Starting UPS soon as PT Package handler

Mr.DLG

So I applied to UPS a few days ago, currently went in for a interview today and agreed to come in for a tour of the facility later tonight. I was asked if I could lift 70lbs I wasn't sure if I could cause I'm a skinny guy but I'm willing to give my it a shot and do my best lol. If I cant lift 70lbs by myself is it alright for me to ask for help? and I was wondering whats it like working for UPS in general for those current/previous package handlers

thanks in advance :)

Satuirus2000

So I applied to UPS a few days ago, currently went in for a interview today and agreed to come in for a tour of the facility later tonight. I was asked if I could lift 70lbs I wasn't sure if I could cause I'm a skinny guy but I'm willing to give my it a shot and do my best lol. If I cant lift 70lbs by myself is it alright for me to ask for help? and I was wondering whats it like working for UPS in general for those current/previous package handlers

Yes you can ask for help. And as a matter fact, no matter how much something weighs (i.e 23 lbs, 30lbs, or whatever) if you feel like you can't handle a package and need assistance, ALWAYS ask for help. You'll be fine. Heavy packages come through the system everyday, many over 70lbs. You're not going to get into trouble if you can't lift them by yourself. If you can handle it solo, great. If not, again, always ask for help. Management always preaches safety first, however sometimes they let that fall by the wayside. You can't depend on them to look after your best interest all the time. Only you can do that. So please know your limits and speak up if you need help. The type of injuries you can get for trying to be macho just aren't worth it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Yes, you can ask for help...but seriously, a guy can't move 70 lbs? Hold my midol bottle, and I'll show you how it's done.

PT Car Washer

I have found that a lot of time the bulkier guys are a bit too slow for the job. The skinny wirily guys and gals with a lot of heart seem to do best. Look around the hub and you will see what I mean.

Needle Ran

They ask you that question, because if you can't then they will not hire you.
Thing is they hire tons of women, and I know full fact that most of them don't workout enough to lift 70lbs no sweat without help.

I think most people just say they do to get hired and worry about it after the fact.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I have found that a lot of time the bulkier guys are a bit too slow for the job. The skinny wirily guys and gals with a lot of heart seem to do best. Look around the hub and you will see what I mean.
This was true for me. 6'4 and skinny, so they stuck me in the only spot with five trucks, considered by all to be the hardest in the building. When I'm off, they have two guys handle it.
The best advice I can give is to write the HIN number on the box as you load it on the shelf. It will help you keep things organized, and will go a long way to giving your drivers a good day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a new preloader and so far he is doing a very good job. The only complaint that I have is that he pulls the PAL and puts it on the end of the package. While this may help him it does nothing for me as I don't use the PAL; in fact, there have been times when his pulling of the PAL has rendered the barcode unscannable.

vowl

up late
I'm only 135lbs at 5'11" and 70lbs is not so hard. I ask for help at the 90-200lb packages. And I know that we aren't supposed to be shipping 200 plus lb packages.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I have a new preloader and so far he is doing a very good job. The only complaint that I have is that he pulls the PAL and puts it on the end of the package. While this may help him it does nothing for me as I don't use the PAL; in fact, there have been times when his pulling of the PAL has rendered the barcode unscannable.
Why don't you use the PAL? Why?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why don't you use the PAL? Why?
We deliver to addresses, not pal numbers. If you say to me that I have a package and its pal number is 6034, I will give you a blank stare. If you say I have a package for 123 Maple St. then it will make sense. The pal numbers change dailey but an address is permanent.

J

jibbs

We deliver to addresses, not pal numbers. If you say to me that I have a package and its pal number is 6034, I will give you a blank stare. If you say I have a package for 123 Maple St. then it will make sense. The pal numbers change dailey but an address is permanent.

On the flip side of that coin, if a driver asks the average loader where one package for 123 Maple St. is, they'll give you a blank stare and ask you if you know the PAL number.

So yeah... Sure, we could all check the address of every package we touch to compare with the PAL, but then I don't think you drivers'd be able to leave the building anywhere near on time in the morning.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I often do this if the PAL is loose. It's just a bit faster sometimes.
And as a driver, I understand the drivers couldn't care less about the PAL. These are just methods I use to create a good load.