Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

Because again, Art 15 sections 1 and 4 in the Central Region Supplement directly contradict each other if you read them literally.
I realize that at the end of the day on this particular Friday, that it won't matter what my perception of this verbiage is and that I will be scheduled, but it is poorly written.
I would consider any poorly written, contradicting or vague language to be an oversight in most cases.
When this is the case we usually end up on the short end of the stick, with the notable exception, a fair days work for a fair days pay.
Who should Irishman Collins blame, and please, don't say TDU.
You should try and become a ba and try to change it a little. You never know what could happen if you are willing to work.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubble,

Let me walk you through this, again.

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS
Section 1.... provides for "Holiday" pay. (on the named holidays)

Section 1
A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve-regardless
of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls, provided
they comply with the qualifications set forth hereinafter.

Section 4.... provides for the "penalty" if required to work.

Section 4
Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four
(4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be
required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union.

It's really that simple.

-Bug-

How is that simple?

Last edited:

10 point

I would make that argument!!!
At worst,it's called an occurrence.
I'm afforded 6 in 9 months.
Even if I had 7 in 9 I bet they wait until after peak to have the hearing to put me off work for discipline.

One driver was scheduled to appear at a hearing for attendance infractions and he called off on the day of the hearing. Now that's funny. :)

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How is that simple?

Trying to argue semantics, will not alter the meaning of language to your liking.

File a grievance. Ask for an interp of that section. It's really that simple. :biggrin:

If I am wrong.... how is it.... we have always run air products on that day ?

And, (if you weren't scheduled as air support) you received Holiday pay + double-time ?

I'm not being obtuse.

Neither will the JAC panel be.... when they deny grievances on the issue.

But, it doesn't hurt to try. It means you're thinking. That's more than I can say, for some.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Trying to argue semantics, will not alter the meaning of language to your liking.

File a grievance. Ask for an interp of that section. It's really that simple. :biggrin:

If I am wrong.... how is it.... we have always run air products on that day ?

And, (if you weren't scheduled as air support) you received Holiday pay + double-time ?

I'm not being obtuse.

Neither will the JAC panel be.... when they deny grievances on the issue.

But, it doesn't hurt to try. It means you're thinking. That's more than I can say, for some.

-Bug-
It's not semantics, it's clear language.
There isn't 2 ways to read this article.
It is not vague or incomplete.
"No employee shall be required".
"Except as otherwise provided"

You ask: If I am wrong.... how is it.... we have always run air products on that day?

That's easy, Article 40 in the National Master supersedes any forward language contained in any supplement or adendum and clearly provides for premium services on these days and who will perform the work.
That's where "otherwise provided" comes in.
Article 40 doesn't however provide for ground to be delivered on these paid holidays, so Article 15 comes into play and clearly states:

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial

BUG, I don't doubt that if and when this is challenged at various state or JAC panels that it will be shoved straight up our backsides.
We agree on this.
The language in Article 15 of the Central Region Supplement is good, strong and clearly written and designed to protect the employee and their family during these 8 named holidays.
Yet the powers that be elect to jump in bed once again with the company, instead of fighting for the member.
Just another reason for a great big shake up in 2016, something needs to give.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's not semantics, it's clear language.
There isn't 2 ways to read this article.
It is not vague or incomplete.
"No employee shall be required".
"Except as otherwise provided"

You are missing the "caveat" in Section 4. (or ignoring it)

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

Section 4

"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four (4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union."

That is the escape clause, for that particular "named" Holiday.

All others, are off the table. The company.... then pays the monetary penalty.

BUG, I don't doubt that if and when this is challenged at various state or JAC panels that it will be shoved straight up our backsides.

We agree on this.

Just another reason for a great big shake up in 2016, something needs to give.

Fred and Sandy....

It's like Ron Carey all over again. And we know, how that turned out.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are missing the "caveat" in Section 4. (or ignoring it)

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

Section 4

"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four (4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union."

That is the escape clause, for that particular "named" Holiday.

All others, are off the table. The company.... then pays the monetary penalty.

-Bug-

You're missing the "caveat" in Section 1. (or ignoring it)

Why is the first sentence in there?

The only escape clause, as it is written, is contained in Article 40 of the National Master and it only provides for the delivery and pickup of premium service packages, not a full day of business as usual.

Last edited:

10 point

The only escape clause, as it is written, is contained in Article 40 of the National Master and it only provides for the delivery and pickup of premium service packages, not a full day of business as usual.
Looks like the only escape clause covers Labor Day...unless the local gives in.

Oh well, it keeps me from being dragged to the mall that day.

What would you like to get out of it? Ups is making it a regular day now. So it's going to be a regular day. What else would you need?