SPHOR

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

StopCount, I assume you must have cover drivers run your area from time to time. Assuming that they are taking their contractual lunch and break(s), and further assuming that they are following the methods, are they also unable to meet the SPORH? The only reason I am asking is that we have a driver here who is an hour over daily yet both cover drivers have no problem runnng scratch and, yes, both take their 45 and 10 and both, as far as I know, follow the methods.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Just continue to be safe and as consistant as the route will allow.

Maintain SPORH as consistant as the route will allow (just like OJS ride)....just saying.

over9five

Staff member
SPORH isn't meant to be made every day, because every day is different (am I wrong?)

I think you have to just average your SPORH.

Of course if your route changes dramatically, I would think that would invalidate the 3 day ride.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The way it works here is the weekly average is compared against the 3 day average when you were certified. Any day that can be shown to be significantly different then the days when certified are to be thrown out of the weekly average.

SWORDFISH

Yes!

Here's some quotes from the certified termination letter I received:

On week ending x/x/xx, you failed to maintain and improve on the level of performance that you previously demonstrated while your supervisor rode with you. You were re-trained in the proper delivery and pickup methods on x/x/xx, x/x/xx, and x/x/xx.

In order for UPS to stay competitive and maintain its reputation as the most reliable service provider in the industry it must require that all of its employees work in a manner that reflects the best interests of the company.

Article 37 of the Natioinal Master United Parcel Service Agreement states "the parties agree that the principle of a fair days work for a fair days pay shall be observed at all times and employees in a manner that best represents the employers interest."

Failure on your part to maintain your performance to a level that you have demonstrated with management on the car has resulted in your discharge.

Respectfully,

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE

I agree w/ alll the above advice. I will add this- if UPS is going to engage in this game (for whatever reason) you have to do the same. When they ride w/ find a way to make your time slower w/ out being obvious. Now Im not saying be dishonest. I will not encourgage or be involved in that. People tend to run faster w/ their supervisors w/ them due to increased adrenaline, skipping breaks, customers helping you more, and other variables. PM me if you want some advice. I have been in this position plenty. I dont know much about being off the radar. Im kind of disappointed when Im not getting attention :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
Re: SPORH

Don't go slower. Just don't skip anything that you're supposed to do anyhow.

1. MAKE ALTERNATE DELIVERY ATTEMPTS! You know those signature required packages that you just NI1. Leave a note, and start knocking on neighbors doors till you find one that will sign. Big time for this.

2. Obviously use walk paths, no cutting thru lawns.

3. OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT.

Any more?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Be careful on the alternate delivery attempts--as I recall the method is to try one door on each side of the del address.

The speed limit is a given.

I was taught most direct path pkg car to front door.

trouble maker

They have to show you the results of the three day ride. You have to sign off on the results. If they don't allow you to see or to sign off on it then it is not valid. Therefore they can't enforce (they can certainly try to).

If they show you the results, you have the right to add your comments to their results.

I, personally, would be making notes on the paperwork, stating the load was lightened, the miles were lessened, the load was perfected prior to leave time. I would make them initial and I would make them give me a copy of it. If there was any disciplinary action taken as a result of not complying with the SPORH, I would produce a copy of the three day ride. They certainly will not.

There are ways to counteract mgt's attempts at forcing this type of action. You have to be proactive in your actions.
First of all, you don't have to sign anything but your paycheck. They use to try to make us sign those stupid driver release review sheets years ago to try to get some sucker to pay for DR claims. 2nd, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I would make them initial and I would make them give me a copy of it.

How would you make "us" initial it? I assume you mean management.

I review the ojs all day long with the driver. I make sure I start with "I instructed, trained the Service Provider in the correct method of """"""". I have never included anything in the letter I did not review with the Service Provider.

SWORDFISH

Re: SPORH

1. MAKE ALTERNATE DELIVERY ATTEMPTS! You know those signature required packages that you just NI1. Leave a note, and start knocking on neighbors doors till you find one that will sign. Big time for this.

3. OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT.

Any more?

1. use your hand cart more often

2. follow trace

3. 100% p/up compliance

4. dont let the supe help you

5. dont let your customers help you or do anything extra unless they normally do(I had a customer on my last ride along that never helps me that tried to help me at a 60pkg a day stop and I told him please dont cuz he normally doesnt. I know its a method to encourage a helping hand but its not fair to only have the help when Im being wached so I declined. The supe didnt like it and I politely explained that I normally do it by myself).

