Spring

texan

I can't multi-quote because I'm "special" and not in that good kind of way. In regards to squirrels...yes, they can be a problem, but I love em'. They're one of God's little creatures and I feed them too. They do eat my bird seed and that is very expensive, so I offer them peanuts. As a matter of fact I hand feed them when they come to the door looking for more. They're gentle creatures and my cats love to watch them.

You can try to squirrel proof your feeders by putting a rounded bowl on top of your feeders. They'll jump on top, but slide right off. You can also crisco or butter the pole and they'll slide down. I've also got a slinky and I've heard if you attach it to the base of the bird feeder they can't climb it, but I haven't put it up yet. Oh one last thing, they make something called a "baffle" and it's supposed to stop them from climbing as well, but it's expensive. Me and my squirrels have an agreement, leave my beautiful flowers alone, and you can eat the birdseed and peanuts.

Anyhoo, happy spring to all.
I feed them also. Raw peanuts.
My photos.
DSCF0373_zps25e8ed79.jpg

DSCF0346_zps0162e335.jpg

DSCF0363_zps62f074ae.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
I used to have a wild bird feeder.......until I found full grown Norwegian Roof Rats inside the glass container......there's only a 'slit' for an opening.

I quit.......no snow here, the birds can fend for themselves.

texan

Ok back to Spring........ (I like that rat MoreLuck) Funny
None yet but I await blooms here and my rose garden to come forth.
Last years picture. My photo. I am tired of winter here.

DSCF2003_zpsec2d9107.jpg

S

serenity now

You can try to squirrel proof your feeders by putting a rounded bowl on top of your feeders. They'll jump on top, but slide right off. You can also crisco or butter the pole and they'll slide down. I've also got a slinky and I've heard if you attach it to the base of the bird feeder they can't climb it, but I haven't put it up yet. Oh one last thing, they make something called a "baffle" and it's supposed to stop them from climbing as well, but it's expensive. Me and my squirrels have an agreement, leave my beautiful flowers alone, and you can eat the birdseed and peanuts.

Anyhoo, happy spring to all.

there is no way to squirrel proof a bird feeder * got one squirrel i named Karl (Wallenda) * he got pissed when i put a piece of stovepipe around the post to prevent climbing * so now he starts 100 ft. away and walks down the electrical service entrance (no net) until he is over the feeder * drops down 3.5 ft. to the top of the post where he turns upside down holding on to the top of the post with his rear legs while his front tree-rat arms are raking seed out of the tray to his buddies on the ground * then he leaps to the ground to join in on the feast * sumbeach!

texan

there is no way to squirrel proof a bird feeder * got one squirrel i named Karl (Wallenda) * he got pissed when i put a piece of stovepipe around the post to prevent climbing * so now he starts 100 ft. away and walks down the electrical service entrance (no net) until he is over the feeder * drops down 3.5 ft. to the top of the post where he turns upside down holding on to the top of the post with his rear legs while his front tree-rat arms are raking seed out of the tray to his buddies on the ground * then he leaps to the ground to join in on the feast * sumbeach!
I agree The Most High gave them cunning insight to obtain food from bird feeders.

They are something. They run in front of cars, they seem dumb, but when it comes to bird feeders............

Houdini has nothing on them when it comes to this challenge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMMRnVYOrdg

gingerkat

My roses are in bloom all year long - yay! I hate gardening, but in memory of my mum, I planted 60 gladiolas today as they were her favorite. I know they should be up and blooming by late June.

p.s. Thanks Texan for those squirrel pics...they made me smile!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just an observation, I saw what looked to be an Eastern Phoebe today. Honestly, it's the first time I recall seeing a bird since Christmas, though that may have to do with cabin fever more than anything. Spring has sprung!

DS

Fenderbender
Last here here it was 22 celsius, today it was-1.
But in 4 months we'll be complaining about the heat.
Us Canucks like talking about the weather.