SNEAKY PLAN TO TAX YOU PER MILE YOU DRIVE HIDDEN IN INFRASTRUCTURE BILL!

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The dude made his own private company that beats NASA, and developed the first new major car manufacturer in a century, and you think he hasn't heard of voltage drop. It's a joke.
1628537869268.png

Are you a Big Businessman there in the Admin pool?

wilberforce15

By design, the Tesla Cybertruck isn’t an option. My trailers hook in the bed, you can tow a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer on a truck with angled bed sides like that because you can’t turn without the trailer hitting the bed.

14k pounds towing and 3500lbs of payload isn’t “great” by any standard, it’s pretty much on par with most half-ton or gas 3/4 ton trucks.

I’ll keep my 1 Ton Ram and it’s Cummins diesel until there’s an HD EV that doesn’t cost 50% more to purchase.

FWIW with all of the emissions BS the EPA has choked out Diesel engines with, I’m not opposed to an EV at all, but the offerings just aren’t there yet. I struggle with the idea of paying more money for a less capable vehicle.

This is subjective statement and doesn’t mean anything for its performance, but to me the Cybertruck suffers from the same issue most Hybrids and EVs do, being that it’s just plain ugly.
You've successfully made the point that the cybertruck is equal to the rest of the offerings in its class, or better, and it is still too expensive for most heavier applications and not as good at them. Everyone already admits that.

Time solves these things. I've made no claim that they are better at everything right now.

The ugliness is a design feature - it's easier to produce and keeps costs lower than they would otherwise be.

wilberforce15

We haven't even reached major production of electric trucks, and somehow it's a knock against them that they don't out-tow a 1-ton diesel.

It's funny how the goalposts move.

EVs aren't better at X. Then they are. Then they ask about Y. Then they're better at Y. Then they're not better at Z....and so on.

HFolb23

We haven't even reached major production of electric trucks, and somehow it's a knock against them that they don't out-tow a 1-ton diesel.

It's funny how the goalposts move.

EVs aren't better at X. Then they are. Then they ask about Y. Then they're better at Y. Then they're not better at Z....and so on.
You've successfully made the point that the cybertruck is equal to the rest of the offerings in its class, or better, and it is still too expensive for most heavier applications and not as good at them. Everyone already admits that.

Time solves these things. I've made no claim that they are better at everything right now.

The ugliness is a design feature - it's easier to produce and keeps costs lower than they would otherwise be.

You started by saying that EVs were better at most things for most people. I kindly pointed out that may by true for yourself, but not where I live.

You used the word “great” to describe the capabilities with the Cybertruck when in reality “average” or “comparable” would’ve been a much more fitting description. “Great” to me would be exceptional or at least above average, not on par with the rest of the offerings.

Nobody has shifted the goalposts, you’re just trying to make your statement fit into the examples im giving you as to why EVs aren’t the best thing since sliced bread.

FWIW if you own a sedan just for transportation then an EV is probably perfect for you. My point was that not all of us use our vehicles strictly as people movers and need to go places a sedan won’t be able to.

wilberforce15

You started by saying that EVs were better at most things for most people. I kindly pointed out that may by true for yourself, but not where I live.

You used the word “great” to describe the capabilities with the Cybertruck when in reality “average” or “comparable” would’ve been a much more fitting description. “Great” to me would be exceptional or at least above average, not on par with the rest of the offerings.

Nobody has shifted the goalposts, you’re just trying to make your statement fit into the examples im giving you as to why EVs aren’t the best thing since sliced bread.

FWIW if you own a sedan just for transportation then an EV is probably perfect for you. My point was that not all of us use our vehicles strictly as people movers and need to go places a sedan won’t be able to.
It is better at most things for most people. And where you live isn't most people.

Towing 15,000lbs+ for distance isn't just a minority of drivers, it's a small minority of truck owners. Most trucks exist to go to home depot or carry plumbing supplies or landscaping equipment. That's normal.

In those use cases, the cybertruck is better, but not better at a given price.

It will be better as a snow plow. It will be better as an overlander. And it will be better for local small businesses that need regular trucks.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
It is better at most things for most people. And where you live isn't most people.

Towing 15,000lbs+ for distance isn't just a minority of drivers, it's a small minority of truck owners. Most trucks exist to go to home depot or carry plumbing supplies or landscaping equipment. That's normal.

In those use cases, the cybertruck is better, but not better at a given price.

It will be better as a snow plow. It will be better as an overlander. And it will be better for local small businesses that need regular trucks.
Your presumptions are hysterical....
You don't have a clue about what you're talking about...

wilberforce15

I also have a 15 passenger van. I expect it might be 15 more years before a semi-affordable EV is made that can compete with a basic E-350.

But that's why I said it was only a matter of time. The platform is objectively superior.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have a Tesla and a standard midtier gas sedan.

The sedan takes more time to refuel, requires more maintenance, is slower, and I leave it behind even for 500 mile trips.

EVs are simply better at most things. And they'll soon be cheaper, too.
I bet all you own is a skateboard you poser

rod

Retired 22 years
I also have a 15 passenger van. I expect it might be 15 more years before a semi-affordable EV is made that can compete with a basic E-350.

But that's why I said it was only a matter of time. The platform is objectively superior.
Is an E-350 some kind of Studebaker?

wilberforce15

Your presumptions are hysterical....
You don't have a clue about what you're talking about...
The vast majority of truck owners don't own 15,000 lb+ trailers. That's a raw fact.

Most of them never even go to Home Depot or help their friends move. They're for silly programmers to feel less sissy.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
a trillion here , a trillion there....before you know it you're talking about some real money.

with all these trillion dollar stimulus packages , guaranteed income programs, $2000 monthly stimulus packages perhaps coming , most people are starting to think this is all Monopoly money.

trillion dollar infrastructure package? ......"ah, what the hell....."

wilberforce15

Since the cybertruck has more towing, payload, torque, horsepower, and ground clearance than the the 2020 F150, silverado 1500, Sierra 1500, Tundra, Titan, and Ram...which of those aren't real trucks.?

Just cuz it won't tow this guys 5th wheel, it's not a truck. Lol