SSI accounts

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Exactly. I've been spoken to because I got to an SSI account 1/2 hour early. I had to go there first because my car was loaded up to the bulkhead with their packages. The center manager said I should have prerecorded it. I told him that I would be falsifying information if I did.

I'm sorry, did you say that you got spoken to because you delivered a customers packages 1/2 hour earlier than we said we were going to? And your center manager wanted you to prerecord the stop? Every single one of my customers would have loved you for that and your center manager is a maroon for suggesting that you prerecord a bulk stop. Keep on taking care of your customers--we need more like you.

over9five

Staff member
<sigh> I've known drivers that have been spoken to about this (delivering an SSI account too early). The problem is that you show up on one of their 98 daily reports....
The customer is happy.... but you've done something wrong according to a report.

pkgdriver

Yep...The people in the Ivory Towers are just itching to pounce on the center manager,On Road, and Driver for an SSI acct that is delivered 1 min early..... Can you say out of touch

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I average at least 1-2 report entries a week, usually for stupid stuff like going back to deliver a pkg that had a bad address after receiving updated info from the consignee or going back to retry a NM COD or for whatever other reason. I am far and away the "leader" in multiple delivery attempts (200+ times on report) as I simply do not like send agains.

old levi's

blank space
Well it sounds like you already know what it is, a committed delivery time to a customer. The purpose of this is to generate more delivery volume to that customer. A BD rep sells the SSI in hopes that the customer will request more of its vendors to send them packages via UPS. This generates more volume for our company. The BD rep is supposed to get with the center to identify the best delivery time for the account before it is made an SSI.

There is the key element, but there is no discussion or compromise.
BD will promise them anything to get the account; then performance is another's problem. Guess whose problem?

govols019

You smell that?
I'm sorry, did you say that you got spoken to because you delivered a customers packages 1/2 hour earlier than we said we were going to? And your center manager wanted you to prerecord the stop? Every single one of my customers would have loved you for that and your center manager is a maroon for suggesting that you prerecord a bulk stop. Keep on taking care of your customers--we need more like you.

I was told that I would receive a warning letter if I did it again.

govols019

You smell that?
Wouldn't matter. This a national account and the center manager, like most things these days, has no control over it.

old levi's

blank space
It doesn't matter it it's early or late, it shows up on an exception report as being outside of the promised delivery window causing the :poop: to collide with the rotary cooling device.

JustTired

free at last.......
"You have to deliver 1-1/2 days worth of work in less than 9.5 hours. But don't deliver that air late and don't deliver that SSI account early! Don't turn left or back up! And, when you come in, make sure you can recite the 10-point commentary word for word."

Boy......am I glad I'm now on the outside looking in!!!!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Exactly. I've been spoken to because I got to an SSI account 1/2 hour early. I had to go there first because my car was loaded up to the bulkhead with their packages. The center manager said I should have prerecorded it. I told him that I would be falsifying information if I did.

Tieguy; What's a driver really supposed to do??

over9five

Staff member
Tieguy; What's a driver really supposed to do??

I wouldn't pre-record. That IS falsifying. If they pressed me when I occassionally delivered an SSI early because I had bulk in the way, I'd go do something for the half hour. Do a couple airs, dig out a couple housecalls, maybe.

Bottom line is we work as directed. Sit in the companies parking lot and wave to them for the half hour. Then deliver.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
delivering pkges to early!!!!! warning letter!!! what have we become?? thank God for feeders I couldn't take this ship no longer!!!

TSup

A few items with SSI,

1) The center team along with BD input these times. BD inputs when this account would like to be delivered, and the center team, with BD decides when it ultimately can be delivered and inputs the final time.

2) These times are not set forever. There is a fairly large window and it can be adjusted. We also had an account that was being delivered early, all it took was for us to talk with BD and move the time up 30 minutes.

3) The reason for SSI is very simple. We sell this free service to our customers because Fed Ex can't do it. We tell them we can have everything here between x and x with one driver. The large customer can be ready with respect to staffing everyday. You would be surprised how many large customers want this commitment so they can plan their employees days.

By the way, do not follow the bad advice and tell a customer to call the 800 number. You will just end up getting yourself in trouble. Better would be to talk to your center manager and ask if this time can be moved up if you continue to get there earlier than the time slotted. BD would love it, the customer would probably love it, and sometimes it helps in getting additional volume including inbound volume.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By the way, do not follow the bad advice and tell a customer to call the 800 number. You will just end up getting yourself in trouble. Better would be to talk to your center manager and ask if this time can be moved up if you continue to get there earlier than the time slotted. BD would love it, the customer would probably love it, and sometimes it helps in getting additional volume including inbound volume.

My point in giving that advice was that the customer appreciated getting his pkgs 1/2 early and wanted to support his driver. Your advice is much better and I didn't even think of doing that. Thank you for correcting me.

govols019

You smell that?
What if talking to the center manager did you no good. That's what happened here.

We have one guy with an SSI account that him and the customer just sit on the dock waiting for the time window to open up.

Please explain how a customer calling the 1-800 number to compliment a driver could get him in trouble?

over9five

Staff member
Great information from TSup. I had no idea the windows could be changed.

In Govols example, it could be that his center manager doesn't know that the time window can be changed. Maybe you could talk to a BD person, and have him get with your center manager.

TSup

Please explain how a customer calling the 1-800 number to compliment a driver could get him in trouble?

I have seen drivers get in trouble because what they thought the customer was going to do ended up differently. One case where a driver knew a 3 day ride was coming, told the customers he thought he knew well not to help him like they usually do, one called in on him, guess what happened to him.

I could see you telling this customer, "hey just call in and tell them you really liked getting an earlier delivery", then the customer calls and when asked why they were calling tells management you told them to call in because you got in trouble for making a delivery too early.

Why take that chance?

govols019

You smell that?
Great information from TSup. I had no idea the windows could be changed.

In Govols example, it could be that his center manager doesn't know that the time window can be changed. Maybe you could talk to a BD person, and have him get with your center manager.

Isn't knowing the rules of the business kinda the center manager's job?

I found out the time window could be changed but only because I happen to ask our DM about it one day when he came for a visit. I also found out that just because the delivery window says 9:30AM-10:00AM doesn't mean you absolutely have to be there in that time frame. There's a 15 minute window on either side of those times. So, it's actually 9:15-10:45. I have one SSI account that I deliver early to after I was told that and there hasn't been any problem.

I haven't seen a BD in months.

govols019

You smell that?
I have seen drivers get in trouble because what they thought the customer was going to do ended up differently. One case where a driver knew a 3 day ride was coming, told the customers he thought he knew well not to help him like they usually do, one called in on him, guess what happened to him.

I could see you telling this customer, "hey just call in and tell them you really liked getting an earlier delivery", then the customer calls and when asked why they were calling tells management you told them to call in because you got in trouble for making a delivery too early.

Why take that chance?

What happened to him? Why did the customer call in a complaint?

I don't tell them to call the 1-800 number. I give them the center number and my on-cars name.