So, Fedex, what do you think about the paycuts?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Keep bending over, because Fred won't allow unionization. Wake up and smell the coffee - it just won't happen. I know there is no real big education level upstairs, but what does it take for you to understand that!

Wow!! Impressive red letters!! Here's a news flash for you...Smith is not God, even though you apparently think he is. It's out of his hands, and there's nothing he can do IF his employees decide they want to go union...and a lot of them are fully fed-up with the BS.Once the new administration takes over, Fred knows his special exemption for the RLA is history. And there's more upstairs here than in your entire family combined.

DS

Fenderbender
In case you haven't noticed,the economy is rather slow right now,Look at the auto industry,all the benefits the UAW fought for are being given up just so people can keep thier jobs.The teamsters are no different.
They have been and still are associated with corruption and greed.
Think twice before you start pumping your money in that direction.

FedEx All the Way!

Wow!! Impressive red letters!! Here's a news flash for you...Smith is not God, even though you apparently think he is. It's out of his hands, and there's nothing he can do IF his employees decide they want to go union...and a lot of them are fully fed-up with the BS.Once the new administration takes over, Fred knows his special exemption for the RLA is history. And there's more upstairs here than in your entire family combined.

I'm so happy to read you were impressed by my red letters (LOL)! By the way, no, I don't think he's GOD! WOW! By your post, you actually think that Fred is stupid. GEEEEEEE, I wonder why you think so?!? Do you actually think he'll allow unionization when he was the one who started an empire! What kind of a stupid business man do you really think he is.

Actually, I am so impressed at the fact that you think he's that stupid. It really doesn't take much from you to show your true colors. GET A LIFE! HOP ON OVER TO UPS - OOOOOPSSSSS! You probably know how to run their business as well.

One last note, leave my family out of this. They truly don't deserve reading information from a low class selfish maroon.

FedEx All the Way!

In case you haven't noticed,the economy is rather slow right now,Look at the auto industry,all the benefits the UAW fought for are being given up just so people can keep thier jobs.The teamsters are no different.
They have been and still are associated with corruption and greed.
Think twice before you start pumping your money in that direction.

You hit right on the nose!

New Englander

You hit right on the nose!

I honestly am praying the Teamsters get to you guys! Nothing like driving your wages and expenses up!

Let's level the playing field.

Though I also see the downside of the Teamsters getting in......though from an Express drivers view. Too bad these guys don't understand that view.

SmithBarney

Unfortunately I have to disagree, the UAW and even the auto industry is a completely different situation.

Take auto company X factory , and put it in town Y of 30,000 of which 29,999 work for X.
Now when the whole workforce says we want more money, X cannot say, umm we'll just
go get someone else to do the job. So in affect Town Y has Company X by the B's.

This is how the auto industry got where it is today, lots of Town Y's out there.

As far as what FedEx'rs would pay in union dues?
Right now I pay twice for insurance what I paid in union dues when I was at UPS.
So it would be a wash financially to me.
And yes its a risk, but I bet with the number of unhappy workers(everyone I work with gripes, 10x worse than the guys at UPS, and with more legitimate complaints)

Testicular Fortitude

FREDLY00,I totally agree with you about the auto industry.The corporate management of the auto industry is also to blame.As far as union dues are concerned I believe its the equivalent of 1.5 or 2 hours pay per month approximately 35 to 45 dollars.My benefits at Fedex cost me 95 dollars a week.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What would be the downside?

The downside would be job cuts. The first thing Fred would do upon us voting-in the Teamsters is to slash positions, which would be interesting since most locations are already understaffed and route capacity maxed-out.

Ricochet1

As with all things relating to Fred’s labor issues, I’m sure he’s thought this one out too. In order for unionization to work (from the employees perspective), Express and Ground would have to do it simultaneously. If just Express were to unionize, Fred has a ready supply of experienced drivers working in the Ground division, that he’d offer incentives to come over to Express. Since Ground is still under the legal umbrella of Independent Contractor, their unionizing would be meaningless, until and unless their classification was changed to employee. This may happen with the incoming administration, but it is going to happen at the pace of our legal system, which measures time in years, not months.

