Starting Wages -- What should they be for new Contract?

RealPerson

So, when I started, pay was almost double min wage. This was a time that there were almost no new hires and the quality of the workers seemed to be a lot better. We had a 5-7 year wait to be a driver, and only a few seasonal people were kept, since no spots ever opened up. A few other factors were insurance in 90 days and so on, BUT.

With Fed min wage staying low --- $7 ish double min wage would be $14-$15

Many places are hiring at or around that wage now. Target just announced $11 to start $15 by 2020. $1.25 ish a year raise...

Sure these companies are hiring only Part time so they do not have to pay insurance, but almost the same here. New hires have to wait a year to get insurance and 18 months for family...
Up side of high turnover is, someone can go driving now in about 6 months to a year also.

I also feel we are going to get shafted on insurance, and everyone will fall for the ---- Well insurance keeps going up, we should have to pay some....

With all this in mind, I don't think offering a starting wage of $14 - $15 an hour and possibly giving something back in return, is a "win" for the union, as this will prob be Min wage federally by the end of the contract anyway.

What do you all think?

rudy5150

Why do you think we are going to get shafted on insurance? Many part timers stay only for the insurance, if you made them pay for a portion of it most would quit. $14-15 an hour is nothing if they have to pay a portion of benefits.

Nike

You guys are trippin lol.
If we give up insurance or fail to raise wages UPS will have a hard time gaining new employees and keeping the ones we have.

km3

With all this in mind, I don't think offering a starting wage of $14 - $15 an hour and possibly giving something back in return, is a "win" for the union, as this will prob be Min wage federally by the end of the contract anyway.

Both sides want higher starting wages for PTers. The company is trying to get something back in exchange, however. That's why I believe the union should stay silent about PT wages during the negotiations. Put the ball in UPS' court and play a game of chicken, with the worst case scenario being that wages stay the same.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Both sides want higher starting wages for PTers. The company is trying to get something back in exchange, however. That's why I believe the union should stay silent about PT wages during the negotiations. Put the ball in UPS' court and play a game of chicken, with the worst case scenario being that wages stay the same.
I want $10 more an hour.

Lt. Aldo Raine

Sound good?
Medical dental vision prescriptions after 90 days and 13 dollars an hour. Each year of the contract new hires get a dollar ten an hour. The employees hired in the five years preceding the new contract get a dollar an hour bump on the first day of the contract as well as a dollar and fifty cents an hour each year of the contract. The full timers get sixty cents an hour for each year of the contract with a more attainable formula for a cost of living raise in there somewhere.

RealPerson

Why do you think we are going to get shafted on insurance? Many part timers stay only for the insurance, if you made them pay for a portion of it most would quit. $14-15 an hour is nothing if they have to pay a portion of benefits.
We actually have to start paying this last year. I believe a $300 Deductible starts the last year of health insurance? Then you have the $1,000 max out of pocket, plus the co pays.. Honestly I look for the deductible to go up, plus the co pays, maybe Max out of pocket... Plus I believe they will offer a FREE lower plan, but offer better plans for a smal monthly fee as well... Just my predictions...

RealPerson

You guys are trippin lol.
If we give up insurance or fail to raise wages UPS will have a hard time gaining new employees and keeping the ones we have.
Already do... We have so many people come for the tour each week, to have a few new hires, that most leave at break...
Gives the Supervisors an excuse to work.

RealPerson

Does Target give you guaranteed raises each year?
Usually, Yes.
At starting at $15 in 2020, does the easy job of Target need a raise??? Walmart and other retailers will follow. Just as when Walmart started with the starting wage war, most others followed.
Retail tends to give 3% yearly raise..

EasyMoneySonny

I think the Union should take future & curent minimum wage into consideration.

Preloading is not a minimum wage job to begin with.
In California minimum wage is 10.50, as of now that is.
By January it will $11.
That'll be leaving me a miserable $.50 higher pay rate than that of minimum wage, which is just total BS.
I beleive all PT's should be getting anywhere from $2-4 more above whatever the minimum wage in the state is.

In addition to that, all raises aquired through seniority should be added as well.
Otherwise, what's the point of getting a $.50 raise on your seniroty date. and then the law requiring everyone to make $.50 more in january. It just doesn't make sense.

Union has to make PT's pay $2-4 more above any minium wage, and if you combine this with a raise that beats the one of the yearly state required raise, no one will feel that their anniversay/union raises are useless. As a a result, that $15/h by 2020 goal won't have much effect on UPSers since PT's will be earning more than minimum wage and will be happy.

/end of rant

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
15 at minimum. We shouldnt budge an inch from that. The support of full timers is there, the part timers are starting to organize on it, and UPS cant afford a strike so this should be the strongest contract ever. Anything less is a sell out!
Vote this up as optimistic if you wish, but you know im right!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
lock the inside wage rate to double the fed minimum wage right now, automatically raised to keep pace with inflation

lock the FSP wage rates where they are, though pace with inflation

basic medical only for insiders, full benefits for drivers

give a little take a little, i think it would be fair enough to make things work but not destroy profits

Box Ox

15 at minimum. We shouldnt budge an inch from that. The support of full timers is there, the part timers are starting to organize on it, and UPS cant afford a strike so this should be the strongest contract ever. Anything less is a sell out!
Vote this up as optimistic if you wish, but you know im right!

I think the Company will make PTers a hell of an offer to get them to get up and vote for things drivers wouldn’t like. PVDs, longer FT progression, ORION/telematics discipline, two-tier FT wage, etc.

Most PTers these days give a big fat NOPE to going FT after seeing/hearing what a typical FT day/life is like anyway. UPS will probably even prod the union to get more part timers to vote.