Staggered warehouse times

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
No Dave you weren't. Maybe in your mind and the BOG but your statements about Orion were proven wrong in other threads by many who had more experience with it than you.
Dave isn't wrong. If ORION is set up right, it's a decent tool. The problem is On Cars aren't working with guys to fix the issues. I hear more complaints about Orion on here than I do in the center.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This is every week... Thursday start time 5:35.. Friday 6:30 or later.. I don't understand there severe drop off.. Years ago I remember as we got closer to peak Friday got to about 6pm.. Not later like now...

In the 16 years I've worked for UPS, the start time for Local Sort (a.k.a. Reload, Twilight, etc.) has always been much later on Friday than that of the rest of the week. This is because volume is significantly lighter for a multitude of reasons: many businesses are closed Friday, people work fewer hours (and shipping is not a priority), people tend to defer shipments until the weekend/Monday (for example, on Friday, that college student isn't worried about getting his Chegg book returned-he'll do it on Monday), etc. Conversely, volume is heaviest on Monday, as people return to work + play catch-up. The first half of my career, Local Sort posted a weekly start time and employees knew to come in an hour earlier on Monday and hour later on Friday. Then UPS really started to stagger start times (4:30PM M, 5:00 T, 4:45 W, 5:15 R, 6:30 friend) and you had to write them down to keep track.

This doesn't make sense to me... What's the difference in working 5:30-9:30... Or 6:30-10:30... Either way it's still 4 hours.. Same production.. Same people.. Same volume.. Just an hour later for packages to be late and sups losing their minds...

It might seem that way, but it's not. Unless your facility handles something like an Amazon distribution center, volume will always be lighter on Fridays (because shipping packages is just not a priority for most people on Friday). The two biggest inputs in production are labor hours + volume processed; if volume drops, you must cut labor hours to keep production numbers up. While it may seem like there's "the same people" working the same number of hours, I can virtually guarantee you there's not. YOU may be working the same number of hours, but some of your co-workers probably have Fridays off, while others are going home after an hour or two. For years, I thought the same thing as you until I was mature enough to understand otherwise.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Dave isn't wrong. If ORION is set up right, it's a decent tool. The problem is On Cars aren't working with guys to fix the issues. I hear more complaints about Orion on here than I do in the center.
He was wrong about his assumptions of Orion many times.

If it's set up right.....yeah that happens, maybe in small center or the BOG, but in large urban dense areas, its solutions are usually way off no matter how much fixing for some reason

AutoZone

BrownPower
In the 16 years I've worked for UPS, the start time for Local Sort (a.k.a. Reload, Twilight, etc.) has always been much later on Friday than that of the rest of the week. This is because volume is significantly lighter for a multitude of reasons: many businesses are closed Friday, people work fewer hours (and shipping is not a priority), people tend to defer shipments until the weekend/Monday (for example, on Friday, that college student isn't worried about getting his Chegg book returned-he'll do it on Monday), etc. Conversely, volume is heaviest on Monday, as people return to work + play catch-up. The first half of my career, Local Sort posted a weekly start time and employees knew to come in an hour earlier on Monday and hour later on Friday. Then UPS really started to stagger start times (4:30PM M, 5:00 T, 4:45 W, 5:15 R, 6:30 friend) and you had to write them down to keep track.

It might seem that way, but it's not. Unless your facility handles something like an Amazon distribution center, volume will always be lighter on Fridays (because shipping packages is just not a priority for most people on Friday). The two biggest inputs in production are labor hours + volume processed; if volume drops, you must cut labor hours to keep production numbers up. While it may seem like there's "the same people" working the same number of hours, I can virtually guarantee you there's not. YOU may be working the same number of hours, but some of your co-workers probably have Fridays off, while others are going home after an hour or two. For years, I thought the same thing as you until I was mature enough to understand otherwise.
We do have an amazing distribution center near us.. And I'm not whining or complaining.. It's just an observation.. I don't care either way.. My observation is I see management freak out on Friday nights way more then any other night... And we also leave an hour later on Friday nights.. So my observation is why not start an hour early so we're not playing catch up.. If you haven't read the earlier posts, I understand volume is lighter as the week goes on.. 120k on Monday.. 80k yesterday... Monday we work 5:30-9-30 maybe even earlier.. This past Friday we worked 6:40 and I walked out at 11:15.. So it seems people are working longer with less volume on Fridays... In my logical head it makes no sense... And the same feeders are there on Mondays start times as Fridays start times (based on them being on time of course).. Again, were starting an hour later to stay an hour+ later it seems.. Again, all of this just an observation.. I'm not trying to be above anyone.. If I have an employee that wants hours, and one that doesn't... I'm keeping the one that wants hours and letting the one who doesn't go home.. That creates 2 happy employees... Instead of the latter, creating 2 unhappy employees.. Seems UPS favors the latter always..