As Mr. FedEx has alluded to, Express is understaffed and route capacity/utilization is higher than it was just a couple of years ago. Part of Fred’s plan is to increase efficiency by implementing the ROADS system, to make Express mirror UPS’s efficiency in getting pieces delivered. The differences between Express and UPS that were so apparent just a few years ago are quickly disappearing. What is not changing along with the changes in Express’ business model, is the compensation offered to its hourly employees. Express is becoming more efficient; however the employees are not sharing in that gain in efficiency. To the contrary, because of the increase in business efficiency, Express hourly employees have to work harder and harder, and have absolutely no chance in getting increased compensation in exchange. Express is in part becoming more efficient in business terms because the total employee compensation package is being eroded, while actual work efficiency is being increased.

Given the mind-set of many Express employees, I don’t believe unionization attempts within Express will be successful. Too many long term employees see unions as the “bogey man”, and fear what they know not of. They’d rather Fred continue to take away their benefits, and make them work harder, than to take a chance on unionizing and fighting back. I hear the mantra of, “at least I still have a job”, so often that it makes me sick. This is the definition of indentured servitude, rather than that of an equal relationship between employer and employee.

FedEx has changed, and the changes are not palatable to me, and many other employees. I believe that Fred wants to do whatever is possible to get the stock price back up to where it was a few years ago, so he can cash out his stake at the old stock price, retire, and exit chairmanship. I and many other employees have also decided that it is time to exit FedEx. This past “peak” was my last with FedEx. I will exit FedEx this year, when the time is right for me. I at least have other options, so I’m not left muttering, “at least I still have a job”. The irony is that the employees that do have this mindset are the very employees that are reluctant to unionize to protect what they have/had. It is the employees that aren’t afraid to leave for other pastures, which have the courage to fight, and the resolve to make a decision that is right for them. I have the courage to fight; it is just that I realize it would be a lost cause, so therefore it would be a meaningless fight. As to the employees that would be left, I hope they can gain solace by telling themselves every time they are screwed that at least they still have a job each time. It may make the screwing feel a little better for them.

SmithBarney

FREDLY00,I totally agree with you about the auto industry.The corporate management of the auto industry is also to blame.As far as union dues are concerned I believe its the equivalent of 1.5 or 2 hours pay per month approximately 35 to 45 dollars.My benefits at Fedex cost me 95 dollars a week.

Wow your benefits are a lot more expensive than mine
I pay about 25/week and that's for me and my wife with dental and vision and extra life.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wow your benefits are a lot more expensive than mine
I pay about 25/week and that's for me and my wife with dental and vision and extra life.

Typical for FedEx...we pay more for much less in terms of benefits. Fred screws us every which way whenever and wherever he can.

Testicular Fortitude

As with all things relating to Fred’s labor issues, I’m sure he’s thought this one out too. In order for unionization to work (from the employees perspective), Express and Ground would have to do it simultaneously. If just Express were to unionize, Fred has a ready supply of experienced drivers working in the Ground division, that he’d offer incentives to come over to Express. Since Ground is still under the legal umbrella of Independent Contractor, their unionizing would be meaningless, until and unless their classification was changed to employee. This may happen with the incoming administration, but it is going to happen at the pace of our legal system, which measures time in years, not months.

As Mr. FedEx has alluded to, Express is understaffed and route capacity/utilization is higher than it was just a couple of years ago. Part of Fred’s plan is to increase efficiency by implementing the ROADS system, to make Express mirror UPS’s efficiency in getting pieces delivered. The differences between Express and UPS that were so apparent just a few years ago are quickly disappearing. What is not changing along with the changes in Express’ business model, is the compensation offered to its hourly employees. Express is becoming more efficient; however the employees are not sharing in that gain in efficiency. To the contrary, because of the increase in business efficiency, Express hourly employees have to work harder and harder, and have absolutely no chance in getting increased compensation in exchange. Express is in part becoming more efficient in business terms because the total employee compensation package is being eroded, while actual work efficiency is being increased.

Given the mind-set of many Express employees, I don’t believe unionization attempts within Express will be successful. Too many long term employees see unions as the “bogey man”, and fear what they know not of. They’d rather Fred continue to take away their benefits, and make them work harder, than to take a chance on unionizing and fighting back. I hear the mantra of, “at least I still have a job”, so often that it makes me sick. This is the definition of indentured servitude, rather than that of an equal relationship between employer and employee.

