Smart UPS

Faceplanted

I wish u luck when your day comes jake. These new kids are absolutely terrified of management, they are amazingly unsafe, don't follow the methods and run all day to do 240 stops.

If these guys signed all 3 driving bid sheets ups will pay them at air rate for school
If they were smart and only signed tcd bid sheet school is at 28hr. This has been goin on forever. In my class I was the only one out my class making tcd rate, everybody else was at air driver rate.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I wish u luck when your day comes jake. These new kids are absolutely terrified of management, they are amazingly unsafe, don't follow the methods and run all day to do 240 stops.

If these guys signed all 3 driving bid sheets ups will pay them at air rate for school
If they were smart and only signed tcd bid sheet school is at 28hr. This has been goin on forever. In my class I was the only one out my class making tcd rate, everybody else was at air driver rate.
It's always smart to sign every bid sheet you might want.

I don't know how they're getting away with that. You accept the bid before you go to class here, and they pay you at whatever the current starting rate for that classification is (TCD is $29.59 now).

Now if they're taking an air driving bid and then being used as TCD's on a regular basis that's a whole other issue that needs to be addressed.

Air drivers cannot deliver ground. If they deliver ground they make tcd rate which is 28.xxhr

Knowing these soft ass kids now and days try prob don't even file for it

As an air driver in the south supplement, if you deliver just 1 ground package you are entitled to tcd rate for the whole day.
Air drivers do ground deliveries and pick ups all the time. By contract they are to be paid top FT driver rate for the day when they do. They pay me top driver rate for just shutting ground misloads from one driver to another.

AutoZone

BrownPower

Dammit man, I signed all 3 too.. didn't know they had an "air rate" while in school... talked to a steward tonight, he said if go right into cover without doing air, file right after I qualify the 30 days for the money they stole from me.. he said if they use me for air, then it is what it is.. I'm def not afraid of the management at UPS.. most are garbage.. yes, I'll kiss ass until I qualify.. but I'll damn sure be by the book, and safe before I do anything stupid for those guys that could cost me my safety or my job.. they fill the truck, i empty the truck. The rest is just nonsense numbers that mean nothing to me.

rod

Retired 22 years
I never spent one minute in ANY UPS center for training. I've only been in 2 other UPS centers and it wasn't for training. You can't mess with perfection. They knew a perfect delivery driver when the saw one:-)

AutoZone

BrownPower
It's always smart to sign every bid sheet you might want.

I don't know how they're getting away with that. You accept the bid before you go to class here, and they pay you at whatever the current starting rate for that classification is (TCD is $29.59 now).

Now if they're taking an air driving bid and then being used as TCD's on a regular basis that's a whole other issue that needs to be addressed.
This is exactly what I think they're doing!! Getting us cheap for a week in class.. think how much money they save, it's like a 2 for 1...

Dammit man, I signed all 3 too.. didn't know they had an "air rate" while in school... talked to a steward tonight, he said if go right into cover without doing air, file right after I qualify the 30 days for the money they stole from me.. he said if they use me for air, then it is what it is.. I'm def not afraid of the management at UPS.. most are garbage.. yes, I'll kiss ass until I qualify.. but I'll damn sure be by the book, and safe before I do anything stupid for those guys that could cost me my safety or my job.. they fill the truck, i empty the truck. The rest is just nonsense numbers that mean nothing to me.
Now you know why UPS pays delivery drivers $35/hr to perform such a simple job.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This is exactly what I think they're doing!! Getting us cheap for a week in class.. think how much money they save, it's like a 2 for 1...
What bid did you accept though is the real question.

If a bid TCD only delivers air, they are technically being used an "air exception driver", and get paid the rate for wherever they are in the air driver progression. If a bid air driver delivers or picks up ground, they should be paid top ground rate, not TCD rate.

You can't be a bid air driver and a TCD, it's one or the other. If you're a bid TCD your class should be paid at that rate.

Wait until after you qualify and making half of a top driver and working twice as hard as necessary to help out your management teams screw ups. Next day wanting to know why you were an hour over.

AutoZone

BrownPower
What bid did you accept though is the real question.

If a bid TCD only delivers air, they are technically being used an "air exception driver", and get paid the rate for wherever they are in the air driver progression. If a bid air driver delivers or picks up ground, they should be paid top ground rate, not TCD rate.

You can't be a bid air driver and a TCD, it's one or the other. If you're a bid TCD your class should be paid at that rate.
This has been answered already.. I bid on all 3, ft, CD, and air.. just trying to get out there is course.. when I got called for school, she said I was listed as air and told about the lower rate thru class and asked why am I not getting the CD rate I questioned that knowing there's guys with just a few more months then me that have been out doing cover for the past couple months... she said the CD list is so long it would be months before I get called for it.. that makes no sense!!! How can a guy with 6 months more seniority then me be out every day, but that list is sooooo long, it'll take that long to get called? Last I checked our seniority list he was only 5 people ahead of me... I just think it was a scare tactic to get me to accept the air rate in class knowing I wanted to get in ASAP.. again, "smart UPS"

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Agreed.

I had a ball at school.

We had a couple of Frigid's in our class and it was funny watching them struggle with the DIAD.
Never even touched a DIAD in my class. Was all on the computer. I knew how to use one when I started or else it may have been a bit annoying. Though I had only used the counter board, so EDD was a wonderful discovery.

Ever get hit by a car Frigid?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
This has been answered already.. I bid on all 3, ft, CD, and air.. just trying to get out there is course.. when I got called for school, she said I was listed as air and told about the lower rate thru class and asked why am I not getting the CD rate I questioned that knowing there's guys with just a few more months then me that have been out doing cover for the past couple months... she said the CD list is so long it would be months before I get called for it.. that makes no sense!!! How can a guy with 6 months more seniority then me be out every day, but that list is sooooo long, it'll take that long to get called? Last I checked our seniority list he was only 5 people ahead of me... I just think it was a scare tactic to get me to accept the air rate in class knowing I wanted to get in ASAP.. again, "smart UPS"

You did not "bid" all three, you signed the bids for all three. There's a difference. You accepted an air position apparently which is the bid they called you for hence being paid air rate.

You really need to get a copy of the contract with the southern supplement. It is very clear that you don't know how this process works because all your questions could of been answered in there.

This is why when you were on here 4 months ago saying you went FT, we all told you that you were wrong and that's not what you accepted. We were right.

I have a feeling with your approach and hostile attitude towards anyone in management , you won't make your thirty.

It's a game and it is clear they play it way better than you understand.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

If you're labeled an air driver, you don't earn seniority towards TCD if they take you out and show you how to run airs. That's not how it works. You have to be a TCD classification to earn days towards your seniority

Orion inc.

I like turtles
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1473417235.739451.jpg

Go get one of these and read it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Air drivers cannot deliver ground. If they deliver ground they make tcd rate which is 28.xxhr

Knowing these soft ass kids now and days try prob don't even file for it

As an air driver in the south supplement, if you deliver just 1 ground package you are entitled to tcd rate for the whole day.

This thread is about the pay rate for new drivers going to school.

TTKU