Steward losing his Sat $$$

dudebro

I hit the nail on the head.

And they didn't.

Now.... when called to the carpet.... they exact some sort of "revenge" for

their lack of planning. Sound about right ?

Do you really think it's that personal? You have delusions of grandeur. Get over yourselves. Here's the real item:

Everyone knew the contract wasn't being followed, but the original situation was a tit for tat. Management would have reliable trained drivers on Saturday, and drivers were happy getting OT on Saturday and not demanding 8. For as long as it stayed that way, don't fix what's not broken. Having reliable trained drivers is relatively inexpensive. Management and labor were both happy.

Once the steward demanded 8, he/she was within their rights. But, if you think management was the least bit upset - they weren't. You simply changed the cost equation. Now instead of a 4 hour OT day, mgmt was paying 8, and that's too much money on the cost plan. Did you really think that increasing cost to that degree shouldn't produce a reaction?

So, now they had to get off their rear end and hire the PTers. That's what labor wants, that's what the contract says, that's what we do.

Not a big deal really.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Saturdays are great , off Monday , went to dentist , shopping (store empty), got vehicle fixed ..QUIT COMPLAINING DO YOUR JOB

bumped

Ok.

However, this thread is not about being short drivers. It's about an operation correcting the shortage of drivers.
My sidebars have mostly been addressing the concerns of people who think the correcting of the driver shortage was actually a nefarious retaliation against drivers who had been using the aforementioned shortage to bank plenty of overtime.

I don't care what the reasons are. We are short drivers and upper management is unwilling to fill that void. I'm happy about the result of getting more drivers that were obviously needed.

watdaflock?

so there’s a center in my district where for the longest time, Sat air was voluntary and paid at time-actual

the steward there is kind of a crook (shady stuff he does outside of work to cheat the govt), and now he’s worked up the 20 or so ground drivers on saturday to demand their 8hrs, even though air only takes 3-4

district manager said friend that and had HR hire enough PSP’s to keep the steward from ever working saturday again

now all the ground guys are :censored2: at him because they’ve permanently lost their Sat OT $

Neat.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cool story bro'.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

brownIEman

I based my assessment, on the OP's original post.

That doesn't sound personal ?

To me, it exemplifies it.

-Bug-

I can understand where you are coming from. As stated it does sound like it could be personal.
The difference is, I have experience with how district managers tend to think regarding operations and you do not. There is no reason you would. You have not been in staff meetings with the district manager and all his division managers. You have not received emails from the district manager to all district management about operational concerns. You have not been in 2 day a managers meeting where the district manager strategizes for the coming year.

I have.

When the district manager said friend-that as @TearsInRain mentioned about continuing to run the operation with 8 hour OT paid for 4 hours worked times 20 drivers, he was talking about an absurdly high cost way to run an operation. I'm willing to bet he was pissed about it too, but not about drivers making OT, just about paying a stupid high cost to run an operation when there is a much, much lower cost solution that actually had a higher level of fealty to the contract.

The only personal part is the smug amusement @TearsInRain feels seeing this jerk of a steward end up with egg on his face. I think it's pretty effin funny too I can't really judge Tears for that. If you judge Tears harshly for that, then well, you're being hypocritical, because that is almost the exact amusement you would feel watching a center manager that was a total jerk getting walked out for steeling iPhones.

WTFm8

The 5-6 covers all get a DIAD message on Thursday that they’re working Saturday air (we don’t do ground on Saturday).

I’ve worked every Saturday since June, many 52-57hr weeks.

Myself and the cover 1 month above me alternate late pickups every other Saturday so we only work 3-4hrs one Sat then 8 the next.

I straightened out the 3hr guarantee with a Steward cause a few times I was getting done in 2.25-2.5hrs.

Pretty lame.