So a new guy is qualifying in my center

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Yes and no.

It is nice knowing how many packages that you have for each stop and where they are (supposed to be) in the car.

I was able to coach my son's LL and Babe Ruth teams----no way I could do that today.

Used to take my lunch and watch my kids play hockey---not happening today.

If I needed to run errands I would take a longer lunch---not now.

Yes, the loads and pay were lighter, but we were able to get off work in time to do stuff. Not anymore.
I can remember when a terrible day at work was getting off at 6:30. With driver sort and load, 5:30 was the norm. How many of you remember the "nobody over 9.5 " speech during the pcm back in the 90's?

iowa boy

I remember when UPS wanted a 8.20 plan on the street; then it went to 8.50, then 9.0, then 9.30, to now 9.49.

9.49 plan? What is this? We have routes that went out a year ago with 95 stops and 160 miles and that was a 9.5 plan. The same routes go out now with 110 to 125 stops, 20 more miles, and its still a 9.5 plan. How does this UPS math work?

I don't put too much stock in the whole planned day anymore because of the UPS math that is used now...

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I was out blind on a very rural route last year and I knew I was doing a horrible job so far. Around 6pm I was lost on some dirt road with about 20 stops left and all the sudden in the distance I see a ups car driving toward me. I was so relived at first because I figured the center sent the driver on the route next to mine to come help me out...

Turns out I was more lost than I thought because it was a driver from a different center in a completely different county. The first thing he said to me was "Do you even know where you are?" I was pretty deflated after thinking I was getting help to finding out I was even more lost than I realized haha.
Happened to me once too...I was out blind and refused to use my phone to get around...it was around lunch time and I turn a corner and see 4 ups trucks all parked together...I see one of the drivers mouth "w...t....friend" and squint at me confused...they weren't even from the same building as me

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes and no.

It is nice knowing how many packages that you have for each stop and where they are (supposed to be) in the car.

I was able to coach my son's LL and Babe Ruth teams----no way I could do that today.

Used to take my lunch and watch my kids play hockey---not happening today.

If I needed to run errands I would take a longer lunch---not now.

Yes, the loads and pay were lighter, but we were able to get off work in time to do stuff. Not anymore.
You say you still get off by 5....what time were you getting off a few years ago???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And, no diad and no green light of death.
Along with no pesky messages all day!
They would just call ahead to the first pickup and leave a message for the driver to call the center when he got there ... worked at a place where that happened many times throughout the couple years that I worked there and the driver always seemed to be pissed off when I told him his bosses wanted him to call them....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They would just call ahead to the first pickup and leave a message for the driver to call the center when he got there ... worked at a place where that happened many times throughout the couple years that I worked there and the driver always seemed to be :censored2: off when I told him his bosses wanted him to call them....

Standard reply

What message

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They would just call ahead to the first pickup and leave a message for the driver to call the center when he got there ... worked at a place where that happened many times throughout the couple years that I worked there and the driver always seemed to be :censored2: off when I told him his bosses wanted him to call them....
Of course the bozo's would call about 10 pickups, all leaving messages...."do they want me to call again"?...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
9.49 plan? What is this? We have routes that went out a year ago with 95 stops and 160 miles and that was a 9.5 plan. The same routes go out now with 110 to 125 stops, 20 more miles, and its still a 9.5 plan. How does this UPS math work?

I don't put too much stock in the whole planned day anymore because of the UPS math that is used now...
They are scammers... nothing less nothing more

Re-Raise

Probably just wanted to tell him what a good job he was doing!

Re-Raise

That's what they did when my wife was in the hospital with our first child.
When my wife was pregnant with our first UPS gave me a pager to keep with me while I was delivering. I got a page while I was delivering to a place they called the pump house, down a dead end road that ended at the river.

I frantically asked to use the phone thinking that my wife was in labor. She wasn't, and work just wanted me for something else. I left there and drove about 25 minutes back to town for my next delivery, and realized I left my board back at the pump house... long day

When my wife was pregnant with our first UPS gave me a pager to keep with me while I was delivering. I got a page while I was delivering to a place they called the pump house, down a dead end road that ended at the river.

I frantically asked to use the phone thinking that my wife was in labor. She wasn't, and work just wanted me for something else. I left there and drove about 25 minutes back to town for my next delivery, and realized I left my board back at the pump house... long day
:censored2: happens.