Social Security

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Thanks, he's doing a lot better since he got his pacemaker. But he's 85 and slowing way down. If I stay in the States I'll have to invest in a travel trailer and likely a car. Can head down there with little out of pocket. Paraguay is the only truly conservative country in South America. They don't tax overseas income, allow gun ownership, and are socially conservative. Abortion is illegal. The thing that's pulling them up is agriculture. They're growing a lot of soybeans. They have the second largest aquifer in the world. Good place to be if the nukes start flying.
Can you speak Spanish?

vantexan

Can you speak Spanish?
Enough to get by. The thing I found when I spent time in Mexico, Colombia, and Argentina was there's almost always an English speaker nearby who will help. But having the internet means at home everything is in English. Can watch tv from the States. The people in Argentina were great to deal with. From what I'm seeing online people in Paraguay are similar in attitude. 20% of the country is white. Most of the population is of mixed ancestry, white and Native American. A lot of Europeans looking to get away from woke policies have moved there. Canadians and Americans too. I see videos and forum posts where they are stating that's why they chose Paraguay.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You know how we have NAFTA? Southern South America has Mercosur. Get residency in one of the Mercosur countries and you can travel freely in the others. When Paraguay is over 100° every day can travel down to southern Argentina for a few months.
They better learn speak English down there.

vantexan

They better learn speak English down there.
Their president put down the welcome mat and foreigners are storming their ports of entry. The locals are mad at their government for putting the foreigners in hotels and giving them money and cellphones. Oh, wait, that's the U.S.!

vantexan

There's a lot of overly optimistic BS on the Internet.

Before you try driving all the way to South America with the Prius and teardrop camper...

Darién Gap
Who says I'm driving? And people ship their vehicles from Panama to Colombia all the time. There's a Facebook group on traveling the PanAmerican Highway with tens of thousands of members. They cover every aspect of it.

What's overly optimistic? Spent 7 months in Mexico, 2 in Colombia, and 3 in Argentina. Know before you go.

As retired FedEx I get discounted airline tickets on a bunch of airlines. Flew American from Orlando via Miami to Buenos Aires for $172. Can connect to Asuncion from there on a cheap domestic airline.

I'm not going to Paraguay or anywhere else because I want to stick it to the USA. Going there because it's affordable.

vantexan

There's a lot of overly optimistic BS on the Internet.

Before you try driving all the way to South America with the Prius and teardrop camper...

Darién Gap
By the way, I recall you being pretty triggered when I told of my plan to camp in New Mexico state parks on their very cheap annual camping pass. Well after decades of very cheap prices New Mexico just announced that come this summer they're doing away with the annual passes and greatly raising the nightly camping fees. No longer an option for cheap camping. My options now are putting a travel trailer in a cheap RV park, or boondocking on Federal land with a small camper, or moving overseas. The first two require some investment so likely I'll head back overseas.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
By the way, I recall you being pretty triggered when I told of my plan to camp in New Mexico state parks on their very cheap annual camping pass. Well after decades of very cheap prices New Mexico just announced that come this summer they're doing away with the annual passes and greatly raising the nightly camping fees. No longer an option for cheap camping. My options now are putting a travel trailer in a cheap RV park, or boondocking on Federal land with a small camper, or moving overseas. The first two require some investment so likely I'll head back overseas.
Illegals gonna get you…

vantexan

Illegals gonna get you…
If you're boondocking a hundred miles inland from the border in the desert the biggest worry might be a rattlesnake. People do this all the time. There are even LTVA's, Long Term Visitor Areas, set up by the Federal government in southwestern AZ and southeastern CA where you can camp up to 7 months with a $180 pass. When it starts getting real hot move up to high country. With Starlink can have fast internet anywhere there's an open view of the northern sky. Or just use cellphone hotspot in areas with cell service plus there's always Sirus satellite radio. Overall this isn't as convenient as staying in the state parks but it's doable.

Can't you find a small plot of land somewhere?

vantexan

Can't you find a small plot of land somewhere?
Sure. I could find some rural land, put a septic tank in, put in electrical hookups, run 10 miles or more to nearest small town for groceries, etc. Or I could put trailer in nice RV park with $375 a month lot rent including cable, wifi, laundry room, swimming pool, trash and water, run about a mile to Walmart, movie theater, selection of restaurants. Could even do without a car there. There's a number of options available.

Sure. I could find some rural land, put a septic tank in, put in electrical hookups, run 10 miles or more to nearest small town for groceries, etc. Or I could put trailer in nice RV park with $375 a month lot rent including cable, wifi, laundry room, swimming pool, trash and water, run about a mile to Walmart, movie theater, selection of restaurants. Could even do without a car there. There's a number of options available.
How about some of the people who go down south for the winter and work at the amusement park?
Mayonnaise amusement parks have a good setup for older people in their RVs so they have a place to stay and they can find dependable staff to work for them

vantexan

How about some of the people who go down south for the winter and work at the amusement park?
Mayonnaise amusement parks have a good setup for older people in their RVs so they have a place to stay and they can find dependable staff to work for them
Requires an RV which is either a pickup towing a trailer or motorhome. My feet won't let me stand for hours. And I'd rather do my own thing after 4 decades of working for others.