Something to ponder...

tieguy

Banned
Comments on this "essay"?​

This is something I wrote regarding my performance.
I have been told that I am about to be placed on "working termination".​

1. Two mis-sorts out of 1,000 loads percentage: two tenths of one percent.

2. Eight mis-sorts out of 5,500 loads percentage: 29/200th of a percent.

3. Sixteen mis-sorts out of a month, est. 20,000 loads percentage: less than one tenth of one percent (0.08).

4. One hundred eighty mis-sorts out of a year, est. 240,000 loads percentage: three quarters of one tenth of one percent.

In one year, say 85% of my mis-sorted packages were late.
That percentage of the total packages processed is six and three eights of one hundredth of one percent.

Now, I work approximately 25 hours a week. For peak season averaging, we'll say 1400 hours a year.

Three days would equal slightly more than 15 hours. The percentage of 15 hours out of 1400 hours is: 1 and almost one tenth of one percent.

Looking at the worst percentage of mis-sorts, two tenths of one percent, versus being penalized at over one percent, I believe that the penalty grossly outweighs the "mistakes" made during the mis-sorts. The multiple for the penalty versus the actual is close to 50 times.

So, looking at the above, *. **** and the management at UPS-Greensboro feel that fair punishment is fifty times that of the actual mistake.

My mis-sorts are most likely significantly less than the example above, yet I am being penalized out of proportion to the actual mistake.
Others are as well, this needs to be stopped. If workers were getting one percent mis-sorts, then the punishment would fit. Otherwise,
it does not.

Let's look at "technology". UPS has, in its operation, technology to prevent almost all mis-sorts. Yet, it does not implement this technology
in our hub. Technology is used to prevent misloads, packages entered into the system as going to the wrong place - when they are actually going to the proper place. These packages would, without intervention, be delivered on-time. Not so, with a mis-sorted package. A mis-sorted package is entered into the system as going to the wrong place, and that's where it goes. Which is more important, tracking a package to the wrong place, but that package wasn't sent wrong, and was delivered on-time? Or tracking a package to the wrong place, and was sent incorrectly, and subsequently delivered late? Why isn't mis-sorted technology being used? I've been told that it would cost too much. More than 4,000,000,000 dollars?

Dave

Dave,
If you put as much time and effort into checking every package as you did writing this post you would not have a problem. Force yourself to check every package before loading it. This will give you the peace of mind you seek.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Hey college boy!!!!! put the right package in the right trailer,it's not rocket science!!! slow down a bit till you learn it better and they will forget your name by next week!!!You are here to load packages at ups,not cure cancer stop crying for christ sake and do you job!!!

DS

Fenderbender
Hey GSO,I think you will be glad you "joined" and became a browncafe registered poster.I think you will find that except for a few exceptions ups is ups,and our problems are basically universal.The cafe is a great place to ask or give advice in situations that we are experiencing for the first time.I look forward to your insights when one of us has something to ponder.

GSO_Dave

I've been gone a couple of years, but I can tell you the technology at UPS is detailed to the point of a gnat's butt. I imagine the same analysis tools are still in place to identify who and why missorts are being created.

And using the word "stupidvisor" doesn't do much for you either, as the lack of disrepect for management is evident. So are they trying to "intimidate"you? Probably not, just dealing with what they make think is a problem employee, would be my guess.

The "technology" I referred to is the same "technology" that will stop a "misload" with a beep on a scanner, but does NOT stop a "mis-sort", at least not in my hub...

You're correct, I have a "lack of disrespect" for the "manglers" who don't leave their brains at the guard shack when they come to work... The rest are EXACTLY as I call them, STUPIDvisors... Dimwits who believe WHATEVER their boss tells them, it's like "tell a lie often enough, some will begin to believe it is a truth"...

Hey college boy!!!!! put the right package in the right trailer,it's not rocket science!!! slow down a bit till you learn it better and they will forget your name by next week!!!You are here to load packages at ups,not cure cancer stop crying for christ sake and do you job!!!

College Boy? LMAO, I'm just like thousands of other UPSers, I graduated HS, some college in the USAF, and that's about it. And who's crying?

Hey GSO,I think you will be glad you "joined" and became a browncafe registered poster.I think you will find that except for a few exceptions ups is ups,and our problems are basically universal.The cafe is a great place to ask or give advice in situations that we are experiencing for the first time.I look forward to your insights when one of us has something to ponder.

Thank You...

Hope everyone had a nice All Hallows Eve,
Dave

FromBluetoBrown

We have the boxline system in my center and I don't know if the sorters are being lazy or they don't know their colors but I'll go to pull from the bin of 10 packages and 6 of them will be for another colored bin. I've been lucky and caught all of them but I went live on the PAS system last week and my misloads have actually gone up due to out of sync packages. I had one yesterday and one on Tuesday out of my average of 0.

I

INSIDE/OUT COMBO

I Have Been A Driver For 14 Yrs 10 Of Them On The Same Rte....the Pas Sup Told Me Directly That There Was Such And Such An Address On My Rte.......... i Said Really Have You Ever Been On My Rte?? No She Says But That Address Is Correct Because Thats What The System Reconized So Needles To Say I Got An Extra Stop For A Place I Knew Did Not Exixst When Brought To My Attention From Upper Management About Even Him Knowing That Was Ns Adress He Said Y Did You Go There, Umm Because Pas Sup Said Too

GSO_Dave

I Have Been A Driver For 14 Yrs 10 Of Them On The Same Rte....the Pas Sup Told Me Directly That There Was Such And Such An Address On My Rte.......... i Said Really Have You Ever Been On My Rte?? No She Says But That Address Is Correct Because Thats What The System Reconized So Needles To Say I Got An Extra Stop For A Place I Knew Did Not Exixst When Brought To My Attention From Upper Management About Even Him Knowing That Was Ns Adress He Said Y Did You Go There, Umm Because Pas Sup Said Too

Exactly my point...

The "mangle-ment team" is filled with can't think for themselves STUPIDvisors... :w00t:

Dave