Starting Wages -- What should they be for new Contract?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I've been a part-timer for two years now. Hoping to go full-time in 2018. Higher starting wages along with a longer progression would be a kick in the nuts for me.
The progression is too long as it is. If I were a new driver and they extend it more than 4 years, I would be livid. I already think 4 years is bull:censored2:!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think it's actually the union that has the leverage here. UPS is desperate to get the starting wage higher, but the union uses the Part Timer's to subsidize the FT bennies. For example how many PT people stick around for five years to vest in the pension? There are more single PTer's than FTers who have families to insure, etc. So the union would rather keep wages low so more of that money is diverted to it's longer/more loyal members. I don't think the union has to really budge an inch. Just keep the same bennies for part time, and leave it on UPS to decide to concede a higher wage. Expect something around the range of $12/hr. I'd be very surprised to see it any higher than that.
I'd drop over dead if they ended up being 12 bucks to start...I wouldn't believe it..

Dritalin

I'd drop over dead if they ended up being 12 bucks to start...I wouldn't believe it..

In my area we are building a new hub next year with 1,500 new employees, but Amazon is also building a new fulfillment center here looking for about the same amount. They are starting at $12.50

I'm not sure what it's like in other places, but here we are soooo :censored2:ed retention wise for the sorts. They have been giving everyone who has started June or later a $150/week bonus for three months now and it will last through peak.

brown_trousers

higher starting wages just screws over our existing part timers. Id rather see a contract with bigger raises for existing part-timers, as opposed to higher starting wages

Mrunderdog

When I started back in 1987 I Made $9 per hour, that was 30 years ago, I left UPS back in 1992 and it's a shame that the starting pay is lower that it was 30 years ago. I hope this improves drastically in the upcoming contract as well as the total pay structure getting higher for all Rank and file.

rudy5150

Rumor is wage freeze for full timers coming for the length of next contract. I guess this is the only way they can increase new hires starting wage and include a catch up raises for current part timers.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Rumor is wage freeze for full timers coming for the length of next contract. I guess this is the only way they can increase new hires starting wage and include a catch up raises for current part timers.
I would be fine with top rate freezing for a contract so they can compensate the part timers better.

UPS Preloader

Already do... We have so many people come for the tour each week, to have a few new hires, that most leave at break...
Gives the Supervisors an excuse to work.

Also give UPS an excuse to claim they need to automate. Sometime I think corporate is intentionally trying to get new hires not to stay. When they can’t hire enough people to do the job, they’ll claim they have to automate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also give UPS an excuse to claim they need to automate. Sometime I think corporate is intentionally trying to get new hires not to stay. When they can’t hire enough people to do the job, they’ll claim they have to automate.

If you had to guess, what would you think would be the single largest expense for the average company, regardless of size? The answer would be labor.

Automation requires a (substantial) one time investment which is depreciated over time.

Labor requires an ever increasing investment.

Lower your operating expenses and your profits will increase (assuming all other costs remain constant).

UPS would automate if they were paying us $10/hr or $40/hr.

A

Article 3

If you had to guess, what would you think would be the single largest expense for the average company, regardless of size? The answer would be labor.

Automation requires a (substantial) one time investment which is depreciated over time.

Labor requires an ever increasing investment.

Lower your operating expenses and your profits will increase (assuming all other costs remain constant).

UPS would automate if they were paying us $10/hr or $40/hr.
They've been automating for years and will continue to ramp it up.
They were looking at a platform that raises feeder trailers and then it shakes the pkgs out onto a wide belt....if it was a whole load of bags or other compatible freight.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The solution is far simpler then you realize. First off offer PT’s a per diem option....in other words higher wages for no benefits. A lot of them are college kids on parents medical just looking for a paycheck. Secondly they need to look at adjusting wages to the cost of living. You want me to care about your fledgling pensions but you can’t see that it costs far more to live some areas compared to others.

TheFigurehead

Eh... they completed the shift to an automated sort at my center last year. It takes as many, if not more, employees as it did before they eliminated the sort aisle. I don't have the numbers, but we certainly didn't lose any employees, and I'd be willing to bet we have more now than we did before... and volume is about the same (the auto sort is amazingly slow).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The solution is far simpler then you realize. First off offer PT’s a per diem option....in other words higher wages for no benefits. A lot of them are college kids on parents medical just looking for a paycheck. Secondly they need to look at adjusting wages to the cost of living. You want me to care about your fledgling pensions but you can’t see that it costs far more to live some areas compared to others.

I have lost count of how many times I have suggested the per diem option to our BA.

I absolutely am not in favor or a FedEx Express style of wages------same job, same wage, regardless of where you live.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't have a problem with keeping the starting wage low to begin but once someone qualifies and shows they can do the job it needs to go up. Maybe keep part-time wages the same until qualified then jump to $12 an hour then another $2 at one year and contractual raises after that.

I do think insurance should be like it used to be. Maybe allow employees to opt into either insurance or a better tuition reimbursement plan after 3 months. I know a lot of guys who were like me and hired in initially for the benefits.

lilwendy8

I work as part time unloader at 10.50 an hour . Been there since june of 2016. Went to integrad in duluth . Made it till thurs and got sent home. Cant undèrstand the pay scale. They say unloading in local sort isnt "SKILLED " so after senority date 8-8-17 my pay went from 10.20 to 10.50. It takes a whole lotta skill to unload at the pace they require. So many boxes per min. Im trying to get to a shifter and car wash position. My center is small. With only 20 people max at nite. But i really feel they taking advantage as senority dont mean :censored2:. And my pay sucks .i work my ass off. Already had a broke finger and toe . And dont file workees comp caz they screwed me real good as i only received a 1.00$ check from liberty mutual for the 2 weeks i was on twa. So screwed up. Union said they dont deal with wc. Well wtf. Cant win.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I work as part time unloader at 10.50 an hour . Been there since june of 2016. Went to integrad in duluth . Made it till thurs and got sent home. Cant undèrstand the pay scale. They say unloading in local sort isnt "SKILLED " so after senority date 8-8-17 my pay went from 10.20 to 10.50. It takes a whole lotta skill to unload at the pace they require. So many boxes per min. Im trying to get to a shifter and car wash position. My center is small. With only 20 people max at nite. But i really feel they taking advantage as senority dont mean :censored2:. And my pay sucks .i work my ass off. Already had a broke finger and toe . And dont file workees comp caz they screwed me real good as i only received a 1.00$ check from liberty mutual for the 2 weeks i was on twa. So screwed up. Union said they dont deal with wc. Well wtf. Cant win.

How come you got kicked out of integrad ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

How come you got kicked out of integrad ?

If this is a real post.... I weep for our country.

How many UPS people, make excuses for the action of their offspring ?