Stairs

UPSmeoff

One of my customers recieved 15 boxes of matchbooks that weighed about 30 pounds each. The restraunt mgr said that they go up on the 3rd floor, i asked where the elevator was, the mgr said they didnt have one. These are very narrow, uneven, and twisty stairs...a handtruck would not work.

Would you take them up or not?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would have delivered them to the location that you normally deliver to. We offer "door to door" service. You are not on their payroll to put up stock. While its great to try to do a good job, don't let them take advantage of you. I'll bet you didn't see USPS, Fedex, or DHL in that stairwell!

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
Agreed with others.
I've had some medical places try and tell me to put office supplies here
and medical supplies there.. (its all on my cart) while I try to
be accomodating I will not split the load off the cart. Nor will
I try to determine what is in each box.. what happens if
I put some crucial medical supply in the office supply spot? right.

Stick to the plan, regular location every time..

I've even said I'm not a stock boy... ;)

wornoutupser

I have to agree.

I used to deliver a Super Wallyworld. They tried the the same thing- this goes up front, you have to take that to payroll, that must be delivered to the manager's office. I smiled and told them that the manager could come see me at the dock!

UPSmeoff

I did not take the pkgs up the stairs even though i had been up there before to get a sig. I felt it was a safety issue on my part, 15 trips up and down is no good on the back or knees.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
beatupbrown said:
Tell them it is a liability issue you can not go inside .
Thats what I tell them especially resis. I tell them if I go up or down the stairs, then I am going against policy, then If I get hurt I am not covered, so I would have to sue them. That usually ends that conversation.
Unless it is someone who truly needs something put out of their way, like elderly or disabled. And fat and lazy isnt a disability.

DS

Fenderbender
Know whats the worst? People that move using ups.It always seems to be people that live on the 3rd floor no elevator.A lot cheaper that renting a truck and 2 men.

InTheRed

I always bring it to the "normal" spot. A good laugh I had recently was at a BJ's wholesale club temporary office. As they build the store, they have a satellite office where they sell their memberships and hire their employees. Well, I had about 25 boxes about 30 pounds each, and I went inside to verify they were for the office as there was an address and a person's name, but not a business name.

The lady receptionist verified that they were for them, but when I asked for a smidgen of help (inferring but not naming opening some doors, possibly just handing a box or two through the handtruck so I didn't have to climb over them in the cab) she insisted she could not help me because she was a woman (yes, those were her exact words). When I started bringing them inside, she insisted they must be brought to the back. I again said I would be happy to help her if she would help me (you know, one hand washes the other) and she again insisted that she is a woman and cannot help. So I told her that I am not on BJ's payroll and put them all inside by the front door.

UPSmeoff

One driver i knew used to deliver to these apts. that had 4 floors and no elevators. If he had a dell system or something he would always go up to the apt. and say "I got good news and bad news" "the good news is your computer is here, the bad news is that you have to come and get it"
It was mostly young college kids that lived there so he rarely got turned down.

ups_vette

If I were that restaurant manager and you refused to put them where I asked, I would have waited till you had brought all 15 30 pound package inside, and then refuse them, telling you to take all of them back to your truck and fight them the rest of your day..

I would then call the shipper, re-order, and insist they be shipped FedEx.

UPSmeoff

ups_vette said:
If I were that restaurant manager and you refused to put them where I asked,
I would have waited till you had brought all 15 30 pound package inside, and then refuse them, telling you to take all of them back to your truck and fight them the rest of your day..

I would then call the shipper, re-order, and insist they be shipped FedEx.
Ouch....you really mean business dont you vette. Are you a driver?

30andout

It was good service in the old days, but UPS pushes us on time a lot more now we just don't have the time to give the good old service.

xracer

I have to agree with Vette on this one, all we have left is service to gain and maintain the customers. I have a particular stop on my route that receives numerous cases of paper on regular basis and I carry them up the two flights of stairs to their office without a complaint and always a smile. They had received their paper via Fed Ex for awhile but the driver refused to bring it up the stairs and left it at the bottom, as a result of this they then insisted that their office supplies and for that matter all items that they recieve be shipped through UPS only and the Fed Ex guy never stops there anymore. In my opinion going the extra mile for a good customer can be more effective than a sales lead in many circumstances. I am not saying that you have to do this sort of service for every customer you deal with, as some will ask you to do things just because they are lazy, but most drivers can tell whether a customer is taking advantage of them or not. As far as not having the time to give proper service because of the time constraints put upon us all I have to say is who cares, I take care of my customers long before I worry about the ridiculous standards that are expected of us, if I run an hour or more paid over but my customers are left satisfied I can live with that. JMHO