Step Pay Spread Sheet

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ops managers and senior managers are directly to blame for the pay issues at this company. They are their work groups voice. Too many managers were quiet for too long and it resulted in a 18 month top out progression becoming 20 years. Quiet scared lying managers let that happen.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally, I don’t believe Ops managers or SMs have any power where that’s concerned. If the company ignores SFA results, why would you think they‘d listen to lower management?

McFeely

Huge Member
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally, I don’t believe Ops managers or SMs have any power where that’s concerned. If the company ignores SFA results, why would you think they‘d listen to lower management?

I would imagine they would listen when service levels are so poor that we lose customers. Both of these things are already happening in my area as a result of staffing at the hubs, ramps, and stations. Poor service leads to lost customers and shareholder disatisfaction, and management doesn't get their bonuses.

It is in management's best interest to keep employees happy. Common sense for us, but we all know this company comes to bad conclusions and makes some terrible decisions regardless.

I can say that I know an ops manager recently went to our MD with concerns regarding pay. Nothing has been done (yet?), but at least I know the issue has been brought up. Sadly, I don't think our Senior has the same respect for the employees. I would imagine he's just coasting to retirement based on how he acts towards us.

MassWineGuy

Pretty much all senior managers are like you describe. You don’t get there unless you are part company robot.

I don’t think enough customers have left to make a splash. If it happened in most regions and revenue was drying up, maybe someone would wake up in Memphis.

Aquaman

They have a direct line to the ones who have power. They bring it up once and drop it. Then tell their work group that their boss is working on something. That’s why the uppers won’t listen. It needs to be so annoying to them that they are forced to do something.

Aquaman

I would imagine they would listen when service levels are so poor that we lose customers. Both of these things are already happening in my area as a result of staffing at the hubs, ramps, and stations. Poor service leads to lost customers and shareholder disatisfaction, and management doesn't get their bonuses.

It is in management's best interest to keep employees happy. Common sense for us, but we all know this company comes to bad conclusions and makes some terrible decisions regardless.

I can say that I know an ops manager recently went to our MD with concerns regarding pay. Nothing has been done (yet?), but at least I know the issue has been brought up. Sadly, I don't think our Senior has the same respect for the employees. I would imagine he's just coasting to retirement based on how he acts towards us.
The worst part about this company losing customers. Is they tend to go above and beyond trying to satisfy new accounts they should NEVER have taken in the first place.

falcon back

Ops managers and senior managers are directly to blame for the pay issues at this company. They are their work groups voice. Too many managers were quiet for too long and it resulted in a 18 month top out progression becoming 20 years. Quiet scared lying managers let that happen.
You must be a newhire if you believe that. Station management has nothing to do with salaries. Don't you believe managers would rather have employees that made more money and were happy than having a group of employees that are angry about their pay. Some hourly workers aren't going to be happy no matter what they make but if most employees felt like they were paid fairly, they would be a more content workgroup. A content work group is easier to manage, making the managers job easier.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's not only wrong, it makes no sense.

Why would an ops manager/senior play quiet if brining up the issue could result in better pay for their employees, more loyalty, and less turnover?

SmithBarney

Yay... so happy Handlers are now making more than Couriers with same seniority. Across the board $5 bump for handlers became permanent...

MassWineGuy

Why would an ops manager/senior play quiet if brining up the issue could result in better pay for their employees, more loyalty, and less turnover?

Hmm? Because all ops and senior managers are pressured to save money? Because they prefer getting quarterly bonuses? Or because they’re protecting their pensions by not making waves?

Serf

The people all hired around mid 98’ to early 2000 have got it the worst in terms I’ve pay. Or so I’ve heard. I’m actually not that bad. Could hit step 6 in 10.5 yrs of service. If we actually get a step this fall.

Aquaman

I have no idea why they would. But they do. Their managers do the same thing to them, that they do to us…. “We’re working on something. Something big is coming. It’s in the pipeline”. Accepting that answer and dropping it, is where lower managers failed hourlies. Without details why even say something like that lol. Because it’s a lie. It’s been a lie for a long time that managers have all been instructed to repeat. The current new favorite lie is about a potential market level increase. “Our station is in the top 5 for consideration” lol. Not pressing the issue and accepting garbage lies and regurgitating them to employees is 100% managements fault.

SmithBarney

The people all hired around mid 98’ to early 2000 have got it the worst in terms I’ve pay. Or so I’ve heard. I’m actually not that bad. Could hit step 6 in 10.5 yrs of service. If we actually get a step this fall.
Step 5.... 16yrs here... sniff sniff

59 Dano

Hmm? Because all ops and senior managers are pressured to save money?
They aren't. If they were, they'd have the lowest paid employees getting the most OT and the topped out people getting minimums whenever possible.

Because they prefer getting quarterly bonuses?
They don't get quarterly bonuses.

Or because they’re protecting their pensions by not making waves?
One has nothing to do with the other.

SmithBarney

They aren't. If they were, they'd have the lowest paid employees getting the most OT and the topped out people getting minimums whenever possible.

One has nothing to do with the other.
They do, almost 100% of 2nd wave drivers are new hires, and are out 9-10hrs a day.
1st wave is all existing drivers getting 6-7hrs a day...

Ops managers do get bonuses, call it what you like, its a bonus, big ones too.

Ops managers are tasked with keeping costs down, making sure day to day ops run, basically putting drivers in trucks, via scheduling or covering sick calls, and making sure payroll is proper.. otherwise they make very few real decisions, everything is handed down for them to enforce.

59 Dano

Ops managers do get bonuses, call it what you like, its a bonus, big ones too.

Ops managers are tasked with keeping costs down, making sure day to day ops run, basically putting drivers in trucks, via scheduling or covering sick calls, and making sure payroll is proper.. otherwise they make very few real decisions, everything is handed down for them to enforce.
Ops managers are tasked with hitting performance metrics (service, safety, quality, productivity, etc.). Say whatever you want about costs, ops managers are rarely dealing with the cost of anything.

yadig

Ops managers are tasked with hitting performance metrics (service, safety, quality, productivity, etc.). Say whatever you want about costs, ops managers are rarely dealing with the cost of anything.

Attachments

• 06509708-8A79-4E5C-A02B-DE17BB92212A.gif
    06509708-8A79-4E5C-A02B-DE17BB92212A.gif
    473.6 KB · Views: 49