SPHOR

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/sphor-310595/index6.html#post698508
Read post 81 - after I talk about management playing shady games. Management will get you for methods violations. SPORH is used as a sign that you are not following the methods. It is a gage of your performance and ability to follow the methods.
But these methods are only enforced when mgmt wants to pay someone back for doing something mgmt didn't like, like say, going over 9/5, filining grievances, etc... Of course this is my opinion and not all mgmt is included, afterall there are some very nice mngr/supes, such as yourself, Lifer.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
But these methods are only enforced when mgmt wants to pay someone back for doing something mgmt didn't like, like say, going over 9/5, filining grievances, etc... Of course this is my opinion and not all mgmt is included, afterall there are some very nice mngr/supes, such as yourself, Lifer.

You run 15 clicks late you get fired for methods. You run 2 hours under, what methods?

UPS Lifer

You run 15 clicks late you get fired for methods. You run 2 hours under, what methods?

I doubt any management person will disagree with this statement. The questions coming from the manager, division mgr and district mgr deal with asking what are you doing to eliminate over allowed or increasing SPORH or eliminating accidents and injuries. (What ever the flavor of the day is!)

The only time a runner and gunner will get into trouble will be if there is an obvious problem with safety, missed packages or pick ups or customer concerns or claims. .... and then they will get a basic "slap on the hand" talk, unless there is a major issue that gets noticed at a level outside the division.

SWORDFISH

Heres a great reason why the union doesnt recognize SPORH and also why Im not going to see anyone fired for it. Today at our PC our center team decided to tell us that we no longer get credit for certain stops. They are now to be sheeted as DUPE stops. Any misloads found at any time during the day, and any indirected packages(this means your going to get more send agains from all of the drivers to cuz they will no longer go out of their way to get rid of the packages). This is one of many reasons the union wont recognize those #s. They are fake. They dont reflect your actual work. I never even hit my targeted SPORH anymore.

whiskey

Heres a great reason why the union doesnt recognize SPORH and also why Im not going to see anyone fired for it. Today at our PC our center team decided to tell us that we no longer get credit for certain stops. They are now to be sheeted as DUPE stops. Any misloads found at any time during the day, and any indirected packages(this means your going to get more send agains from all of the drivers to cuz they will no longer go out of their way to get rid of the packages). This is one of many reasons the union wont recognize those #s. They are fake. They dont reflect your actual work. I never even hit my targeted SPORH anymore.

If you are not hitting your targeted SPORH, you will be in the radar. You are correct. You will not be fired for not reaching your SPORH. But there are a couple of hundred methods, that, if not followed, will land you in the unemployment line. Nuff said.

bad company

semi-pro
This actually works in the drivers' favor... hear me out.

By them eliminating these additional credited stops, they will lower SPORH. I would advise the driver to do as mgmt wishes, and still eliminate all send agains. Indirect all packages needed to eliminate send agains and record them as DUP per management instructions. When management rides with you for a OJS, make sure you do the same thing. You will still be taking the time and physical effort to deliver these extra stops, but now will not be getting credit for it in relationship to SPORH, so your SPORH will be reduced. As a result, the numbers that management can (try) hold you accountable to is lowered and more easily accomplished.

Make sense?

SWORDFISH

Last 2 thoughts both good thoughts. Its just a matter of what works for each person and what they are prepared to fight and deal w/.

1 Never exceed posted speed limit.
2 Come to complete stop at every stop sign. Look lrl. Proceed.
3 Use walk paths. Don't cut thru grass.
4 Demand copy of 340 methods.

SWORDFISH

Suppose he had an accident or was injured while he was "on lunch"? Bottom line--take your full lunch and break(s). I don't care if you take them during the stated times in the contract or near the end of the day, as I do, just take them.

BTW, it is not a frivolous thing. It is called falsifying records.

Upstate in regaurds to your SPORH posting on how you just go to work and do your job and no one messes w/ you. If you did what you say above in my center you would be fired. See how our centers differ?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I guess I should be thankful that I have a mgt team that uses common sense.

They will only have that common sense until something happens and someone above them starts ripping them a new one. You ever heard the term **** rolls down hill? You my friend are standing at the bottom of the hill.

StopCount

This actually works in the drivers' favor... hear me out.

By them eliminating these additional credited stops, they will lower SPORH. I would advise the driver to do as mgmt wishes, and still eliminate all send agains. Indirect all packages needed to eliminate send agains and record them as DUP per management instructions. When management rides with you for a OJS, make sure you do the same thing. You will still be taking the time and physical effort to deliver these extra stops, but now will not be getting credit for it in relationship to SPORH, so your SPORH will be reduced. As a result, the numbers that management can (try) hold you accountable to is lowered and more easily accomplished.

Make sense?

It does make sense, but UPS doesn't use logic like this...

Management makes major changes, but then refuses to recognize the negative impact is has on SPORH.

My lock in ride was many months ago.
Management has changed my route.
I can no longer meet my target SPORH for the week.
I am currenty on a working termination....

:-(

Omega man

SPORH is statistically insignificant. A sampling of only 3 days out of the total days we work each year does not accurately represent that which is truly occurring. Upper management is using SPORH to gauge performance either out of stupidity or because they have an intentional desire to act unfair and unethically.

SWORDFISH

It does make sense, but UPS doesn't use logic like this...

Management makes major changes, but then refuses to recognize the negative impact is has on SPORH.

My lock in ride was many months ago.
Management has changed my route.
I can no longer meet my target SPORH for the week.
I am currenty on a working termination....

:-(

Your on working termination for not meeting your SPORH?

SWORDFISH

Im going to be very upset if our union doesnt buck up and kick UPS in the teeth for this SPORH thing if they try to terminate people for not meeting it. Its not accurate. For one we cannot code out anytime including our breaks which counts vs your SPORH every single day. This new dupe stop BS kills your SPORH. Its a BS # and if I ever get fired for it they will have a court date w/ me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Im going to be very upset if our union doesnt buck up and kick UPS in the teeth for this SPORH thing if they try to terminate people for not meeting it. Its not accurate. For one we cannot code out anytime including our breaks which counts vs your SPORH every single day. This new dupe stop BS kills your SPORH. Its a BS # and if I ever get fired for it they will have a court date w/ me.
Absolutely! Is there a button for handcart use? How many flights did you have to climb for that apt? This is just more of the same non-sensical stuff that gets thrown our way. But make sure you have a bright smile to attract more customers.:happy-very:

StopCount

Your on working termination for not meeting your SPORH?

Yes!

Here's some quotes from the certified termination letter I received:

On week ending x/x/xx, you failed to maintain and improve on the level of performance that you previously demonstrated while your supervisor rode with you. You were re-trained in the proper delivery and pickup methods on x/x/xx, x/x/xx, and x/x/xx.

In order for UPS to stay competitive and maintain its reputation as the most reliable service provider in the industry it must require that all of its employees work in a manner that reflects the best interests of the company.

Article 37 of the Natioinal Master United Parcel Service Agreement states "the parties agree that the principle of a fair days work for a fair days pay shall be observed at all times and employees in a manner that best represents the employers interest."

Failure on your part to maintain your performance to a level that you have demonstrated with management on the car has resulted in your discharge.

Respectfully,

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes!

Here's some quotes from the certified termination letter I received:

On week ending x/x/xx, you failed to maintain and improve on the level of performance that you previously demonstrated while your supervisor rode with you. You were re-trained in the proper delivery and pickup methods on x/x/xx, x/x/xx, and x/x/xx.

In order for UPS to stay competitive and maintain its reputation as the most reliable service provider in the industry it must require that all of its employees work in a manner that reflects the best interests of the company.

Article 37 of the Natioinal Master United Parcel Service Agreement states "the parties agree that the principle of a fair days work for a fair days pay shall be observed at all times and employees in a manner that best represents the employers interest."

Failure on your part to maintain your performance to a level that you have demonstrated with management on the car has resulted in your discharge.

Respectfully,

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
It won't stick. I predict that it will be settled at the eleventh hour as a final warning letter, just short of it being heard by the panel or arbitrator. Just continue to be safe and as consistant as the route will allow. I'll say it again, SPOHR isolatates only two variables in a very complex equation. To pretend it tells the whole story is nothing more that an elaborate bluff. Call them down by not giving in.