so did obama just screw our 2013 contract? (health care)

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Tea, you should also remember that back then it was not uncommon for a patient to barter with their doctor or to offer goods or services in lieu of cash payment. For example, if the patient were a carpenter, he may offer to do some carpentry work for the doctor if he was unable to pay him in cash.

Upstate, I was going to add a couple of lines regarding bartering in lieu of $$$.. But got kicked off of the computer!!!! So didn't have the time to add it. Thanks bringing that up.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If anyone is interested, you can go to the current events forum where there is an "Obamacare" thread since it seems the original post has went a different direction:

Not a chance, many of us are way to smart to go to that forum and talk politics. No won ever wins in politics and feelings get hurt. U political nazis can have that forum, we will stay here and debate prorperly, PS please dont tell any of "THEM" about tis thread in this forum.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sword, hospitals are required to provide emergency care to everyone regardless of insurance or ability to pay; however, that care is limited to stabilizing the patient so, yes, they will stabilize and then transfer to a public facility for further treatment, which you and I will ultimately pay for.

SWORDFISH

Sword, hospitals are required to provide emergency care to everyone regardless of insurance or ability to pay; however, that care is limited to stabilizing the patient so, yes, they will stabilize and then transfer to a public facility for further treatment, which you and I will ultimately pay for.

Yes, your right thats why I wrote that in ( ). I would consider that kind of thing an emergency even though they dont.

FAVREFAN

how many tires and rims were you buying before the stimulus money fixed your roads. How much did you save? I'm just thinking we should compare the 800 billion your tax dollars will pay for to your savings for tires and rims to see if the cost was worth it?

The $245Billion "banks" bailout will be paid in full with around an extra $19 in interest/fees that the government is charging them. It was a great business deal for the American people. I don't agree with all the stimulus money spent but much of it I do. As far as spending over $900 billion on healthcare over 10 years........Well, we had $2.2Trillion to spend on 2 wars half way around the world over 8 years. Why not spend $920Billion on our own people? Just a different angle to view it at, that's all.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
The $245Billion "banks" bailout will be paid in full with around an extra $19 in interest/fees that the government is charging them. It was a great business deal for the American people. I don't agree with all the stimulus money spent but much of it I do. As far as spending over $900 billion on healthcare over 10 years........Well, we had $2.2Trillion to spend on 2 wars half way around the world over 8 years. Why not spend $920Billion on our own people? Just a different angle to view it at, that's all.
There you go, being rational and factual again! <grin>

As a FavreFan, should we start the pool on whether our favorite qb is going to be in purple and white again? I think he comes back. He had too good a year not to.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, perscriptions drugs are not covered under the cdn healthcare system. Unless they are those very expensive ones (cancer, aids, etc). Where it basically exceeds the amount of money you can earn.

Swordfish, once you have diabetes 2. Thats it, you have it for life (in most cases). Has nothing to do with losing weight or eating healthier.
Once I eat a slice of bread, or a potatoe, or even a carrot (they all contain carbs). I need insulin, since my body stopped producing enough, even for the basics.
And, I was never overweight. Never weighed more then 160 lbs in my life, being 5"11 tall.

I pay those expenses out of pocket now, insulin and test stripes. Atleast, until I get back to work, again. Since most employers have a free plan for drugs.
Or I could join the Blue Cross Insurance program, and pay my dues.
But, I'll be working again. So, I'm just paying cash , the total amount for now.

blue efficacy

I meant to say not all circumstances will match up to my statement but if you have diabetes 2 and they want to keep you on insulin for the rest of your life I dont believe in that. If you have diabetes 1 thats more complicated.
I do have diabetes 1, thankyouverymuch.

It's insulin or die, yo

SWORDFISH

Well, perscriptions drugs are not covered under the cdn healthcare system. Unless they are those very expensive ones (cancer, aids, etc). Where it basically exceeds the amount of money you can earn.

Swordfish, once you have diabetes 2. Thats it, you have it for life (in most cases). Has nothing to do with losing weight or eating healthier.
Once I eat a slice of bread, or a potatoe, or even a carrot (they all contain carbs). I need insulin, since my body stopped producing enough, even for the basics.
And, I was never overweight. Never weighed more then 160 lbs in my life, being 5"11 tall.

I pay those expenses out of pocket now, insulin and test stripes. Atleast, until I get back to work, again. Since most employers have a free plan for drugs.
Or I could join the Blue Cross Insurance program, and pay my dues.
But, I'll be working again. So, I'm just paying cash , the total amount for now.

I disagree respectfully w/ both of you in the long run anyway. You of course need it till you can slowly get away from it. I believe all forms can be overcome. There is alot of stuff out there that people dont know about. My dad actually was diagnosed w/ diabetes and is now free of it. Where theres a will theres a way. Im more of a believer in medicine to save your life and then finding a way to live w/ out it. I would encourage you guys to do alot of your own studying outside what the doctor says. Sorry to hear you both have it though I have seen some of the scary situations that can happen. Definetly wouldnt wish them on anybody.

SWORDFISH

There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts.

I love the quote!!!!

JonFrum

True. You beat me to the punch. I was going to ask how many knew what EMTALA was?

That's the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act of 1986.

I believe it defines "an emergency" broadly to include many conditions, and defines "treatment until the patient is stabilized" liberally to include the usual follow-up visits. If you show up with a broken bone, or need stiches, for example, the hospital and doctor are required to fix you up, and also see you for follow-up visits to monitor your progress, remove the cast, remove the stiches etc. All for free if you can't pay. It's been like this since 1986!!!

Doctors and hospitals err on the side of safety, in part, because of the legal penalties if they are found guilty of not treating someone fully.

klein

Für Meno :)
True. You beat me to the punch. I was going to ask how many knew what EMTALA was?

That's the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act of 1986.

I believe it defines "an emergency" broadly to include many conditions, and defines "treatment until the patient is stabilized" liberally to include the usual follow-up visits. If you show up with a broken bone, or need stiches, for example, the hospital and doctor are required to fix you up, and also see you for follow-up visits to monitor your progress, remove the cast, remove the stiches etc. All for free if you can't pay. It's been like this since 1986!!!

Doctors and hospitals err on the side of safety, in part, because of the legal penalties if they are found guilty of not treating someone fully.

I would not say, all fro free !
Since a bill(s), will still show up in thier mailboxes.
They just don't pay them. (which does have some concequences).

JonFrum

Consequences. Like adding to the landfill when the bill is tossed in the trash. Or getting a nasty paper cut if the bill is opened; which sends the guy right back to the emergency room. And so the vicious Cycle of Poverty continues. :happy2:

tieguy

Banned
Thomas Sowell this health plan don't add up

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=4de8f273-fb20-4b07-90c2-559467bc5c52&headline=Thomas+Sowell%3A+This+health-care+plan+just+doesn't+add+up

"
The Obama health-care plan can be financed without increasing the federal deficit -- if the administration takes hundreds of billions of dollars from Medicare. But Medicare itself does not have enough money to pay its own way over time.
However money is juggled in the short run, the government's financial liabilities are increased by adding this huge new entitlement of government-provided insurance. The fact that these new financial liabilities can be kept out of the official federal deficit projection, by claiming that they will be paid for with money taken from Medicare, changes nothing in the real world.
I can say that I can afford to buy a Rolls-Royce, without going into debt, by using my inheritance from a rich uncle. But, in the real world, the question would arise immediately whether I in fact have a rich uncle, not to mention whether this hypothetical rich uncle would be likely to leave me enough money to buy a Rolls-Royce."

tieguy

Banned

We're so fortunate to have such a world reknown expert on health care here to educate our dumb behinds.:smart: