SPHOR

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a former All-State wrestler who used to be a driver (the "used to" part has nothing to do with the story but speaks volumes about his character). This guy could safely bench press a Yugo yet brought back a 71 lb package because he was not provided with help from another bargaining unit employee. Proper use of his handcart would have allowed him to safely complete the delivery.

A contract is only a guideline. Common sense should always prevail.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
bad company - if you are going to use one thing (asking for help with over 70) from the contract then you better be doing "all things" by the contract. Go ahead and miss the package.

SWORDFISH

More ideas

Dont use your cell for anything. Find a phone and call in.

When a OCS is disrespectfull or trying to intimidate me I go stop and address it. Let them know this day will become alot longer if this continues. If they would try to punish me for it later I would site that I couldnt properly focus on my job because I was being harassed.

Dont walk and input stuff into the diad.

Deliver NDA first and then start your route over from the begining unless you can easily get to the ground for that stop. Waste no time looking, you could be jeopordizing the rest of your NDA times.

Dont start you lunch when you stop complete your last stop. Lunch doesnt start till the truck is stopped at the location of you lunch.

I wonder if the orginal poster is even paying attention anymore?

SWORDFISH

Dont DR at areas that dont have their own private dwelling(APT., condos, duplex). Instead get signatures. Same goes for anything that is in a tv box or any other hi valued item box such as electronic stuff.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

More ideas

Thanks, but no thanks.

When a OCS is disrespectfull or trying to intimidate me I go stop and address it. Let them know this day will become alot longer if this continues. If they would try to punish me for it later I would site that I couldnt properly focus on my job because I was being harassed.

Good point.

How does this differ from sheeting while walking?

Deliver NDA first and then start your route over from the begining unless you can easily get to the ground for that stop. Waste no time looking, you could be jeopordizing the rest of your NDA times.

Good advice.

Dont start you lunch when you stop complete your last stop. Lunch doesnt start till the truck is stopped at the location of you lunch.

Also good advice.

I doubt it.

SWORDFISH

More ideas

Thanks, but no thanks.

Good point.

How does this differ from sheeting while walking?

Good advice.

Also good advice.

I doubt it.

LOL! Dave I didnt realize you needed me to make a list for you too? I would have added, dont work off the clock, take your lunch at the right times, and dont drive and talk on the cell :wink2:. As far as sheeting and walking vs inputing and walking, Sheeting and walking you can still watch what your doing because you dont have to look at the board, but inputing and walking makes you look at the board which takes your eyes off your walk path and anything else you need to see. So you should sheet the pkgs where you drop them off then go have the person sign. Then stand there and type in the name put the location and stop complete. Finally safely walk back to the truck.

browniehound

SWORDFISH,STUG and STOPCOUNT - you are all correct and I have no problem with the methods you listed, but it is amazing how many drivers I have OJS'd and they do not even follow the basic methods you listed. The look of shock on their faces when they see the daily report on how much work they completed and how early they punched out is worth it every time. I have also OJS'd drivers that follow the methods and the increase in SPORH is minimal, usually this ride is a driver who just wants someone to listen to him/her and fix something on the route and they have no problem bring the route in everyday.

See, this is what I don't understand. You spend a time consuming 3-day OJS with a driver and then you do it for almost the entire center last year just so you can say "OOH OOH look you made this number with me!!" It just seems like of a waste of management resources to me.

I say this for one reason only: the same drivers are doing the same things the second you get off car with them. You accomplish crap with the 3-day ride because nothing is ever enforced. We just had the entire center done last year. Going on the theory that the sup can prove a 1 SPOHR better, are they going to fire the entire center?

I just don't get it because I've never seen someone fired for not living up to his OJS. So it simply tells me its a waste of time if you can't do anything about it. No?

bad company

semi-pro
bad company - if you are going to use one thing (asking for help with over 70) from the contract then you better be doing "all things" by the contract. Go ahead and miss the package.

I am well aware of the large bullseye I wear on my back. It's sad that some in my management team has to resort to looking for things to "get me" with.
I actually think knowing management would love to make an example out of makes me a better driver. I know that I am watched closely, and as a result, I am more motivated than others to follow all of the methods (part of the reason why I always make sure to have a current copy of the methods in PDF format).

