Smart pickups

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Text your oms to send you a pickup for that stop every day otherwise you are not getting credit for making the stop. Also do not use special and scan them you get no credit for the packages you pick up by doing that.

They have a pickup which they are cancelling on their own. He is under no obligation to stop when the pickup drops out of the board.

DOK

There's a business on my route that is a smart pickup but for some reason it cancels the pickup even when they have stuff shipping out. It's the most annoying thing and now I end up stopping there everyday just to make sure I don't leave them hanging. And when they do have stuff I don't know where to enter their packages. Our center tells us to never use unscheduled pickup so I just pick them up without scanning them.
Just scan them under another pickup.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
They have a pickup which they are cancelling on their own. He is under no obligation to stop when the pickup drops out of the board.
You obviously have no idea how smart pickups work they do not call and cancel it. They are automatically cancelled if they do not ship anything out an hour prior to their pickup time. There are many things that could be causing the pickup to cancel out could be a communication issue with their computer or the cutoff time could be set wrong. My suggestion was the correct way for both the driver to get the appropriate credit for the stop and for the customer to be properly billed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You obviously have no idea how smart pickups work they do not call and cancel it. They are automatically cancelled if they do not ship anything out an hour prior to their pickup time. There are many things that could be causing the pickup to cancel out could be a communication issue with their computer or the cutoff time could be set wrong. My suggestion was the correct way for both the driver to get the appropriate credit for the stop and for the customer to be properly billed.

I am very familiar with how smart pickups work as I have 5 of them on my area.

If the pickup drops out of the board the driver has no obligation to stop.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They may have changed the application (Worldship or PickUp API) but the way it works is that if they do not ship a package within one hour of their scheduled pickup time in DCS, the pickup is canceled.
They can then schedule an On Call P/U if they want to but their "Scheduled P/U" is flagged as "NO" in the system and is removed from the driver's DIAD.

BTW, Smart Pickup was my project and why I became interested in Brown Cafe again. I was the person that laid out the rules and helped architect the system.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought you were in charge of putting the Diad buttons in the wrong places
I deployed the DIAD in my district and when I was in the Region but I was never in that branch of UPS IS.
I sure worked with them a lot though.
I was in Customer systems.
I lobbied for years that the Pickup systems should belong to the IE group but to no avail.
Almost everything in the Pickup system is dependant on IE systems and data.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Text your oms to send you a pickup for that stop every day otherwise you are not getting credit for making the stop. Also do not use special and scan them you get no credit for the packages you pick up by doing that.
You get credited for the packages, just not the stop.

BrownTexas

power went out and they needed the package to get out NDA.... your solution?
Their power failed. They can take it to the center or another drop off. You can't expect to do something with a disaster everyday. It's simple. Pick up kicks out.... You don't go by.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Thanks for the suggestions. I've let my on road sup, center manager, and OMS know about this problem but haven't gotten a concrete answer besides 'just stop by everyday'. The business itself is not canceling the pickup. As a matter of fact one morning as I was making a delivery there they showed me that they had already printed up labels for four packages that they were shipping. Yet sure enough at 3:05 the pickup showed up as canceled. I had to prerecord it and then open the pickup on the spot and enter a count of 4 just so it would hold the pickup in the board so I could edit it later. After awhile I just started entering a 1 count everyday so the pickup wouldn't drop out of the board. But it would be nice if the pickup worked the way it was supposed to so I could skip them when they have nothing.

Geo926

Thanks for the suggestions. I've let my on road sup, center manager, and OMS know about this problem but haven't gotten a concrete answer besides 'just stop by everyday'. The business itself is not canceling the pickup. As a matter of fact one morning as I was making a delivery there they showed me that they had already printed up labels for four packages that they were shipping. Yet sure enough at 3:05 the pickup showed up as canceled. I had to prerecord it and then open the pickup on the spot and enter a count of 4 just so it would hold the pickup in the board so I could edit it later. After awhile I just started entering a 1 count everyday so the pickup wouldn't drop out of the board. But it would be nice if the pickup worked the way it was supposed to so I could skip them when they have nothing.

Do they have more then one shipping account? I have a route I cover that has one account under a smart pickup, and then another that is a regular pickup. That smart pickup will drop off, but they still have packages going out under the other account.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Smart Pickups are designed for the occasional shipper and as such not all shippers will qualify.

Smart Pickups are a god send on rural routes.
You have obviously never run a rural route on ORION.

ORION assumes at the beginning of the day that all of my smart pickups will ship something.

When a smart pickup drops off, it can often save me several miles of driving and up to 15 minutes of time.

Fine, I have no problem with that, but even if I did have a valid ORION solution to begin with (which I dont) the resulting change in my miles and time predictions from a smart pickup dropping out would effectively negate that solution and turn it into gibberish. Which, in my case, it already is to begin with.