6. dont block driveways or other cars

7. Dont touch any pkgs during breaks or lunch time

8. Move at your regular brisk pace not faster cuz your trying to impress or slower

9. When you are at complex or mall fill up your hand truck deliver your pkgs and then go back into your truck and get the next pkgs out of the back. Dont get all the pkgs out and deliver some and come back for the others even if your at 2 stops right next to each other.

10. Work as instructed

11. walk more and move the truck less its safer

12. Im sure theres more Im not thinking of right now

If you do or are doing these things I dont see how you could be performing that much worse. My time is always a bit worse w/ the OCS w/ me. I do better by myself so its hard for them to say Im out there screwing around w/ that happening.

SWORDFISH

I would make them initial and I would make them give me a copy of it.

How would you make "us" initial it? I assume you mean management.

I review the ojs all day long with the driver. I make sure I start with "I instructed, trained the Service Provider in the correct method of """"""". I have never included anything in the letter I did not review with the Service Provider.

Exactly. Neither party has to sign or initial.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree w/ alll the above advice. I will add this- if UPS is going to engage in this game (for whatever reason) you have to do the same. When they ride w/ find a way to make your time slower w/ out being obvious. Now Im not saying be dishonest. I will not encourgage or be involved in that. People tend to run faster w/ their supervisors w/ them due to increased adrenaline, skipping breaks, customers helping you more, and other variables. PM me if you want some advice. I have been in this position plenty. I dont know much about being off the radar. Im kind of disappointed when Im not getting attention :wink2:
Especially when said supervisor's are taller and way overweight and walk behind you, kicking your heels as they go. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

3. OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT.

Any more?
Agreed! Do the methods and that's all. If they want to treat you this way, stop going above and beyond what is called for.

Don't call pick ups.
Speed Limit and following distance go hand in hand.
Stale green lights!
Save your knees and climb one step at a time.
Indirect NI pkgs.
Walk at a brisk "safe" pace, a pace where you won't turn an ankle or trip.
L,R,L, at all stop signs and intersection.............."ALL".

All of these are their methods and they work, if done properly. If they go out with you and challenge you, tell em STUG said they'd better start cracking that whip elsewhere, because you are not going to put up with any harassment.

And do all the stuff SWORDFISH recommends as well, LOL. Great minds, ya know.

bad company

semi-pro
Be careful on the alternate delivery attempts--as I recall the method is to try one door on each side of the del address.

It should be the safest most direct path to the delivery location. Walking through grass, over fallen limbs, branches, rocks, leaves, etc... is a potential safety hazzard (slips and falls). Therefore, I strongly recommend that you stick to side walks and paved walk ways when available. Besides... I'd hate to get my pretty shined and polished shoes dirty!

Omega man

Not correct according to their methods. The OJS or Safety Ride sheet that the supervisor is checking off has a box for whether or not the driver “uses prescribed walkways – no short cuts" (Section 22, Fixed Objects). In other words, you should be taking the marked walk paths to the door (sidewalk, driveway etc.). You should not be cutting across lawns if that is what you meant. It is much easier to turn an ankle or step in a hole if you do not follow the prescribed paths. It’s too bad for UPS if it takes longer. With regard to the alternate attempts to neighbors, you are supposed to use the triangle method. You try the door next door, then if necessary, the door across the street.

Last edited:

bad company

semi-pro
  • Cross the street from the rear of the package car... again, this is for driver safety. This will add some extra steps in the day.
  • Cross the street at designated pedestrian crosswalks when available. Obviously, in a subdivision, there won't be a crosswalk for every house. But if your route is anything like mine, and you deliver a downtown area, you may have well-marked pedestrian crossings. Use them...
  • Be sure to fold in your mirrors at any stop in which a passer by could hit your mirror.... don't forget to fold them back out before you pull out after looking over your left shoulder. Heck, you might want to look over your shoulder twice, just to be super safe.
  • Don't forget to check underneath your package car up returning from a delivery. Look for kids, balls, leaks, etc... this is also a safety issue.
  • Use your handtruck as much as possible for stops with multiple packages.
  • Do not overload your handtruck. Manufacturer says not to exceed 300 lbs. But every one is different, and depending on the terrain and weather conditions, the safer choice may be to reduce maximum weight capacity to 225 lbs... you get the idea.
  • Walk outside and around to the rear door for any rear door stops. DO NOT walk through your bulkhead door for a rear door stop.
  • Ask for hourly assistance with over 70s. This is a contractual right... use it.
      1. [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
        No employee will be required to solicit or accept customer assistance if it is the employee's good faith belief that the customer is not qualified to help or that such assistance would be a safety hazard to themselves or the customer.
        [/FONT]

