Stay at Ground, or go to Freight.

bubba209

Hey you guys
I have been at FedEx Ground for almost 10 years now. I finally got a offer from Freight to be a dock worker. The interview went good this week. The current salary that I make a fedex ground as a Package Handler is 17.85 in a hub PT benefits, pto. The dock worker position is 16.31 an hour PT, full benefits, 401k/retirement plan. That to me would be my reasoning of leaving ground, going to freight but Im stuck on what I wanna do. What would u guys do in this situation.

Hey you guys
I have been at FedEx Ground for almost 10 years now. I finally got a offer from Freight to be a dock worker. The interview went good this week. The current salary that I make a fedex ground as a Package Handler is 17.85 in a hub PT benefits, pto. The dock worker position is 16.31 an hour PT, full benefits, 401k/retirement plan. That to me would be my reasoning of leaving ground, going to freight but Im stuck on what I wanna do. What would u guys do in this situation.
Maybe it's a little less per hour but you will be getting more hours and benefits

No brainier.

Last edited:

mxblue

No question, freight dock is easy money. Sure, there will be some awkward hand freight you'll need to move, but it's nowhere close to moving small package all night. You'll top out around $19.xx in a year. Do a good job and get into the driver development program. Enjoy the safety bbq's. ;-)

Definitely go to Freight. I don't hear too many good things about express or ground but at Freight the job is easy. At my terminal in CA we top out at $25 an hour as a FT dock worker. There are many opportunities to become a hostler or a backup supervisor almost immediately if you show interest. Our driver apprentice program starts at $22 and we need so many drivers we hire off the street.

I've loved my time as a dock worker and I've done basically everything on the dock except drive the trucks.

Good pay, good benefits, lots of overtime. Well worth it. I don't have a negative thing to say.

bacha29

Definitely go to Freight. I don't hear too many good things about express or ground but at Freight the job is easy. At my terminal in CA we top out at $25 an hour as a FT dock worker. There are many opportunities to become a hostler or a backup supervisor almost immediately if you show interest. Our driver apprentice program starts at $22 and we need so many drivers we hire off the street.

I've loved my time as a dock worker and I've done basically everything on the dock except drive the trucks.

Good pay, good benefits, lots of overtime. Well worth it. I don't have a negative thing to say.
Question. I see that Custom Critical trucks are now also painted red and I'm hearing stories about the two becoming more closely aligned with one another.Now are you seeing any signs that would indicate Freight some time in the future becoming an owner operator model same as Custom Critical?

mxblue

CC is our sister company, they will soon be transitioning to the orange color scheme as is the rest of the FX fleet (FXF/FXG).

While not impossible, I don't see FXF transitioning to a O/OP model due to costs associated. It would take a very large investment to operate tractor trailers in a P&D operation as big as FXF.