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We do have an amazing distribution center near us.. And I'm not whining or complaining.. It's just an observation.. I don't care either way.. My observation is I see management freak out on Friday nights way more then any other night... And we also leave an hour later on Friday nights.. So my observation is why not start an hour early so we're not playing catch up.. If you haven't read the earlier posts, I understand volume is lighter as the week goes on.. 120k on Monday.. 80k yesterday... Monday we work 5:30-9-30 maybe even earlier.. This past Friday we worked 6:40 and I walked out at 11:15.. So it seems people are working longer with less volume on Fridays... In my logical head it makes no sense... And the same feeders are there on Mondays start times as Fridays start times (based on them being on time of course).. Again, were starting an hour later to stay an hour+ later it seems.. Again, all of this just an observation.. I'm not trying to be above anyone.. If I have an employee that wants hours, and one that doesn't... I'm keeping the one that wants hours and letting the one who doesn't go home.. That creates 2 happy employees... Instead of the latter, creating 2 unhappy employees.. Seems UPS favors the latter always..

It makes perfect logic sense, but you're not "getting the whole picture:" Because volume is lighter, your management team needs to use fewer labor hours to meet its production goals, hence the later start time. While YOU may be working the same number of hours as you do Mon.-Thurs., I can guarantee you that many of your co-workers are not. If your facility handles over 120K pieces, there's probably a couple hundred PTers and there's no way that you know them all or intimate details of their schedule. It's Friday night -- the same people who whine & cry Mon-Thur about the lack of hours are the first persons volunteering to go home. Hence you stay.

I can GUARANTEE this because ultimately if your management team was working the same number of labor hours with less volume, its production numbers would be in the crapper and UPS would've cleaned house by now.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
In my logical head it makes no sense... And the same feeders are there on Mondays start times as Fridays start times (based on them being on time of course).. Again, were starting an hour later to stay an hour+ later it seems.. Again, all of this just an observation.. I'm not trying to be above anyone.. If I have an employee that wants hours, and one that doesn't... I'm keeping the one that wants hours and letting the one who doesn't go home.. That creates 2 happy employees... Instead of the latter, creating 2 unhappy employees.. Seems UPS favors the latter always..
You love to pretend you are somehow more logical than everybody else. But a logical person doesn't ignore every rational argument that comes his way.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Yesterday went kind of smooth for once... Had the entire south east sort aisle cleaned up by 9:20... All by myself while Manning the air sort while they sent the rest of the sorters to the northwest cause they were getting hammered.. Sup comes up and says wow, nice job.. Go home. :) thank you sir!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

In my local supplement ...the start times for Tues-Friday can only be a max of 30 minutes later than the Monday start time for a given week.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Dave
It depends on the supplement. He's in the southern. It might be different. I'll have to look at the contract book when I can. Or the OP could just get a copy of the contract himself and actually educate himself on it.

Especially since he wants to be a career upser.

AutoZone

BrownPower
When I'm making $54 an hour OT, I'll take the time to read that.. Lol right now, writing way to much to think about reading thru a contract that half of it doesn't even apply to me yet.. I'd rather sleep the 6 hours a day in home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I'm making $54 an hour OT, I'll take the time to read that.. Lol right now, writing way to much to think about reading thru a contract that half of it doesn't even apply to me yet.. I'd rather sleep the 6 hours a day in home.

Amazon has copies of the "UPS/IBT Contract for Dummies". You may want to get yourself one.

browner89

You'll never make it to max progression without knowing your rights in this company, you'll be kicked out the door not having a clue why.

Read it, even if you're a part timer.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Don't worry rookie, you won't make your 30 day progression under any on road with a brain.

And if you magically do, you'll be that guy that cuts corners and gets in an accident or injury and gets fired permanently.

But hey keep thinking you're going to be a rockstar at ups and not even read up on how it works.

Like I said, you're such a tool that it's so bad that you make me like Dave's posts in this thread.

That's really bad.