Smartpost offered to us contractors at lesser rate

sadmanhere

over here in nyc they offered from what I hear most of us smartpost for a lesser rate than what we get paid to delivery a package in our contract.

1-there is nothing in writing about the size of these boxes
2-the agreement starts from 10 days of singing till 2025 with no increase in rate
3-they are not giving any sound info on the volume of smartpost

most of the people I talked to are not taking the deal.
why is fedex doing this? usps is raising rates on them?
is anyone taking this offer?

Fedexguyt

over here in nyc they offered from what I hear most of us smartpost for a lesser rate than what we get paid to delivery a package in our contract.

2-the agreement starts from 10 days of singing till 2025 with no increase in rate

What is the difference in pay from a normal stop? Also are you sure about a contract until 2025. I've never heard that one before

bbsam

Staff member
$1.81 per stop. Pure BS. First time I heard about it I asked the MD, "How is that even legal if we 'negotiated' per stop settlement?" He answered that that was the price point for X to make money. Notice how he didn't answer how it was legal...

Fedexguyt

$1.81 per stop. Pure BS. First time I heard about it I asked the MD, "How is that even legal if we 'negotiated' per stop settlement?" He answered that that was the price point for X to make money. Notice how he didn't answer how it was legal...
The problem is even if you don't sign it now it will be mandatory by the next contract

sadmanhere

they make enough money on the huge ICs.

sadmanhere

did most people take or not?
was the deal till 2025 also?

sadmanhere

do you know of them increasing the offer? if we all decline what are they going to do with the packages? just give them to usps? why are they trying to go away from usps?

bbsam

Staff member
Now the rationale is that the smart post coming in will be within 800 feet of packages already inbound. Some may be clamoring to get that relatively easy money. I think that's foolish.

Last edited:

Fedexguyt

Now the rationale is that the smart post coming in will be within 800 feet of packages already inbound. Some may be clamp ring to get that relatively easy money. I think that's foolish.
But you know anything recommended now will be mandatory by the next contract. It always is

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Foolish question time:

I thought that SmartPost by-passed the hubs for processing, going directly from the shipper to a PO Processing Center.

Are they now going to bring those loads in to the hubs, thereby creating more work?

Are you guys going to start dropping off at the PO branches like we do with our SurePost?

bacha29

It doesn't take a Fulbright to figure this one out. If it looks promising in the yes of X then this business will become a contract addendum One of the thousands of "sign it or else" addenda over the years that were tacked on over the life of the original contract.In this case it results in the creation a two tiered delivery rate system They always have and will continue to do whatever they damn well please .

sadmanhere

It doesn't take a Fulbright to figure this one out. If it looks promising in the yes of X then this business will become a contract addendum One of the thousands of "sign it or else" addenda over the years that were tacked on over the life of the original contract.In this case it results in the creation a two tiered delivery rate system They always have and will continue to do whatever they damn well please .

why not a three tiered delivery rate system to include all these huge boxes..i had a patio set take up almost all of aisle(walking space) in my p700 last week.

I don't think they will do a two tiered system .they will factor smartpost in and just lower our overall delivery rate in the future

Fedexguyt

why not a three tiered delivery rate system to include all these huge boxes..i had a patio set take up almost all of aisle(walking space) in my p700 last week.

I don't think they will do a two tiered system .they will factor smartpost in and just lower our overall delivery rate in the future
Once we go Isp nation wide they will throw everything they can on our trucks. I was at a contractor meeting help by a bunch of former express and ground bigwigs recently and they said we can expect to double or triple by 2021. They are weeding out the smaller contractors before they start adding smartpost, freight, and non overnight express. We are the cheapest option for this company and they are going to throw everything they have at us. With the money we have invested and continue to invest in it they know we can't refuse.

It will be fine

Foolish question time:

I thought that SmartPost by-passed the hubs for processing, going directly from the shipper to a PO Processing Center.

Are they now going to bring those loads in to the hubs, thereby creating more work?

Are you guys going to start dropping off at the PO branches like we do with our SurePost?
They do both now. They still have stand alone smartpost hubs but they've started processing a lot of it in the regular Ground hubs. We drop off the smartpost at local the POs depending on volume. Once they get more than about a dozen of those stupid bags full they start sending it on skids.