Split Shifts

FDX77

What is the weekly limit -per policy for scheduled splits? I believe the policy states 3? At our station it's an epidemic. Many of us are being scheduled for 4 and sometimes 5 splits a week with a 4 hour break to reduce OT. P1 route then night route. Overflow P2 is given to part-time, not us full-time splitters. Our regional HR and the Alert line have not helped, anyone know the contact information to Memphis HR? Any advice is appreciated. Many at my station have been doing splits for over 10 years. Exhausted.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
10 years......OMG! I did them for 4 and that seemed like eternity.

Anyway how convenient of them since there is no more split shift pay bonus. HR isn't gonna help (they're just management apologists) and the alert line I'm not familiar with but my guess is that it's just window dressing. I suppose the only help would be from a sympathetic district director, but good luck with that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What is the weekly limit -per policy for scheduled splits? I believe the policy states 3? At our station it's an epidemic. Many of us are being scheduled for 4 and sometimes 5 splits a week with a 4 hour break to reduce OT. P1 route then night route. Overflow P2 is given to part-time, not us full-time splitters. Our regional HR and the Alert line have not helped, anyone know the contact information to Memphis HR? Any advice is appreciated. Many at my station have been doing splits for over 10 years. Exhausted.

You need to check your state labor laws. Calling HR or Memphis is akin to a Jewish person calling Hitler for assistance.

dex 84

Does the 10 hr rule go into effect for split shift in between a pm rte and coming back in for a p1 rte

It's always in effect. It's the law. 10 hours punch out to punch in required minimum.

I hate having exactly 10 hours off in between shifts though. The worst is if my end time is falling at such a time that 10 hours later is in the middle of the AM sort. Yeah, just come in 10 hours after you punch out and go right to your truck, already half full of freight...

Slick silver

Heck that's what I do, whenever I have work a pm route. I make sure my punch out time takes me off of the sort in the am. Just punch in go straight to my truck and van scan and then leave. The only thing that sucks is someone always leaves those couple extra p1 in your truck, because they felt they had to many.

fatboy33

Ask you district manager why isn't your station running DRA? What a waste of dollars by purple on a program which is suppose to create efficiency only to have it shelved by half the country.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ask you district manager why isn't your station running DRA? What a waste of dollars by purple on a program which is suppose to create efficiency only to have it shelved by half the country.
Fred would rather waste that money on DRA (or just as soon flush it down the toilet) than pay a courier a decent wage or pay a retiree a decent pension.

dex 84

Heck that's what I do, whenever I have work a pm route. I make sure my punch out time takes me off of the sort in the am. Just punch in go straight to my truck and van scan and then leave. The only thing that sucks is someone always leaves those couple extra p1 in your truck, because they felt they had to many.

I hate missing the sort. The earlier I punch in relation to the end of the sort, the sooner I start earning OT on the road.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A person dumb enough to work splits for 10 years doesn't have a manager problem.

Wow, Dano Boy. Since when are you given a choice to work a split? If you are assigned a split-shift, you can only waive the split if management gives the OK, as in a National Service Disruption etc. Translation: Always on the terms of FedEx and when it suits their needs.

I always advise couriers to make sure they take their split precisely on the days FedEx doesn't want them to...for maximum disruption.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You may not know this, but it's 2015 and you can quit a job with crappy hours and get one with reasonable hours.

What hours so shills work? Obviously, the bar is very low and qualifications are minimal to become one. I'm guessing you work from home monitoring social media and maintaining your various identities. Sounds pretty cake.

fatboy33

You may not know this, but it's 2015 and you can quit a job with crappy hours and get one with reasonable hours.
Hey You guys, Dano is telling you all to quit working for Purple. This must be the word coming out of MEM1. Thanks for the inside information. Been here too long to quit now but will be retiring pretty soon. I could sooner but I actually enjoy coming to work and being in my area all day.

Purplepackage

The only people who work splits at my station are either part timers who are trying to get more than 4 hours a day ( which as of last week they are no longer allowed to deliver p2 which makes them furious) or a couple people who are "full time" but suck to bad to do anything except ubload and run the easiest pup routes

dex 84

The only people who work splits at my station are either part timers who are trying to get more than 4 hours a day ( which as of last week they are no longer allowed to deliver p2 which makes them furious) or a couple people who are "full time" but suck to bad to do anything except ubload and run the easiest pup routes

This kind of :censored2: is why I always hit them for all they're worth when it gets busy. If I stick around for peak this year I'll be up against the 70 hour rule. It just sucks for me that I can't work both days off and get double time because I need a 34 hour reset but most other drivers (including PTers) can if they want to because they're non-DOT.

On the other hand it's good because by the time Sunday rolls around I need a day off. I'd take the hours if they were there though.