2. [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee's good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases, the Employer shall provide whichever of the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages:[/FONT]
        [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or[/FONT]
        [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or[/FONT]
        [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]3. Another bargaining unit employee and an appropriate lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device...[/FONT]
        [/FONT]
  • [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    If your hub/center has a designated package car mirror check area (yellow lines painted on the pavement), go there every morning and use it.​
    [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Again, the theme repeated here is SAFETY FIRST! Your on-road sup and OJS ride cannot do anything about that...[/FONT][/FONT]​

Dragon

Package Center Manager
SWORDFISH,STUG and STOPCOUNT - you are all correct and I have no problem with the methods you listed, but it is amazing how many drivers I have OJS'd and they do not even follow the basic methods you listed. The look of shock on their faces when they see the daily report on how much work they completed and how early they punched out is worth it every time. I have also OJS'd drivers that follow the methods and the increase in SPORH is minimal, usually this ride is a driver who just wants someone to listen to him/her and fix something on the route and they have no problem bring the route in everyday.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

In my center you better use number 2 first (use your hand cart first) !! I guess thats why no one bothers to call/text the center and ask ....

bad company

semi-pro
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Pre-trip - a proper pretrip will take you some time. Be sure to do a completely thorough pretrip each and every day (especially during OJS rides).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Section 2[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Inside AM – Pretrip Methods [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]I. Outside the vehicle[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]A. Look for water, fuel, or oil leaks as you approach the car.
B. Check the car for dents and scratches throughout your inspection.

C. Check the oil and water levels if it is your responsibility.
II. In the cab
A. Enter the cab and store any supplies.
B. Review the EDD views to determine your first stops.
1. Identify characteristics of each Point Address such as, commit times, number of units of work, where packages are loaded in the car, Return Services, etc.
2. Review the minimum number of views necessary to plan ahead.
3. EDD eliminates the need to enter the cargo area to handle packages.
C. Insert the DIAD into the holder.
D. Check all emergency equipment. Check that the fire extinguisher is correctly charged and the reflective triangles are stored properly.
E. Check the hazardous materials pouch to determine the number of hazardous materials packages in the load. Make sure the Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Guidebook is in the pocket, is current and above the driver’s seat on the bulkhead. Verify the prohibited hazardous materials poster is posted in the cab.
III. In the cargo area
A. Make sure you have the equipment you need (carry aid, portable rollers, smalls bags, Driver Release bags, etc.) and they are properly secured.
B. Review and organize Driver Follow-ups and Return Services in the order you will complete them per the EDD delivery order.
C. Check for Over-70 pound packages.
1. Use the information on the Preload Communication Card for your vehicle to determine the number and locations of the Over-70 pound packages.
2. Decide the handling option for each of these packages, such as hand truck, rollers, customer help, another Service Provider’s help, or handling the package unassisted within the Power Zone. (If the cargo area is too full to allow access to the rear then, the Over-70 pound packages should be checked later throughthe rear door.)
D. Exit the cargo area, enter the cab, and then close the bulkhead door.
IV. In the cab
A. Prepare for your pretrip. While sitting in the driver’s seat, turn the ignition on and leave the engine off.
1. The hydro-boost brake light should illuminate and the buzzer should sound.
B. Turn on the car’s lights and four-way flashers.
1. Make sure that both low beams and high beams work.
2. Leave lights and flashers on and continue your inspection.
C. Inspect the rear vision monitor to make sure it is working and properly adjusted.
D. Inspect the mirrors to make sure they are clean, undamaged, and properly adjusted.
V. Check for excessive play in steering wheel
A. Manual Steering Wheel
1. Exit the driver’s side, leaving the ignition on and the engine off.
2. Watch the left front tire as you move steering wheel back and forth (see
chart for allowed amount of free play). You should be able to move the
steering wheel back and forth up to the allowed amount of inches with no
movement of the tire.
B. Power Steering Wheel
1. Remain seated and turn engine on. The power steering check should be
done from the driver’s seat.
2. You should be able to move the steering wheel back and forth up to the
allowed amount of inches with no movement of the tire.
3. Exit the driver’s side, leaving the ignition on and the engine off.

