Station closing

NC man

On FedEx employee fb psge

Well our station got notice this morning, we are moving into the new ground facility February 1. 117 routes ( am and pm ) total but only 19 couriers to do FO, and to help Ground with P1 until they are more up to speed. Unbelieveable !

bacha29

Well our station got notice this morning, we are moving into the new ground facility February 1. 117 routes ( am and pm ) total but only 19 couriers to do FO, and to help Ground with P1 until they are more up to speed. Unbelieveable !
So there you have it 19 "survivors" for the lack of a better description will go over to the Ground terminal and teach the Ground grunts how to do the job and if they succeed and that is by no means a certainty those 19 will then be taken out of the building like bags of garbage and disposed of.
And of course if they refuse to go along with this request from a grateful Fedex Corp , their unemployment claim will be contested and any severance pay will be forfeited.
But that's the state of American business in the 21st century. You're there until someone willing to do the job for less right after you train them is procured or the job is eliminated altogether.

MassWineGuy

I’d still say that I won’t do this, get fired and have a hearing with unemployment. Just explain that what they offered would have provided substantially less income than you were making. You could not get by on that amount. Get a free consult from a lawyer who specializes in this stuff.

vantexan

So there you have it 19 "survivors" for the lack of a better description will go over to the Ground terminal and teach the Ground grunts how to do the job and if they succeed and that is by no means a certainty those 19 will then be taken out of the building like bags of garbage and disposed of.
And of course if they refuse to go along with this request from a grateful Fedex Corp , their unemployment claim will be contested and any severance pay will be forfeited.
But that's the state of American business in the 21st century. You're there until someone willing to do the job for less right after you train them is procured or the job is eliminated altogether.
You misunderstood what he said I believe. 117 routes are going over but only 19 routes will be doing First Overnight deliveries.

vantexan

Could you clarify that? Are they getting rid of 98 routes? Who is doing P2 and pups, Ground?

fedx

Extra Large Package

You don't have to take that job. Your job was eliminated or transferred to a private contractor. You no longer work for FedEx Express, so you can get your severance and unemployment. If one was smart, they would take the severance and unemployment for the max time and then if you can't find a job, then go work at Ground. But I'm sure you could find something much better and not have to make Ground an option when your unemployment runs out. I would not opt out of the severance to go work at Ground. You could lose your job at Ground next week and then you'd be out of both your severance and a job.

Gone fishin

You don't have to take that job. Your job was eliminated or transferred to a private contractor. You no longer work for FedEx Express, so you can get your severance and unemployment. If one was smart, they would take the severance and unemployment for the max time and then if you can't find a job, then go work at Ground. But I'm sure you could find something much better and not have to make Ground an option when your unemployment runs out. I would not opt out of the severance to go work at Ground. You could lose your job at Ground next week and then you'd be out of both your severance and a job.
Severance and 6 months unemployment sounds wonderful. No ground

bacha29

Could you clarify that? Are they getting rid of 98 routes? Who is doing P2 and pups, Ground?
Reports I've read say that the other 98 have been told to find openings at other FDX Express operations similar to an employment version of musical chairs.

A short time ago an CNBC report stated that nearly the entire focus of companies in 2024 will be on profitability not topline growth. FDX seems to be following that pattern. Satisfied to fall back into a middle of the pack freight broker and labor lessee in order to satisfy demands for better returns made by institutional investors who hold large blocks of FDX stock and given global economic projections especially freight tonnage projections in response they're doing about the only thing they can do. It's how they're going about it is what has people shaking their heads.

Unfortunately, there would still appear to be some people still clinging to the belief that they are just too important for Fat Freddy to let them go. It's not that they were too important but it's just that they have become over time and in the eyes of Fat Freddy....simply too expensive. In fact he's doing what small and medium market MLB teams do every offseason....cutting payroll . They couldn't care less about winning the pennant....Dodgers and Yankees can fight over that...Their only focus is bottom line profitability.

MassWineGuy

Severance and 6 months unemployment sounds wonderful. No ground

Why not? The job you were hired for was eliminated and they wanted to offload you to ground; a completely different company and job.

Are the Express routes drivers they’re cutting being told or offered to work for Ground? Or just that there’s a comparable Express 75 miles away?

yadig

We have a large tv in the hallway and it was advertising for express drivers to give ground a chance if your station was closing.

Gone fishin

Why not? The job you were hired for was eliminated and they wanted to offload you to ground; a completely different company and job.

Are the Express routes drivers they’re cutting being told or offered to work for Ground? Or just that there’s a comparable Express 75 miles away?
If I keep pay and benefits sure , my stations hasn’t been told anything yet. I wouldn’t work for a contractor

vantexan

If I keep pay and benefits sure , my stations hasn’t been told anything yet. I wouldn’t work for a contractor
The problem is if they're determined to eliminate regular employees, how long after you transfer to another station will you have before they close that one too? Assuming you could land another station opening since a lot of people will be going after those openings.

bacha29

We have a large tv in the hallway and it was advertising for express drivers to give ground a chance if your station was closing.
By far the single greatest value displaced Express drivers have to offer and never forget it is their proven ability to work productively in one of if not the most increasingly hostile, culturally diverse and publicly scrutinized workplace environments in America.
Contrary to what others including Dano ( and nobody pays any attention to him anyway) claim not everyone can operate in that environment and for those who can it's takes a year before it becomes second nature,
Therefore, if a displaced Express driver is approached by a Ground contractor especially one who is very short handed (likely to be a lot of those) simply say...." Look this is what I made at Express. This is what I would be making 2 years from now under the step system. This is my healthcare, vacation and pension plan. And therefore these are my terms am I'm worth it".

Now if that contractor or his cannon fodder BC (Business Contact) is just standing there with that Buggs Bunny look on his face and his thumb stuck up a nontraditional bodily orifice you'll immediately know that all that's going to be there for you is an overly generous supply of lies and deceptions.....So you just turn around and walk away and for Christ's sake don't fall for one of those front loaded big cash up front deals which are almost always based on impossible stop totals while having nothing at the back end in the way of a much needed benefit plan.....You're worth way more than that so set your market not the contractor's .

Gone fishin

The problem is if they're determined to eliminate regular employees, how long after you transfer to another station will you have before they close that one too? Assuming you could land another station opening since a lot of people will be going after those openings.
I’m done if my station closes , I can retire. I’d like to work a few more years though

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Fake news, so of course it's treated as true here.