Stealing company time.

1989NW

FT package driver here. Can the company consider using our phone for personal use while not clocked into a break as stealing company time? SUP did an observation on me and said he saw me several times use my phone for a couple minutes at a time. He told me that I am stealing company time and that I should be disciplined for it. He said the exact same thing about visiting with one of my customers for 5 min. Could I really get accused of stealing time for this?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
FT package driver here. Can the company consider using our phone for personal use while not clocked into a break as stealing company time? SUP did an observation on me and said he saw me several times use my phone for a couple minutes at a time. He told me that I am stealing company time and that I should be disciplined for it. He said the exact same thing about visiting with one of my customers for 5 min. Could I really get accused of stealing time for this?
Use hands free. And you can talk all day at work

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes, you could get accused of stealing time for this.

Usually these are bogus charges.

The widespread use of cell phones for a variety of things, including things that benefit UPS is so commonplace these charges are usually lame.

The charges are not always bogus though.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Good opportunity to pull the “ok, I’ll never use my phone on road again” line.
“Call the center”
“Sorry I don’t use my phone on road since I got in trouble for it”

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Oh yeah.

I was not talking on the phone.

Were you conversing with UPS ?

Yes, you could get accused of stealing time for this.

Usually these are bogus charges.

The widespread use of cell phones for a variety of things, including things that benefit UPS is so commonplace these charges are usually lame.

The charges are not always bogus though.

I will agree, that UPS has "conditioned" drivers to use their phone for

company business.... and that's the fault of the individual, for letting that happen.

The DIAD can communicate with UPS.

Including directions.... to the address of a mis-loaded pkg.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Indecisi0n

Yes you can be. There's a difference between making a call to a doctor or calling your Latin lover for some sex talk.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Several times using cell phone = if it was personal time, do the right thing and code out a break or some lunch

Visiting with one of my customers = UPS business you are good, shooting the breeze or personal time code it out.

Problem solved for you.

542thruNthru

I'm on my phone all the time while working. Hell I'm in it right now. I just got done watching space cowboys on Netflix.

Tell your sup to shut up and go back to the office and read Facebook where he belongs. ;)

Saca La

What is it?
I just got discharged for stealing time. I stopped by the gas station on my way to my first stop to get some ice and forgot to put in my 10 min break. He fired me for dishonesty and stealing time even though I told him the truth when he asked my where I went in the morning. Hopefully I get my job back.......

Rack em

Made the Podium
I just got discharged for stealing time. I stopped by the gas station on my way to my first stop to get some ice and forgot to put in my 10 min break. He fired me for dishonesty and stealing time even though I told him the truth when he asked my where I went in the morning. Hopefully I get my job back.......
Troll right?

Saca La

What is it?
Troll right?
No. Serious :censored2:. I knew he had it out for me. I already had a warning letter for no shaving. And he got me with the trip to the gas station. Thankfully the shop steward defended me with the other stuff he was trying to pin on for.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If they try to discipline you for making phone calls have your ba requisition the driver diad training for cell phone use. In the training it instructs the driver multiple times to get out of the traffic right of way and make your call(s). No where does it say for you to punch in a break. That being said, dont abuse it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You were following the company's training on staying hydrated....

Ghost in the Darkness

My secretary frequently does not answer the phone. Its a shame too because someone has to lift their chubby fingers and type out a message on the diad. Its a real inconvenience for all of us.