[/FONT][/FONT]

bad company

semi-pro
Note:
The normal, average diameter of the steering wheels in UPS vehicles is 22 inches.

VI. Outside the vehicle
A. Check the left front wheel for tire pressure, cuts, and abrasions.
1. Make sure the valve stem cap and wheel nuts are present.
2. Visual check to ensure no cracks to the rim. Also check for evidence of “rust tracking” from the lug nuts indicating that the lug nuts could be loose and require tightening.
3. Ensure tread depth is no less than 4/32 inch. Use reverse side of penny as gauge for both front and rear tires.
B. Check that the left side reflector and marker light are in good condition.
C. Check the front lights and reflectors.
1. Make sure the headlights, parking lights, four-way flashers, and reflectors are in good condition.
D. Check the right front wheel for tire pressure, cuts and abrasions.
2. Visual check to ensure no cracks to the rim. Also check for evidence of “rust tracking” from the lug nuts indicating that the lug nuts could be loose and require tightening.
3. Ensure tread depth is no less than 4/32 inch.
E. Check that the right side reflector and marker light are in good condition.
friend. Make sure the fuel cap is not missing, if on this side of the vehicle.
G. Check that the rear right side reflector and marker light are in good condition.
H. Check the right rear wheels for tire pressure, cuts and abrasions.
3. Ensure tread depth is no less than 2/32 inch.
4. Remember to visually check the inside tire as you walk around the vehicle to ensure tire is not worn down, flat or has abrasions. Avoid bending to view the tire for inspection.
I. Check the rear lights and reflectors.
1. Make sure that the rear tail lights and four-way flashers are working, and
reflectors are in good condition.
J. Make sure the rear door is closed and secured. Inspect rear door handle and lock.
K. Check the TP-60 and coupling device, if present.
L. Check that the rear left side reflector and marker light are in good condition.
M. Check the left rear wheels for tire pressure, cuts and abrasions.
3. Ensure tread depth is no less than 2/32 inch.
4. Remember to visually check the inside tire as you walk around the vehicle to ensure tire is not worn down, flat or has abrasions. Avoid bending to view the tire for inspection.
N. Make sure the fuel cap is not missing, if on this side of the vehicle.
VII. In the cab
A. Return to the cab.
1. Take your seat and fasten seat belt.
2. Turn off the lights and four-way flashers.
B. Tap the horn, and check the windshield wipers and windshield.
C. Test the turn signals.
1. Check the turn signals by listening for the clicking sound or looking for the flashing indicator lights.
D. Start the car.
1. Shift into reverse to check the backup lights. You should see the white light reflected in your mirrors, or you can ask someone behind your car to verify that the backup lights are on.
2. At all times minimize engine idle time in the building.
3. If the hydro-boost brake buzzer and light remain on, a mechanic should
inspect the system.
4. Check the oil pressure gauge; ensure response at start car.
5. Check ammeter, voltmeter, all gauges and warning lights. Ensure fuel gauge shows enough fuel to complete day’s work.
6. Listen for peculiar noises.
E. Check the parking brake.
1. While the parking brake is on, put the transmission in first gear and slowly let out the clutch. The parking brake should hold the car in place.
2. With automatic transmissions, perform this test by putting the transmission in drive.
friend. Test the foot brake.
1. As you start to pull out, apply the foot brake. The pedal should not move
more than half the distance to the floor.
G. Check the clutch pedal clearance.
1. The clutch pedal should have 1.5 to 2 inches of free travel before it engages.
H. Review and sign the previous day’s Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR).

bad company

semi-pro
1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

In my center you better use number 2 first (use your hand cart first) !! I guess thats why no one bothers to call/text the center and ask ....

Use number 2 first or what?...

I'll call you collect and tell you to send another bargaining unit employee. If you refuse, the package is missed. That simple...

Good luck trying to dicipline me for it.