/driver stay at home and send his car to the grocery store?

We can't find a cure for cancer(s) but, by God, we have driverless cars.

Someone help me understand this...

F

Frankie's Friend

Follow the money.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You really don’t understand?

Will be sold as convenience and safety

Ultimately you replace a ton of workers.