Step Pay Spread Sheet

MassWineGuy

The recent SFA was missing some questions it’s always had. Especially regarding pay. I didn’t give a total trashing by any means, but I had more disagrees than I’ve ever put down in past surveys. Certainly for “If offered the same pay/benefits at another job would you stay at FedEx?”

My manager, who’s never gotten less than 100, got around a 70. The questions don’t pertain to individual managers, but of course in FedEx style, they’re to blame.

Tars

The serious problem we have in Fedex Express right now is a clear lack of transparency. They're letting 15yr employees quit and switch to other jobs at my station, and could care less. There is no sense of direction, or commitment, so why would you not want to find another job? we're clearly just a number, and no your performance doesn't mean jack.

ExizFed

The serious problem we have in Fedex Express right now is a clear lack of transparency. They're letting 15yr employees quit and switch to other jobs at my station, and could care less. There is no sense of direction, or commitment, so why would you not want to find another job? we're clearly just a number, and no your performance doesn't mean jack.
I agree once this Estar crap rolls out or if it does FedEx keeps pushing back the start date my station is gonna lose a lot of senior couriers to retirement.

McFeely

Huge Member
I agree once this Estar crap rolls out or if it does FedEx keeps pushing back the start date my station is gonna lose a lot of senior couriers to retirement.

And that’s exactly what they want. Senior couriers cost too much. They think estar will solve everything and any monkey with a drivers license can do your job.

bacha29

Exactly, they don't need an excuse.
The reason is simple. There is no binding contractual description of what seniority is , when and how it is applied . In other words seniority is whatever management says it is at the moment what the circumstances are at the moment and can change by the moment. In other words it's a shape shifter that is constantly in motion.

!Retired!

Amen to that, one of the reasons I retired younger than planned.
I retired younger than planned also. Injuries was number one in the reasons. I asked my manager at one of our meetings 'FedEx is raising pay for new hires, is the company going to even TRY to get the more senior couriers to stay?' Obviously she couldn't say what the upper echelon will do, but I got my answer anyway.

Thankfully, my wife does well, otherwise I would have had no other choice but to stay.

On a side note....I was pleasantly surprised at the retirement package that not only I get, but my wife as well. Bet that's going away also, or at least reduced.

NC man

Yep,saw the writing on the wall so retired after 33 yrs. figured since I could then I better go ahead before they pull the RHPA $$. Of course that’s a carrot to entice retirement also I’m sure.

Aquaman

My manager let an 18 year RTD leave without even speaking to him. No exit interview. No “what could we have done?”…. Nothing. Just a “good luck” card on the clock in table for us to sign. He was pretty shocked managment didn’t even try to retain him. He was still $3.xx from top out. 18 years safe driving and one of our better drivers. Now they’re contracting his route and managment doesn’t want to bid his route. This place is unreal lol.

Tars

My manager let an 18 year RTD leave without even speaking to him. No exit interview. No “what could we have done?”…. Nothing. Just a “good luck” card on the clock in table for us to sign. He was pretty shocked managment didn’t even try to retain him. He was still $3.xx from top out. 18 years safe driving and one of our better drivers. Now they’re contracting his route and managment doesn’t want to bid his route. This place is unreal lol.
you got to wonder if they're positioning themselves to be bought out by Amazon or something. There is no question that their business model is broken. Look at our profit margins compared to UPS... lol, and they getting paid $40 an hour! Lets not talk about how I see like 3 Ground drivers in my area, its frustrating beyond belief. Management is making no effort to retain any of these veteran drivers/couriers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
you got to wonder if they're positioning themselves to be bought out by Amazon or something. There is no question that their business model is broken. Look at our profit margins compared to UPS... lol, and they getting paid $40 an hour! Lets not talk about how I see like 3 Ground drivers in my area, its frustrating beyond belief. Management is making no effort to retain any of these veteran drivers/couriers.
And I hope it bites them in the ass in a big, big way.

fdxsux

He must not have been paying attention the last 18 years if he was shocked management didn’t try to retain him.

Aquaman

And I hope it bites them in the ass in a big, big way.
The funny thing is our managers just got pretty bad SFA scores and we’re having meetings where they’re wondering why haha. Uhhh 1, direction of the company is top secret. 2, Letting senior employees quit no questions asked. 3, we’re all STILL underpaid. 4, contracting out our routes to third party. 5, refusing to bid open routes in favor of contractors. 6, WEAK attempts at hiring more drivers. 7, no meetings. 8, never ending rumors of route changes & cuts. 9, equipment is falling apart. 10, I’ve never even seen our senior…. Don’t know what he looks like lol.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Your manager didn’t do anything because there IS nothing he could’ve done. His hands are tied. He has no power over raises or routes. He is as much at the mercy of FedEx as any hourly. Anyone who believes differently is fooling themselves.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The funny thing is our managers just got pretty bad SFA scores and we’re having meetings where they’re wondering why haha. Uhhh 1, direction of the company is top secret. 2, Letting senior employees quit no questions asked. 3, we’re all STILL underpaid. 4, contracting out our routes to third party. 5, refusing to bid open routes in favor of contractors. 6, WEAK attempts at hiring more drivers. 7, no meetings. 8, never ending rumors of route changes & cuts. 9, equipment is falling apart. 10, I’ve never even seen our senior…. Don’t know what he looks like lol.
Management (if you want to them that) is pretty much just phoning it in these days.

And leadership? Non-existant.

McFeely

Huge Member
Your manager didn’t do anything because there IS nothing he could’ve done. His hands are tied. He has no power over raises or routes. He is as much at the mercy of FedEx as any hourly. Anyone who believes differently is fooling themselves.

I don’t disagree, but the onus is on management to bring issues (turnover, pay, hiring problems, etc.) to the upper management for evaluation.

If my management team isn’t being an advocate to help us gain and retain staff? Then don’t expect staff to stick around and you better understand that service will suffer as a result.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I don’t disagree, but the onus is on management to bring issues (turnover, pay, hiring problems, etc.) to the upper management for evaluation.

If my management team isn’t being an advocate to help us gain and retain staff? Then don’t expect staff to stick around and you better understand that service will suffer as a result.
Profit Margin is the only index that's important right now. The company is preening itself financially in order to attract its next owner.

Aquaman

Ops managers and senior managers are directly to blame for the pay issues at this company. They are their work groups voice. Too many managers were quiet for too long and it resulted in a 18 month top out progression becoming 20 years. Quiet scared lying managers let that happen.