Spam

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I noticed when I was on BC this morning that there were a lot of posts that had absolutely nothing to do with the thread. They were promoting an online music store or something along those lines. I reported the posts, as did Jones, to Scratch, who deleted them right away. Scratch said that we have been getting Spammed a lot lately and he asked that the members notify the mods of any such posts so if you are in BC and see something that doesn't seem right let a mod know by clicking on the !, which is on the lower left part of the screen under the user name information. Thanks in advance for your help in keeping BC Spam free. Dave.

over9five

Staff member
Good post!

You guys don't realize how much you help us when you use the "report post" icon.
We'll eventually catch all the bad stuff, but if someone reports it, it'll get taken care of right away!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Cheryl has a spam filter installed on this site, and it usually works well. We don't see a lot of such posts, but so far today, there was two new "Members" who set up User Accounts and got through. I suspect this is just spamming software that looks for places on the net to post stuff. The posts will have nothing to do with the Thread Topic and will have a link to sell something. It seems like they usually try to hawk cell phones, cameras, and computer games.

Thanks to everyone that reports this stuff. Sometimes we respond personally in a PM and sometimes we aren't able to do that because of so many people reporting this crap.

upsgrunt

I actually like the spam you're talking about- sliced and fried with mustard on a sandwich is good to me. Maybe I'm just weird!

DS

Fenderbender
  1. thx to www.cusd.claremont.edu
  2. By World War II, Hormel had sold twenty thousand tons of Spam. Then, during the wartime meat rationing, Spam got popular...
  • If all the cans of Spam ever eaten were put end-to-end, they would circle the globe at least ten times.
  • In the U.S. alone, 3.8 cans of Spam "are consumed every second"(assuming SPAM is eaten 24 hours a day, 365.25 days a year).
  • Senator Robert Byrd of West Viginia eats a sandwich of SPAM and mayonnaise on white bread three times a week.
  • Residents of Hawai'i eat an average of four cans of SPAM per person per year, more than in any other place on Earth (Elsewhere in the Universe, who knows?).
  • By 1959, a billion cans of SPAM had been sold. The two billion mark was hit in 1970, followed by three billion in 1980, four billion in 1986, and five billion in 1993. That's a lot of SPAM!
  • In Korea, SPAM is sold in stylish presentation gift boxes of nine cans each. SPAM stolen from army PXs can be found on the Korean black market. And there are Korean imitations called Lo-Spam, Dak, Plumrose, and Tulip, to ensure that no one need go without.
  • Nikita Krushchev once credited SPAM with the survival of the WWII Russian army. ''Without SPAM, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army,'' he said.
  • SPAM is sold in over 99% of U.S. grocery stores.
  • The SPAM luncheon meat trademark is registered in 93 countries.
  • Over 60 million people in the U.S. eat SPAM.
  • SPAM is made in two U.S. locations - Austin, Minnesota, and Fremont, Nebraska - and seven other countries: England, Australia, Denmark, Phillipines, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea.
  • In 1989, the U.S. armed forces bought 3.3 million pounds of SPAM.
  • Over 141 million cans of SPAM are sold worldwide each year.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I make comments like this, I usually get weird stares. Sorta like when you ask your dog if he wants to go outside, or for a ride in the car. Am I really getting so old that I understand all this stuff?:knockedout: