States begin process of neutering Obamacare

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not sure either. :devil3:

Sometimes, accepting the system "as is" and a given is probably just easier.
Suggesting that it could be different without showing a single instance in which it is different isn't much different than accepting things "as is". But if it makes you feel better...:)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
A big health insurer is planning to punish patients for 'unnecessary' ER visits

Anthem is the nation’s second-largest health insurer, with thousands of medical professionals on its payroll. Yet its Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia subsidiary has just informed its members that if they show up at the emergency room with a problem that later is deemed to have not been an emergency, their claim won’t be paid.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, the only insurer offering individual insurance plans in 96 of the state’s 159 counties, sent letters to its enrollees in late May stating that it would refuse to cover non-emergency ER visits starting July 1. It defined inappropriate visits as any but those that “a prudent layperson, possessing an average knowledge of medicine and health,” would believe needed immediate treatment. It hoped to encourage patients with non-emergency conditions to seek help instead at an urgent care clinic or a doctor’s offic

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A big health insurer is planning to punish patients for 'unnecessary' ER visits

Anthem is the nation’s second-largest health insurer, with thousands of medical professionals on its payroll. Yet its Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia subsidiary has just informed its members that if they show up at the emergency room with a problem that later is deemed to have not been an emergency, their claim won’t be paid.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, the only insurer offering individual insurance plans in 96 of the state’s 159 counties, sent letters to its enrollees in late May stating that it would refuse to cover non-emergency ER visits starting July 1. It defined inappropriate visits as any but those that “a prudent layperson, possessing an average knowledge of medicine and health,” would believe needed immediate treatment. It hoped to encourage patients with non-emergency conditions to seek help instead at an urgent care clinic or a doctor’s offic

Our Teamster healthcare plan in essence did the same thing by slapping a $100 co-pay on ER visits as opposed to $10 for doctor's office visits.

MAKAVELI

I tell my employees similar things as well. Go to urgent care if you think you are hurt, not the ER.
The problem with that is not every area has access to 24 hour Urgent Care and some seemingly minor issues can often be more serious and require immediate attention.

BrownArmy

I mean, let's be honest, if you don't have insurance etc. then just die.

That's the plan, right?

I like the new budget plan that cuts Medicare - so, the elderly and children will be docked, which makes little sense to me.

If, by several Republicons ideas, you have 'insurance' if you go to the emergency room, what that essentially means is that we're removing preventative coverage for millions of Americans, which means what we save on the front end, we'll pay 10X on the back end.

Nice plan.

Just like UPS: spend a silver-dollar to save a dime.

BrownArmy

NO,
If you don't have insurance, save enough money up to go to the doctor on your own especially if you are younger than 50.

Clearly you've not spent much time in the 'uninsured' market.

"No, I don't have insurance, but thanks for the $1200 bill for a routine checkup."

Cheers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Clearly you've not spent much time in the 'uninsured' market.

"No, I don't have insurance, but thanks for the $1200 bill for a routine checkup."

Cheers.
The discussion, I thought, was about Emergency Room visits.
I have not spent time in the uninsured market but I have had some experience in the 'self-pay' market.

Last edited:

BrownArmy

I have spent not time in the uninsured market but I have had some experience in the 'self-pay' market.

You quoted me, initially, and I was trying to make a larger point about the fallacy of cutting 'government-aid'...

People think we'll save money on the front-end, but we pay 10x on the back end!

BrownArmy

I have spent not time in the uninsured market but I have had some experience in the 'self-pay' market.

There's a 'John Wayne' aspect to the American Id.

We're fine, we'll take care of ourselves, leave us alone, we're bad-ass.

That's great when you're conquering the lands west of the Mississippi, but that was hundreds of years ago.

Those people that participated in the 'go-west-young-man' frenzy died in droves for the lack of simple medicines I can buy over-the-counter at CVS.

Now it's 2017, and we're plagued by insane drug prices due to BIG-PHARMA Lobbyists, complete governmental inaction, insanity due to Obama (and Clinton before) trying to change things...

Total. friend'kg. Nut-job.

We're the wealthiest country in the world, and, seemingly, we can't supply our Citizens with simple things like...

Well, you get my point.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We're the wealthiest country in the world, and, seemingly, we can't supply our Citizens with simple things like...

We are a nation with the greatest number of wealthy individuals in the world.

The reason for that is we reward the motivated money-makers and the savers even more.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You quoted me, initially, and I was trying to make a larger point about the fallacy of cutting 'government-aid'...

People think we'll save money on the front-end, but we pay 10x on the back end!
I was just pointing out that I have no experience in the 'no insurance' world and therefore I have no assurance of what beliefs I do have.