Starting Wages -- What should they be for new Contract?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I think the Company will make PTers a hell of an offer to get them to get up and vote for things drivers wouldn’t like. PVDs, longer FT progression, ORION/telematics discipline, two-tier FT wage, etc.

Most PTers these days give a big fat NOPE to going FT after seeing/hearing what a typical FT day/life is like anyway. UPS will probably even prod the union to get more part timers to vote.
Unite thy Brothers! But seriously I would be suprised to see an overturning number of votes come from PT. Most are under a year in and still have no clue about union issues.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
lock the inside wage rate to double the fed minimum wage right now, automatically raised to keep pace with inflation

lock the FSP wage rates where they are, though pace with inflation

basic medical only for insiders, full benefits for drivers

give a little take a little, i think it would be fair enough to make things work but not destroy profits
Not sure... the job is so horrible most would quit if it wasnt for the insurance. And the pt raise isnt really taking it would just be catching up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

15 at minimum. We shouldnt budge an inch from that. The support of full timers is there, the part timers are starting to organize on it, and UPS cant afford a strike so this should be the strongest contract ever. Anything less is a sell out!
Vote this up as optimistic if you wish, but you know im right!

There is not a single FTer who would strike solely over PT wages.

brown_trousers

current part-timers are already angry that after working for years, new hires start out making the same as they do. Would we give raises to all part timers, or just new hires?

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Target dc started me out at 18.93 as a mheo, but the center was run poorly. Alot of us moved on and shortly after Target fired the entire management staff.

A

Article 3

Both sides want higher starting wages for PTers. The company is trying to get something back in exchange, however. That's why I believe the union should stay silent about PT wages during the negotiations. Put the ball in UPS' court and play a game of chicken, with the worst case scenario being that wages stay the same.
Best scenario posted.
I hope it's already in the plan.

clean hairy

If the company is willing to pay pvd drivers amost 19 bux an hour to start, why not pay the same to new hires?
And bring all existing employees up to 19 an hour, or more based on years of service.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
PT's who hope to go FT won't want longer progression. Only people who would be willing to give on progression are the ones who've already been through it. If it takes 5 or more years to go FT and another 6 years to start making real money, they will start losing potential drivers to the trades where people can make 75k to 150k after just 2 to 4 years.

brownIEman

If the company is willing to pay pvd drivers amost 19 bux an hour to start, why not pay the same to new hires?
And bring all existing employees up to 19 an hour, or more based on years of service.

From a management perspective I'm willing to bet if inside employees could magically bring in their own sorting facilities complete with belts, slides, box lines etc. and provide the power to run them UPS would be more than happy to pay them as you suggest.

Dritalin

I think it's actually the union that has the leverage here. UPS is desperate to get the starting wage higher, but the union uses the Part Timer's to subsidize the FT bennies. For example how many PT people stick around for five years to vest in the pension? There are more single PTer's than FTers who have families to insure, etc. So the union would rather keep wages low so more of that money is diverted to it's longer/more loyal members. I don't think the union has to really budge an inch. Just keep the same bennies for part time, and leave it on UPS to decide to concede a higher wage. Expect something around the range of $12/hr. I'd be very surprised to see it any higher than that.

Snack

I've been a part-timer for two years now. Hoping to go full-time in 2018. Higher starting wages along with a longer progression would be a kick in the nuts for me.