Starting Wages -- What should they be for new Contract?

Future

Victory Ride
They should slash the hourly wage of all counter jobs when they have nothing better to do than raise cats.
9C625EE8-42EF-49C4-84DA-69A6EBD6409F.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am thinking ~14/hr starting pay would be realistic. Maybe $13.50, $14.50 sort/preload/ "skilled" pay. If you are part-time and work 4 years at UPS, you shouldn't be making less than 17/hr.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I have lost count of how many times I have suggested the per diem option to our BA.

I absolutely am not in favor or a FedEx Express style of wages------same job, same wage, regardless of where you live.
If they dont get bens then should the hourly wage be 30? Ive heard many times that is roughly what UPS part timers cost per hour. hall even said it in the debate. If the wage is less than 30 it would be a win for UPS.

Hoping at least $15/hr. Amazon opened up a warehouse here and hired several thousand employees and a PT warehouse associate there makes $12.50 starting and $16/hr if they work on weekends plus I think can get benefits after 90 days (vs. the $10.30/hr starting we are getting at our hub and 1 year wait on bennies). If UPS wants to stay competitive with other employers and keep good employees they're gonna have to up their game. I know a few I work with now have talked about applying at Amazon.

CoolStoryBro

let UPS set whatever starting wage they want. doesn't need to be contractually obligated.
In regards to drivers skipping raises during the next contract? I will vote no on any contract that does not have at least 2% per year raise for drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

let UPS set whatever starting wage they want. doesn't need to be contractually obligated.
In regards to drivers skipping raises during the next contract? I will vote no on any contract that does not have at least 2% per year raise for drivers.

So you want a 10% overall raise? (2% * 5)

It is to focus on the PTers (and retirees):)

CoolStoryBro

So you want a 10% overall raise? (2% * 5)

It is to focus on the PTers (and retirees):)

I want 2% per year minimum raise. compounded that.s 10.4% over 5 years. 2% maintains what we have. Not interested in going backward.

Starting wage for part timers should be different in each region. Set a minimum in the contract and in big cities UPS can choose to pay more.

CoolStoryBro

Why should they pay more for the same job?

Supply and demand. If you cannot get part timers then they have to raise the wage. No need to pay all part timers 15+ an hour to start. But in some place it may be necessary to attract anyone.

And where I'm at drivers do not make outstanding wages. Oil refinery wage is average 115k per year here (5 oil refineries within an hour from me). Journeyman laborer out of the laborers union is 34$ an hour. Other union trades are close to us. I don't want to go backward. Maybe in some area where someone can buy a house cheap then they don't need to make 36$ an hour. Hard to find a nice house under 500k around here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Supply and demand. If you cannot get part timers then they have to raise the wage. No need to pay all part timers 15+ an hour to start. But in some place it may be necessary to attract anyone.

And where I'm at drivers do not make outstanding wages. Oil refinery wage is average 115k per year here (5 oil refineries within an hour from me). Journeyman laborer out of the laborers union is 34$ an hour. Other union trades are close to us. I don't want to go backward. Maybe in some area where someone can buy a house cheap then they don't need to make 36$ an hour. Hard to find a nice house under 500k around here.

Move?

I'm happy. I'm one of the lucky ones who got in cheap when the market crashed. I'm living well.

My point is that drivers need not give anything up. Increasing part timer starting wage does not have to impact driver wages at all.
True that. Drivers have very different standards then insiders. We earn our money with blood and sweat under pressure of allowance and telematics.