Social Security

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
About 1.5-2 years ago, France tried to raise their retirement age, resulting in firey riots for months. About that time, a friend of mine passed away at 54yo. She was sweet, worked hard all her life, and left a family behind that still needed her.

Don't be so eager to raise the retirement age. Gen-X and millennials have probably been exposed to more chemicals and various diseases than any humans yet on earth... Are you sure you're going to make it?
It's either that or the plan goes broke.

rod

Retired 22 years
About 1.5-2 years ago, France tried to raise their retirement age, resulting in firey riots for months. About that time, a friend of mine passed away at 54yo. She was sweet, worked hard all her life, and left a family behind that still needed her.

Don't be so eager to raise the retirement age. Gen-X and millennials have probably been exposed to more chemicals and various diseases than any humans yet on earth... Are you sure you're going to make it?
In recent years life expectancy for a man has dropped from 78 years to 74 years. I blame women for that.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Never mind the millions he made and continues to make from charging the Secret Service for rooms charged above the government rate at properties he owns.
Biden does the same thing with his Secret Service protection staff.
He 's been doing it for a dozen years longer than Trump.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hillary Clinton charges the government for housing the Secret Service on her New York estate.
I could be wrong but I believe all living past Presidents do that. Harry Truman was probably the last president who walked arong freely in his hometown in Missouri without secret service or other protection.

Sportello

You're right, Biden made them stay on his property in DE, so he didn't have to provide any room upkeep like Trump does.
He’s not allowed to not charge rent. The latest figures I could find is $2200/month is what President Biden is charging for an entire cottage.

No comparison to the $1185 per room/night the former guy charged.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Taking social security at age 62 means getting a 30% reduction from your FRA amount.
Taking social security at age 70 means getting 124% increase for not taking it at FRA.
Yet only 10% wait the extra time.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I took the $$ @ FRA and stayed at my full time with no penalty and invested the SS dollars although I cut back to 4 days a week . The break even point is just past 80 . It's not worth the wait nor the other option :angel:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Taking social security at age 62 means getting a 30% reduction from your FRA amount.
Taking social security at age 70 means getting 124% increase for not taking it at FRA.
Yet only 10% wait the extra time.
Took mine at 62 and just invest the proceeds. My break even point is somewhere in my 80's. Will worry about it then if I last that long.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The break even point is a farce.
You are guaranteed a set amount.
How you wish to receive it is the only option the government allows you to control.

My older siblings are still quite active into their 90's.
So I'm assuming that I too will live as long.

I didn't need the SS at 62, nor at FRA.
I was able to tap into my 401K.
Funny thing is that my 401K has rebounded lately to the point of pre-retirement levels.

Up In Smoke

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
The break even point is a farce.
You are guaranteed a set amount.
How you wish to receive it is the only option the government allows you to control.

My older siblings are still quite active into their 90's.
So I'm assuming that I too will live as long.

I didn't need the SS at 62, nor at FRA.
I was able to tap into my 401K.
Funny thing is that my 401K has rebounded lately to the point of pre-retirement levels.
You might be guaranteed the death benefit to surviving spouse or child of $255.00 but that's about it. Taking my benefits at 62 and investing it at least would leave something to the kids. Waiting till a later date and dying before collecting leaves you nothing.