Social Security

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No reason to retire unless you're unable to and working gives your life purpose, according to Shapiro.
Go ahead and retire but don't plan on collecting Social Security at 63. It's also a supplement, do not plan living on it as you sole source of income.

Thebrownblob

Go ahead and retire but don't plan on collecting Social Security at 63. It's also a supplement, do not plan living on it as you sole source of income.
I’ve set myself up to hopefully be able to leave UPS anytime after 55 if I choose to. I do not plan on retiring per se, just doing something else. This job is a grind, and even though it’s been a great opportunity, I don’t wanna do it forever.

vantexan

vantexan

I'm heading to Paraguay. Will not only live well on SS but should save at least $500 a month.
The capital Asuncion has several nice neighborhoods including one, Villa Morra, that has several large, modern malls. Even a Cinemark multiplex playing movies in English. A lot of American chain restaurants. They've got fiber optic internet. That's the most expensive area of the entire country but a one bedroom apartment costs around $500 a month. They make it super easy to get residency. Really hot and humid most of the year but winters are mild. But because they have a lot of hydroelectric power electricity is really cheap so air conditioning can run all the time with an electric bill under $50 a month.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
The capital Asuncion has several nice neighborhoods including one, Villa Morra, that has several large, modern malls. Even a Cinemark multiplex playing movies in English. A lot of American chain restaurants. They've got fiber optic internet. That's the most expensive area of the entire country but a one bedroom apartment costs around $500 a month. They make it super easy to get residency. Really hot and humid most of the year but winters are mild. But because they have a lot of hydroelectric power electricity is really cheap so air conditioning can run all the time with an electric bill under $50 a month.
How much you think SS will be?

Thebrownblob

Can’t you stay in Florida?

vantexan

I'm still not following.
You know how we have NAFTA? Southern South America has Mercosur. Get residency in one of the Mercosur countries and you can travel freely in the others. When Paraguay is over 100° every day can travel down to southern Argentina for a few months.

vantexan

Is he sick? Sorry, not trying to be nosy. If so, I’ll keep him in my prayers.
Thanks, he's doing a lot better since he got his pacemaker. But he's 85 and slowing way down. If I stay in the States I'll have to invest in a travel trailer and likely a car. Can head down there with little out of pocket. Paraguay is the only truly conservative country in South America. They don't tax overseas income, allow gun ownership, and are socially conservative. Abortion is illegal. The thing that's pulling them up is agriculture. They're growing a lot of soybeans. They have the second largest aquifer in the world. Good place to be if the nukes start flying.