Steward elections.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was asked by my BA a few years back to become one. Turned it down because I didn't feel I would be able to give the members the time they deserved.

My good friend is a steward. Not once has he been able to go on vacation and not get a couple calls from members he had to deal with.

Don't think my wife would be able to deal with that for long. :)
Being a Steward isn't for everyone. I tried it for a few months but soon got tired of fighting everyones battles for them (I had enough of my own). It takes a special person ( a real glutton for punishment to be a good Steward). They are worth their weight in gold. Where I was the Stewards didn't have to pay dues and they also received a real fancy leather Teamsters jacket.

542thruNthru

So if said steward ends up being a branch of management how do you get rid of them? Ours is a joke. Ba says he cant stand the person but he can not remove them.

That's a good question. I know stewards can be removed by the local. I don't know how difficult it is to do though.

The good thing is I believe my building has 10 driver stewards. If you don't like one you can always request a different steward.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So if said steward ends up being a branch of management how do you get rid of them? Ours is a joke. Ba says he cant stand the person but he can not remove them.

Get a hold of your local bylaws, they should have a procedure for removing a steward, an election schedule, or maybe a way to petition to hold an election to try and get a new steward in the position. The BA might not have the authority, but the executive board ought to have some options.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes and no. Depends on the other stewards. I'm not saying we have bad stewards but I will say that some are not very engaging or motivated.

Still sounds like someone should be able to pick up the slack when the one steward is on vacation. Though I don't think I would have an issue answering a call or two while on vacation.

Inthegame

This is a great thread topic.

All Stewards in my Local are elected for a 3 year term.

Elections are conducted at the employers location, for every shift, as determined

by past practice or as the Local President see's fit.

An "intent" notice (sign up sheet) is posted on the Union bulletin board describing the

length of term and who is eligible to vote.

After determining the eligibility of the candidates, another notice is posted stating

the date and time of the voting. (always after the shift ends)

Ballots are printed.

The day of voting, we have a minimum of 2 additional witness's to assist in the

verification and vote count. Candidate's can observe, but not participate.

Member's must sign in.... (also) with the last 4# of their SS.

They are then given a ballot, and an envelope they can seal, and write the last 4#

again on the outside of it before putting it into a locked box.

At the end of the voting period, the ballots are opened and counted.

A tally sheet is filled out with the totals and posted.

The BA(s) and all observers must agree, and all sign the official tally sheet.

All the ballots, sign in sheet, and envelopes, are saved for 1 year.

Beat that.

-Bug-
Not sure if I can "beat" that but our local follows a very similar procedure except we mail ballots to Feeders.

With their 24/7 schedule, and considering vacations, mloa, and daily call ins, we feel mail ballots makes more sense.

Of course that does have some additional costs involved.

Inthegame

Just a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Do your stewards pay dues and do they have any other responsibilities other than their normal duties? Stuff like being required to show up to general membership meetings, craft meeting or participating in other strike in the local?
As a steward, I did not pay dues. Our local had no rules on attendance but my BA expected "his" stewards to attend General mtgs and especially craft mtgs.
It was also expected stewards would attend as many union functions as possible.
My good friend is a steward. Not once has he been able to go on vacation and not get a couple calls from members he had to deal with.
That is more common than most think.
If you had more than one steward for your group it would lighten the load, right?
In multiple steward work groups, members soon learn who the go to stewards are.

I worked in a large dept that had four stewards, yet I handled 90% of the grievances.

Fortunately I recruited another very capable member to become a steward and my share of the work was more proportionate, that is until I was elected to another position.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We generally do elections by paper ballot, no nominations, in the department or center for paid stewards. The BA conducts these, and if a motivated member wants to be an unpaid steward they can just ask the BA. Anyone recognized by the Union via leter to the Company can be a steward. First time I was asked they needed 4 stewards and there were 4 who volunteered so no election was necessary.

You should step up, you have knowledge and integrity. You'll never feel you do enough but you would do fine. Just expressing that concern says you will.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not sure if I can "beat" that but our local follows a very similar procedure except we mail ballots to Feeders.

With their 24/7 schedule, and considering vacations, mloa, and daily call ins, we feel mail ballots makes more sense.

Of course that does have some additional costs involved.

In feeders, we just leave the lock box and voting materials for a 24-hr period.

Staydryitsraining

That's a good question. I know stewards can be removed by the local. I don't know how difficult it is to do though.

The good thing is I believe my building has 10 driver stewards. If you don't like one you can always request a different steward.
This one is a bidded route driver. Never drives sits in the office every day. The random 3 times a month they do drive the route is lightened.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

So the company allows the election to take place on their property is it in the contract that they have to? Is it in the building or the parking lot?

How much does that small election cost your local?

Ours is done onsite and the Sec/ Tres does it so there is no cost except paper and ink.

BrownMonk

Do your stewards pay dues and do they have any other responsibilities other than their normal duties? Stuff like being required to show up to general membership meetings, craft meeting or participating in other strike in the local?

A long time ago, the Union was challenged by the dept of labor regarding showing up at meeting and it was determined that you can't require ANY member, including stewards, as a requirement for any office. OR so I was told.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A long time ago, the Union was challenged by the dept of labor regarding showing up at meeting and it was determined that you can't require ANY member, including stewards, as a requirement for any office. OR so I was told.

I would agree for Stewards, because they aren't considered "employee"s" of

the Local. Elected and officers and agent's can be compelled.... either by the

E-board or the Local's bylaws.

BrownMonk

I would agree for Stewards, because they aren't considered "employee"s" of

the Local. Elected and officers and agent's can be compelled.... either by the

E-board or the Local's bylaws.

I guess I should put a disclaimer on my other post. I meant the Local Union and I'm not sure about the Dept of labor nationally or other locals.

R. Mutt

"You're not my supervisor!"
Our local by-laws maintain that all stewards are to be elected for a term not less than one year except for each elected steward's designated alternate. To challenge a steward's existing position or call for a new steward a petition requiring 60% of given work area's members' is necessary to call for a new election.

That's what it says, anyway.

Ironically, in practice at my hub/sort, the head steward was appointed by the B.A. after our elected head steward quit. Technically, I'm the only democratically elected steward for the sort--except I was elected on day sort, not the twilight where I work.

乁( ⁰͡ Ĺ̯ ⁰͡ ) ㄏ

Boston25

In our Local stewards are required to show up to 50% of our general membership meetings and are required to show up to all mandatory important meetings. We receive a dues refund at the end of the year. But when I have a day off or vacations my phone will always go off.

Boston25

I'm curious how shop steward elections are ran.

In my local, shop stewards are appointed. Usually you speak with the BA and let them know you are interested in becoming a steward. You will have a sit down meeting where you're interviewed and then the BA will let you know. Some times the BA will come to you and ask if you'd like to be a steward.

I'd like to know how stewards are elected in other locals.

Its it a ballot that's sent out?

Is it a general membership meeting where it takes place?

Do only members in your craft vote or is it the whole membership?

Do you have to be nominated or can anyone just throw their hat into the ring?
If a member wants to have an election and run for steward they can. First they notify the BA and then have to get signatures for a election. I was appointed steward. I am surprised that given your knowledge that you aren’t a steward.

542thruNthru

If a member wants to have an election and run for steward they can. First they notify the BA and then have to get signatures for a election. I was appointed steward. I am surprised that given your knowledge that you aren’t a steward.

Everyone keeps saying that. Only thing I'm doing is looking in the contract and going to general membership meeting. ;)