FedEx has changed, and the changes are not palatable to me, and many other employees. I believe that Fred wants to do whatever is possible to get the stock price back up to where it was a few years ago, so he can cash out his stake at the old stock price, retire, and exit chairmanship. I and many other employees have also decided that it is time to exit FedEx. This past “peak” was my last with FedEx. I will exit FedEx this year, when the time is right for me. I at least have other options, so I’m not left muttering, “at least I still have a job”. The irony is that the employees that do have this mindset are the very employees that are reluctant to unionize to protect what they have/had. It is the employees that aren’t afraid to leave for other pastures, which have the courage to fight, and the resolve to make a decision that is right for them. I have the courage to fight; it is just that I realize it would be a lost cause, so therefore it would be a meaningless fight. As to the employees that would be left, I hope they can gain solace by telling themselves every time they are screwed that at least they still have a job each time. It may make the screwing feel a little better for them.
Dont abandon the future.Unionization is coming to Federal Express Express division and a person of your caliber will be needed by the tens of thousands of disgruntled workers at Fedex.We the employees who have the courage to speak out and take action will be the leaders to make Fedex a good company to work for under Union representation.The stockholders will call for Fred Smiths ousting as soon as the MDL is won by the employees of Fedex Ground and Fedex Home divisions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dont abandon the future.Unionization is coming to Federal Express Express division and a person of your caliber will be needed by the tens of thousands of disgruntled workers at Fedex.We the employees who have the courage to speak out and take action will be the leaders to make Fedex a good company to work for under Union representation.The stockholders will call for Fred Smiths ousting as soon as the MDL is won by the employees of Fedex Ground and Fedex Home divisions.

I agree. Ricochet1 is obviously very bright and articulate, and would be an obvious asset in the upcoming battle to make FedEx a decent place to work again. Don't give up the ship!

FedEx All the Way!

Great information. Sounds like we need to get ready and bend over AGAIN for another pounding. OR, we can go union and try and protect what little we've got left. You're correct that the 5% management paycut has opened some eyes and made them less willing to spread the FedEx fertilizer. Smith could give a crap about the employees who built his empire. He'll do whatever it takes to maximize his own fortune while we starve. I can only hope that more people wake-up and smell the feces coming down from MEM...before it's too late.

I've said it several times to you - keep bending over!!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've said it several times to you - keep bending over!!!!!

Sorry, the "bending over" days are coming to an end soon, at least for hourlies. Now it's Fred's turn to grab his ankles, and he will be bent over this year...by the economy, by his employees and the union, and by the politicians that he hasn't been able to buy-off this time.

As for you, why do you persist in being Fred's personal cheerleader? He'd screw your "very important husband" over just as quickly as he has us given the opportunity. You'll eventually figure it out when "VIH" gets his walking papers. By the way, you never mention your husband's position (other than beneath you, a crushing burden I'm sure). Just what level is he, if he's so "important"?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My hours are up, my Volume is up... Damn this economy... Damn it all....
We broke our (recent)outbound record yesterday

Same in my area, but will it last? FedEx is doing everything it can to make it seem that the company is about to go under at any minute. I'm guessing those executive checks still get cashed, and that they're still really big. How many employees will drink the current flavor of Kool-Aid?

Testicular Fortitude

My hours are up, my Volume is up... Damn this economy... Damn it all....
We broke our (recent)outbound record yesterday
Same here I am doing the same amount as in volume and stops as I was doing before Peak season.Maybe more due to the fact that DHL is out of the domestic operations.Our pm couriers cannot handle all the new customers we have gotten since DHL put out the word.Unfortunately due to brain dead and incompetent engineers we might lose these new customers because of the fact we cannot provide them with the best service possible due to understaffing and not compensating for the extra pick up volume and stops.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Same here I am doing the same amount as in volume and stops as I was doing before Peak season.Maybe more due to the fact that DHL is out of the domestic operations.Our pm couriers cannot handle all the new customers we have gotten since DHL put out the word.Unfortunately due to brain dead and incompetent engineers we might lose these new customers because of the fact we cannot provide them with the best service possible due to understaffing and not compensating for the extra pick up volume and stops.

Great point. I see the same problem in my location where DHL gave the customer a 1600 pickup, for example. Because we're understaffed, the best we can offer is 1500. UPS can do it at 1600....guess who gets the account? Another example of penny-pinching actually losing business to the competition. This is not an isolated example...happens all the time.
FedEx is always bleating about "Purple" behavior and always providing an outstanding experience for the customer. Yet, they take away the ability of the employee to provide said service and then wonder what happened.

Last edited: