Smart pickups

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The other issue that smart pickups can create on a rural route is a "see-saw" effect on the dispatch. Lets say 3 or 4 of my smart pickups drop off and I save 15 miles. If I already had a light day to begin with, the loss of miles and stops can cause me to be an underload. So the next morning, my PDS gets his ass reamed on a conference call and adds 20 stops to my dispatch to correct the problem. Then, if none of my smart pickups happen to drop off that day, I can wind up with an 11 or 12 hour plan. Since the PDS is continually forced to "chase a number" based upon the previous days dispatch, smart pickups can have the unintended result of causing your stop count to go up and down like a see-saw every day.

Luv2gym

One of my smart p/u's chooses to drop off their packages whenever they do have ship. Don't really understand the point in having one if you're going to drop them off yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of my smart p/u's chooses to drop off their packages whenever they do have ship. Don't really understand the point in having one if you're going to drop them off yourself.

I have two Smart Pickups that are located next door to one another. One is an engine shop and the other a Nissan dealership. There have been times when the SP for the dealership drops out and when I stop at the engine shop they tell me that they brought them to the dealership.

Even though it does take a bit of training on our part, overall I like the concept behind the Smart Pickup and, despite what sober says, I can see where they would be really advantageous on rural areas.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Do they have more then one shipping account? I have a route I cover that has one account under a smart pickup, and then another that is a regular pickup. That smart pickup will drop off, but they still have packages going out under the other account.

I have a pickup like this as well. But no, the smart pickup I've been having a problem with only has one account.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
This is another area I don't get. If a pickup is 'dead', shouldn't it drop out on it's own? I have live pickups who sometimes screw up and don't pay the bill and that pickup will immediately drop from the board until they pay. Meanwhile these 'dead' pickups remain? How is that? Is UPS still receiving a weekly pickup stipend from them although they moved or no longer ship with us?

wayfair

swollen member
I have two Smart Pickups that are located next door to one another. One is an engine shop and the other a Nissan dealership. There have been times when the SP for the dealership drops out and when I stop at the engine shop they tell me that they brought them to the dealership.

so the dealership is cheating UPS for the pick up?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

so the dealership is cheating UPS for the pick up?

Wu*?

The businesses are next door to one another. The dealership gets deliveries every day while the engine shop does not. The owners of the engine shop know that we stop at the dealership every day and have asked them for permission to leave their pkgs there, which they really don't have to do as I will stop if their pickup is in the board. It's not a huge deal----it's just annoying that I stop at the engine shop only to be told that their pkgs are next door.

wayfair

swollen member
Wu*?

The businesses are next door to one another. The dealership gets deliveries every day while the engine shop does not. The owners of the engine shop know that we stop at the dealership every day and have asked them for permission to leave their pkgs there, which they really don't have to do as I will stop if their pickup is in the board. It's not a huge deal----it's just annoying that I stop at the engine shop only to be told that their pkgs are next door.

Like I said, they are cheating UPS the pickup charge.

Shouldn't UPS be asked permission?

billerz

This is another area I don't get. If a pickup is 'dead', shouldn't it drop out on it's own? I have live pickups who sometimes screw up and don't pay the bill and that pickup will immediately drop from the board until they pay. Meanwhile these 'dead' pickups remain? How is that? Is UPS still receiving a weekly pickup stipend from them although they moved or no longer ship with us?
Sometimes they have stopped paying but the system screws up and leaves it there. Happened on one of the routes I cover, two of the pickups were dead, both businesses had closed down, but the pickups were still in the board.

But yes I think the latter happens as well, where businesses just keep paying or have prepaid even though they closed down.

billerz

Like I said, they are cheating UPS the pickup charge.

Shouldn't UPS be asked permission?
What I'm not a fan of is business that use their daily delivery as a pickup. I know many places that every time I deliver, they say "oh and here's the ones for you" and proceed to give me packages. Sometimes they are RS labels which I don't care about, but other times they aren't. I feel like these people are getting a daily on area pickup for free.

PT Car Washer

What I'm not a fan of is business that use their daily delivery as a pickup. I know many places that every time I deliver, they say "oh and here's the ones for you" and proceed to give me packages. Sometimes they are RS labels which I don't care about, but other times they aren't. I feel like these people are getting a daily on area pickup for free.
You are there anyway. Not like you went out of your way. I always take pick ups when the customer ask, even a ground package on a Saturday.