So a new guy is qualifying in my center

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We are short on drivers right now so I think sup may have been out on road, not sure how it got that bad! Feel for the guy though...seems like they just threw him to the wolves.
OMS should still see it. Even if the sup was on road he should be checking.

Not being there isn't an excuse. You're still responsible

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I had my annual S&V ride on Thursday and was shocked at how many phone calls the on car received from the newer drivers during the ride. There must have been at least 10 calls.

I can't recall ever having to call an on car unless I was directed to do so via an ODS.
10 calls would be a great day for me

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I had my annual S&V ride on Thursday and was shocked at how many phone calls the on car received from the newer drivers during the ride. There must have been at least 10 calls.

I can't recall ever having to call an on car unless I was directed to do so via an ODS.

I was shuttling airs when I got a call from my ORS at 11am to help one of the new drivers who was qualifying. Apparently he was on the verge of "an existential breakdown" and needed help already.

The best part was when I showed up to help the driver and his reaction when he saw me in the sprinter van was "wait is that it?"

I had half a mind to call my ORS and say I blew a tire on the way and couldn't help.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was shuttling airs when I got a call from my ORS at 11am to help one of the new drivers who was qualifying. Apparently he was on the verge of "an existential breakdown" and needed help already.

The best part was when I showed up to help the driver and his reaction when he saw me in the sprinter van was "wait is that it?"

I had half a mind to call my ORS and say I blew a tire on the way and couldn't help.
I was out blind on a very rural route last year and I knew I was doing a horrible job so far. Around 6pm I was lost on some dirt road with about 20 stops left and all the sudden in the distance I see a ups car driving toward me. I was so relived at first because I figured the center sent the driver on the route next to mine to come help me out...

Turns out I was more lost than I thought because it was a driver from a different center in a completely different county. The first thing he said to me was "Do you even know where you are?" I was pretty deflated after thinking I was getting help to finding out I was even more lost than I realized haha.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was out blind on a very rural route last year and I knew I was doing a horrible job so far. Around 6pm I was lost on some dirt road with about 20 stops left and all the sudden in the distance I see a ups car driving toward me. I was so relived at first because I figured the center sent the driver on the route next to mine to come help me out...

Turns out I was more lost than I thought because it was a driver from a different center in a completely different county. The first thing he said to me was "Do you even know where you are?" I was pretty deflated after thinking I was getting help to finding out I was even more lost than I realized haha.
I remember getting lost on a rural route in west Georgia and I finally came to a store ... I was in Alabama.
And no, my car was not licensed to be in Alabama.
Never told anyone until I was in management.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm amazed at the quality of new drivers we have been getting the last year or so. A lot of them should have been disqualified for simply not being able to do the job. We are scraping under the bottom of the barrel at the current time.

LeadBelly

Banned
Today was his first day out on his own.
I was getting some pizza on my break when I finished up tonight, and he rolled past me. Decided to go check in on him because I know his route like the back of my hand. Poor guy missed like 20-25 businesses. Two whole blocks...Something is telling me I won't be seeing him much longer. Have you guys seen a lot of people completely tank during their 30 day packet??
Oh yea, this job isn't for everyone. The way people are coming up now days, I see it getting harder and harder to find people to do this job.

10 Pt

I remember getting lost on a rural route in west Georgia and I finally came to a store ... I was in Alabama.
And no, my car was not licensed to be in Alabama.
Never told anyone until I was in management.
All the red dirt roads run together down there.
Just breathing in the pulp mill's vapors probably ruins your brain.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It was a nightmare for me but it seems like the new guys now a days are pampered to extreme measures. Dudes on week 2 still below 180 stops. Come on man, week 2, give the man the entire route already and stop giving split routes 280 stops with 4 splits.
Maybe the problem is when I was in package guys never had 180 stops except for Christmas with a helper....building with 200 drivers and not 1 route went out with 180 stops let alone 280 stops, this was only a few years ago with routes set up properly and with edd....280 stops a day no matter how tight the area is a joke....why have some routes almost doubled because of a remote start...absolute joke..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you get your 30 days in Temp driving no matter if it takes years as long as you have your 30 days in your good.Of course the free period don't count.It took me 9 years to go full time.
Ups wants to dangle that ft carrot in front of temp drivers....want obrien to get rid of all temp cover driver...only temp drivers during nov and dec....

Noreaga

I was getting some pizza on my break when I finished up tonight, and he rolled past me. Decided to go check in on him because I know his route like the back of my hand. Poor guy missed like 20-25 businesses. Two whole blocks...Something is telling me I won't be seeing him much longer. Have you guys seen a lot of people completely tank during their 30 day packet??
Someone from management should have rode with him.. He shouldn't have missed that many that's poor planning on their part.. no lie someone from my bldg left the center manager on route when he was trying to qualify that was about 10 years ago.. let's just say he still hasn't qualified since then..

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They come and they go...Sink or swim!

davidix

Maybe the problem is when I was in package guys never had 180 stops except for Christmas with a helper....building with 200 drivers and not 1 route went out with 180 stops let alone 280 stops, this was only a few years ago with routes set up properly and with edd....280 stops a day no matter how tight the area is a joke....why have some routes almost doubled because of a remote start...absolute joke..

I have no idea but it's a bunch of bs...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They come and they go...Sink or swim!
I don't know about you Wally but I wouldn't want to be trying to qualify as a new driver today...the numbers are worse than they have ever been and they want these new drivers to be soMe sort of hybrid super trucker....this company has gone from wanting you to keep a decent pace and keep the wheels moving all the way to don't say one word to the customer and make sure you aren't taking a wiz on the clock and you better be "walking" at a faster pace than a brisk pace... and hit every method every time because if you don't there will be discipline...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I don't know about you Wally but I wouldn't want to be trying to qualify as a new driver today...the numbers are worse than they have ever been and they want these new drivers to be soMe sort of hybrid super trucker....this company has gone from wanting you to keep a decent pace and keep the wheels moving all the way to don't say one word to the customer and make sure you aren't taking a wiz on the clock and you better be "walking" at a faster pace than a brisk pace... and hit every method every time because if you don't there will be discipline...
I started on paper with a paper pickup log. No EDD, or coddling.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I started on paper with a paper pickup log. No EDD, or coddling.
You guys had it easier back in the day... come on... I know many old timers who were absolute Milkers....you had better allowances and there was less micromanagement...no it still wasn't perfect but I know most of the old timers would kill to go back to those times( except for the pay!!)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes and no.

It is nice knowing how many packages that you have for each stop and where they are (supposed to be) in the car.

I was able to coach my son's LL and Babe Ruth teams----no way I could do that today.

Used to take my lunch and watch my kids play hockey---not happening today.

If I needed to run errands I would take a longer lunch---not now.

Yes, the loads and pay were lighter, but we were able to get off work in time to do stuff. Not anymore.