And for the record, you are technically right ... it wouldn't be sheeted as missed. It would be sheeted as other/ non-delivery / over 70. It would still count as missed on the OR, but that would be the proper way to record the package.

bad company

semi-pro
See, this is what I don't understand. You spend a time consuming 3-day OJS with a driver and then you do it for almost the entire center last year just so you can say "OOH OOH look you made this number with me!!" It just seems like of a waste of management resources to me.

I say this for one reason only: the same drivers are doing the same things the second you get off car with them. You accomplish crap with the 3-day ride because nothing is ever enforced. We just had the entire center done last year. Going on the theory that the sup can prove a 1 SPOHR better, are they going to fire the entire center?

I just don't get it because I've never seen someone fired for not living up to his OJS. So it simply tells me its a waste of time if you can't do anything about it. No?

I think the majority of drivers are out there doing their jobs, and wanted to get done in a safe and efficient manner. There may be a select minority that are not doing as much as they could or should.
I cannot speak for other centers, but with my center, it seems to be more of a dispatch issue than a performance issue. We've had a few weeks of OJS rides with the targeted "most help needed" or "least best" drivers. Overall, my center as been able to increase SPORH and decrease overallowed.
If anything, the OJS rides were more of an education session for my current management team to learn why certain routes were having so many issues. They've made a few changes, but my center still struggles to be consistant (mostly due to poor dispatch).

Just like most things in life, I think OJS rides are ok in moderation. They have their benefits at certain times with certain drivers and in certain areas. But doing mass OJS rides as you've described are a waste of valuable time and resources.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Swordfish, I never said that I talk on my cell while I drive. Doing so is illegal in New York. However, I do use my cell during the day to help both me and my customers. Work smarter, not harder.

Are you telling me that you are incapable of scanning a package and walking while watching the path ahead? I have been using the DIAD long enough now where I can use it without looking at it. It is not uncommon for me to have the package scanned and delivery location selected as I am walking toward the front door. I will knock, put the pkg between the storm and interior doors, hit stop complete and then walk back to the PC. Notice I didn't say check EDD for the next stop---we are supposed to know our next 5 stops. Also notice I didn't say sign. It's called driver release for a reason. If I do have a signature stop, which I will know ahead of time as they have an R, I will still scan the pkg but will not put it in signature mode. I will instead knock on the door and start filling out the delivery notice while looking for possible alternate delivery locations. I will knock a 2nd time if there is no answer and will then proceed to the first possible alternate delivery location and to the 2nd if needed. I will then go back to the consignee address and will leave the delivery notice with either the alternate delivery location or the reason for non-delivery and will scan the info notice, if needed, and complete the stop.

We have covered the lunch issue. You do what works for you and I will continue to do what works for me.

We have also discussed the working off the clock non-issue. If I do choose to run off a pkg on the way home I will ask the OMS clerk to adjust my tiime card accordingly. This does not happen very often.

The goal is to decrease SPORH with sup on car. Then management has nothing on you. They have failed to make you go faster. If they make you go faster, you will be held to it.

You go 3-4 hours in the hole with these rides, sacrifice the route for three days, you may not finish.. But you will be untouchable. Do everything according to the letter of the law (including parking selection). Do everything you can to decrease SPORH with sup on car.

Your goal is to have a faster SPORH when you fly solo.

From an ex shop steward let me tell you these 3 day rides are all about performance, increasing SPORH. They are riding everybody. If they get your SPORH to increase, you will be held to the new increased SPORH or it's your a**.
I think the majority of drivers are out there doing their jobs, and wanted to get done in a safe and efficient manner. There may be a select minority that are not doing as much as they could or should.
I cannot speak for other centers, but with my center, it seems to be more of a dispatch issue than a performance issue. We've had a few weeks of OJS rides with the targeted "most help needed" or "least best" drivers. Overall, my center as been able to increase SPORH and decrease overallowed.
If anything, the OJS rides were more of an education session for my current management team to learn why certain routes were having so many issues. They've made a few changes, but my center still struggles to be consistant (mostly due to poor dispatch).

Just like most things in life, I think OJS rides are ok in moderation. They have their benefits at certain times with certain drivers and in certain areas. But doing mass OJS rides as you've described are a waste of valuable time and resources.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I agree.

Overall, my center as been able to increase SPORH and decrease overallowed.

