Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What would you like to get out of it? Ups is making it a regular day now. So it's going to be a regular day. What else would you need?
What would I get?
It's not about me, I've worked this day for 8+ hours, every year that my seniority allowed.
I do what I do for the greater good of all my peers.
There a significant number of employees who travel to be with family on this 4 day weekend before all hell breaks loose.
There are those who don't travel, but relish the time off for many good reasons.
I say UPS doesn't have the contractual language to make this a regular day.
We only get 8 paid holidays and they are worth fighting for.
Where will it end?
How long before we are working Christmas morning?
They ran a sort Monday, Labor Day in my building.
How screwed up is that?
How long will we continue to roll over for UPS and their whims?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What would I get?
It's not about me, I've worked this day for 8+ hours, every year that my seniority allowed.
There a significant number of employees who travel to be with family on this 4 day weekend before all hell breaks loose.
There are those who don't travel, but relish the time off for many good reasons.
Where will it end?
I agree. It's the one holiday I knew I got to spend at home. I'm not driving 8 hours for Xmas day if I work the day before and after.

I always told them they could pay me $200 an hour and it wouldn't matter. Those 4 days with my family every year were priceless.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The problem is simple, the language means what the I.B.T. wants it to mean. I want leadership that will interpret language for it's members and not U.P S.
Screenshot_2014-09-03-22-42-12.png

Screenshot_2014-09-03-22-44-29.png
I love that they can't force us to work Election day...who'd miss that day? Thats my favorite day of the year...lol

What would I get?
Where will it end?
How screwed up is that?

Last edited:

Irishman Collins

My new interpretation of these sections. Section 1 members who believe that shall means will and will means shall not be required to work will not work on said holidays because common sense prevails in these members. Section 2 members who believe that shall doesn't mean will and will doesn't mean shall not be required to work. These members will blindly follow their leadership into their trucks on above named holidays because common sense does not prevail in these members.

Inthegame

Looks like the only escape clause covers Labor Day...unless the local gives in.
Interesting choice of words. So if UPS has some huge pick up accounts open on Labor day and they post a voluntary sign up, pay a guarantee 2X @ 8 hours, the local is "giving in" by allowing bargaining unit employees the option to work?
The times they are a changing, and another delivery service would gladly take that volume.

10 point

Interesting choice of words. So if UPS has some huge pick up accounts open on Labor day and they post a voluntary sign up, pay a guarantee 2X @ 8 hours, the local is "giving in" by allowing bargaining unit employees the option to work?
The times they are a changing, and another delivery service would gladly take that volume.
Not just any choice of words. A possible option.

BTW: the option is not my option. It's the local's option. I don't find any options to be jurisdicted by me except to call off if I don't want to work.

A pretty plain issue to me.

What would I get?
Where will it end?
How screwed up is that?
That's not what I meant when I asked the question. You know this. What do you want out of it. Your opinion. You know that this language has been in the contract since 1972 right? This is something that has always happened on a small scale. Now it a lot larger. I feel bad for people that have a four day trip planned but if they have good attendance then they call off and they go.

10 point

Honestly, I have worked every day after Thanksgiving that I can remember. I'm not traveling to see family but I have had college tuition to help with for my children over the years. I'll take the $ but I'm not sacrificing a lot of family time that I cant enjoy over he weekend. Gets me out of dishes too. :)

Heck, I've gotten up in the middle of a holiday supper because the company needed a feeder run covered at the last minute.

I've really got no gripes about the issue.
Being greedy and having messed up priorities helps too. JK

10 point

I think that the difference is "shall be REQUIRED to work" is totally different than having the voluntary option to work IMO.

If my wife said "go to work" that means that now I'm "required" to work.
That bargaining agreement expired 34 yrs ago.:(

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's not what I meant when I asked the question. You know this. What do you want out of it. Your opinion. You know that this language has been in the contract since 1972 right? This is something that has always happened on a small scale. Now it a lot larger. I feel bad for people that have a four day trip planned but if they have good attendance then they call off and they go.
You hit it on the head.
It has been in the contract since 1972 and has only happened on a small scale, because that is all the contract provides for.
Article 40 allows for this "small scale" operation.
If the company wanted carte blanche on these days, the first line of Art 15 sec 1 needs to be struck out.
A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays
I'm telling you, if this allowed to persist, Christmas morning will be next.
You know how this company operates, and yes, they ran a sort Monday (Labor Day) in my building staffed voluntarily by part timers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not some huge accounts, a huge account, Amazon.

Not some huge accounts, a huge account, Amazon.
You hit it on the head.
It has been in the contract since 1972 and has only happened on a small scale, because that is all the contract provides for.
Article 40 allows for this "small scale" operation.
If the company wanted carte blanche on these days, the first line of Art 15 sec 1 needs to be struck out.
A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays
I'm telling you, if this allowed to persist, Christmas morning will be next.
You know how this company operates, and yes, they ran a sort Monday (Labor Day) in my building staffed voluntarily by part timers.
You got up early this morning.