Smoke Shop Stabbing

vantexan

I tend to agree with him at least on the aspect of hopelessness. I have a friend who is very high up in the prison system. Once these people become lifers. They’ll do anything because there’s no hope of getting out. The kid who did this is a Criminal now. Hopefully whatever level of punishment he receives will be just enough to give him a chance to change and have hope. Obviously My hope comes from a different place than correcto. But I understand where he’s coming from on this issue.
No doubt the further in you get the harder it becomes. Saw a black police chief on "60 Minutes" back about 20 years ago say that for most criminals if they make it until around 35 without dying or doing something so bad they get locked up for a long time then something seems to kick in where they want to stop what they're doing, get a job, and become productive members of society. It's the immaturity, the influence of others, the culture that they're in that gets them into trouble at a young age. And unfortunately we have both liberals and race hustlers telling them that the system is fixed and everything is against them. Vote Democrat and we'll take care of everything for you.

El Correcto

god is dead
Saw a black police chief on "60 Minutes" back about 20 years ago say that for most criminals if they make it until around 35 without dying or doing something so bad they get locked up for a long time then something seems to kick in where they want to stop what they're doing, get a job, and become productive members of society.
Yup early in life it is an adaptation, later in life it just becomes a logical choice, the only thing they are left with if they do end up in trouble.
I truly believe people don’t have a lot of free will early in their life, for some people it’s like they are cannon balls fired out the womb bound for the justice system. I’m not saying don’t punish these young men, I’m just saying there needs to be options for them to rejoin society as something more than a lesser or they will always resort back to that evil they adapted to do.

vantexan

Yup early in life it is an adaptation, later in life it just becomes a logical choice, the only thing they are left with if they do end up in trouble.
I truly believe people don’t have a lot of free will early in their life, for some people it’s like they are cannon balls fired out the womb bound for the justice system. I’m not saying don’t punish these young men, I’m just saying there needs to be options for them to rejoin society as something more than a lesser or they will always resort back to that evil they adapted to do.
Didn't seem to be as big a problem back when we had mandatory military service.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
by the time you are 17 and bad there is very LITTLE chance they will change.
yes, it is possible. there are plenty of books from people who changed their lives around.
I just read this year Danny Trejo's biography. An amazing story. He and others are the exception and not the rule.

The closest I know of success is getting to at risk kids when they are young.
i used to work at a summer camp that brought in inner city JD's for a week or 2 ( not enough time )
They would come in all surly and tough, talking back and acting out.

All we had to do is hold back privileges to the bad and reward the good with fun activities.

For Example; I was on the waterfront . If the kids were bad actors I would have them sit on the beach while all their friends were swimming and having a blast. They learned quick. After about 10 minutes I would ask them if they would behave and listen to me.
YES YES.....so let them in.

The whole camp followed this philosophy and it WORKED. These kids were in the 11-14 year old range.
After a week or so the transformation was amazing. When they were getting on the bus to go back to the city most were crying.

Two weeks is not enough of course. Once they got back home they probably reverted back quickly.

My point is that you have to catch them young and be consistent. This is why I have been involved in scouts most of my life.

most of us know our penal system is broken and needs a total overhaul. Once a kid goes to juvie it is almost all over.
It's a "For Profit" business. There is NO incentive to reform. People are getting rich running these prisons.

With children and grandchildren I don't want predators devouring them. A 16 year old girl from my town in Northern California has been missing for 3 days now. The authorities are considering it an abduction. They must have some evidence.

Tough on criminals.......yes.
Change the system,,,,,,,yes.

El Correcto

god is dead
by the time you are 17 and bad there is very LITTLE chance they will change.
yes, it is possible. there are plenty of books from people who changed their lives around.
I just read this year Danny Trejo's biography. An amazing story. He and others are the exception and not the rule.

The closest I know of success is getting to at risk kids when they are young.
i used to work at a summer camp that brought in inner city JD's for a week or 2 ( not enough time )
They would come in all surly and tough, talking back and acting out.

All we had to do is hold back privileges to the bad and reward the good with fun activities.

For Example; I was on the waterfront . If the kids were bad actors I would have them sit on the beach while all their friends were swimming and having a blast. They learned quick. After about 10 minutes I would ask them if they would behave and listen to me.
YES YES.....so let them in.

The whole camp followed this philosophy and it WORKED. These kids were in the 11-14 year old range.
After a week or so the transformation was amazing. When they were getting on the bus to go back to the city most were crying.

Two weeks is not enough of course. Once they got back home they probably reverted back quickly.

My point is that you have to catch them young and be consistent. This is why I have been involved in scouts most of my life.

most of us know our penal system is broken and needs a total overhaul. Once a kid goes to juvie it is almost all over.
It's a "For Profit" business. There is NO incentive to reform. People are getting rich running these prisons.

With children and grandchildren I don't want predators devouring them. A 16 year old girl from my town in Northern California has been missing for 3 days now. The authorities are considering it an abduction. They must have some evidence.

Tough on criminals.......yes.
Change the system,,,,,,,yes.

At no point did I say go easy on the kid.
I just don’t think you idiots realize what 1-3 years in a violent offender yard is like for juvies or adults. This kid doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell from the couple minutes I’ve seen of his life.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

El Correcto

god is dead
well now it's come to name calling......

that's all I need to know.
You started I was polite despite it. You belittled my point by insisting I’d be better off on California.
Lady you don’t know what the :censored2: you are talking about when it comes to white boys who end up behind bars in a youthful violent offender yard. You are literally being sentenced to hell on earth.

You are sitting here thinking 1-3 years is light on crime, I assure you it is not in this scenario.

El Correcto

god is dead
He's just a super sassy gay. I say that as someone who has no problem with gays and supports gay marriage. Just picture Milo Yiannopoulos talking whenever you're reading one of his posts. Changes the whole feeling and tone of it.

I think juvenile hall and youthful offender crap is too much for most these kids. Hell I think sentencing a teen to more than minimum is straight up evil, unless we are talking rape, murder or certified gang bangers doing gang activity.

Box Ox

I think juvenile hall and youthful offender crap is too much for most these kids. Hell I think sentencing a teen to more than minimum is straight up evil, unless we are talking rape, murder or certified gang bangers doing gang activity.

Just FYI: I deleted that post you just quoted. Started feeling a little bad about it. I bring up you and Milo too much.

El Correcto

god is dead
Hell I think the minimum is too high for most youthful offenders and state law tends to agree with me. They allow judges to sentence teens below the minimum regularly and then let teens out earlier than that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Hell I think the minimum is too high for most youthful offenders and state law tends to agree with me. They allow judges to sentence teens below the minimum regularly and then let teens out earlier than that.
I've got no problem with this.
My issue is with sentences being reduced for minors, and also expunged and sealed.

If they reoffend, the previous crimes should be visible to judges and taken into account at sentencing.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
  • Ayobiyi Cook, 29, a registered nurse from Birmingham, Alabama, was shot and killed by her own son
  • The 12-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mother while playing with a gun
  • The boy lied and told detectives that there was an intruder in the house who ran from the scene
  • There was no sign of forced entry and police continued to question the boy until he admitted that he had killed his mother accidentally
  • The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office will turn the matter over to the Family Court system
  • The child will remain with his family, who police say have been cooperative throughout the investigation