That is why we do OJS rides. This has a huge impact on the bottom line and with the consolidation you may see more OJS rides and more drivers being held accountable to thier SPORH.

bad company

semi-pro

I agree.

Overall, my center as been able to increase SPORH and decrease overallowed.

That is why we do OJS rides. This has a huge impact on the bottom line and with the consolidation you may see more OJS rides and more drivers being held accountable to thier SPORH.

But at my center, we don't have a performance issue (for the most part). We have major issues with the dispatch we're getting. There are days where I run -.50 and there are days where I run 1.75 overallowed. It has nothing to do with MY performance, it has to do with management's dispatch. You don't need to ride with me to see that dispatch is jacked up; you just need to be able to read a map. I have no doubt that my center could improve their numbers a lot faster by examining the dispatch issues and asking for driver input, than they can with trying to intimidate drivers into a minor (if any) SPORH increase strictly based on performance.

SWORDFISH

Swordfish, I never said that I talk on my cell while I drive. Doing so is illegal in New York. However, I do use my cell during the day to help both me and my customers. Work smarter, not harder.

Are you telling me that you are incapable of scanning a package and walking while watching the path ahead? I have been using the DIAD long enough now where I can use it without looking at it. It is not uncommon for me to have the package scanned and delivery location selected as I am walking toward the front door. I will knock, put the pkg between the storm and interior doors, hit stop complete and then walk back to the PC. Notice I didn't say check EDD for the next stop---we are supposed to know our next 5 stops. Also notice I didn't say sign. It's called driver release for a reason. If I do have a signature stop, which I will know ahead of time as they have an R, I will still scan the pkg but will not put it in signature mode. I will instead knock on the door and start filling out the delivery notice while looking for possible alternate delivery locations. I will knock a 2nd time if there is no answer and will then proceed to the first possible alternate delivery location and to the 2nd if needed. I will then go back to the consignee address and will leave the delivery notice with either the alternate delivery location or the reason for non-delivery and will scan the info notice, if needed, and complete the stop.

We have covered the lunch issue. You do what works for you and I will continue to do what works for me.

We have also discussed the working off the clock non-issue. If I do choose to run off a pkg on the way home I will ask the OMS clerk to adjust my tiime card accordingly. This does not happen very often.

Im just messing w/ you bro. I think you get attacked on here so much that you confuse humor w/ attacks. I dont think you drive and talk. I was referring to multiple packages not just 1 but it doesnt really matter because I was just messing w/ you.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

But at my center, we don't have a performance issue (for the most part). We have major issues with the dispatch we're getting. There are days where I run -.50 and there are days where I run 1.75 overallowed. It has nothing to do with MY performance, it has to do with management's dispatch. You don't need to ride with me to see that dispatch is jacked up; you just need to be able to read a map. I have no doubt that my center could improve their numbers a lot faster by examining the dispatch issues and asking for driver input, than they can with trying to intimidate drivers into a minor (if any) SPORH increase strictly based on performance.

Its just as p-man states, many times its not the driver fault in an overallowed issue, but other factors. But dont dare tell the local mgt about this because it is ALWAYS the drivers fault...they dont want to fix the real problems...just blame it on the driver.

SWORDFISH

Go on...

I've seen guys slip in their SPORH by 0.2 after a 3 day ride and get threatened with termination.

So what say you??

Union doesnt recognize UPS #s. If they fire someone it will go no where. I had a 3 day ride and I had that threat. I almost never make the SPORH they want. Maybe 2 times a month over the last 4 months. I have not been fired, suspended or anything. Not even a warning letter.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Union doesnt recognize UPS #s. If they fire someone it will go no where. I had a 3 day ride and I had that threat. I almost never make the SPORH they want. Maybe 2 times a month over the last 4 months. I have not been fired, suspended or anything. Not even a warning letter.

IMO, if you cant even come in scratch on a route that you do everyday something is totally wrong. 10% of the time its the driver who is talking to customers too much, the rest of the 90% is just a bogus set of allowance numbers that are not even close to reality. It use to be if you were on a business route you could scratch by just the amount of pieces, now these business routes are where ups is making all the money and they have worked the system where these allowances are poor. The thing about it is the heavier routes are where your going to get hurt picking up 4-500 a day. Its not worth getting your back jacked up so bad that you cant work at ups anymore, let alone never work again because of a major back injury..its just not worth it...period.