Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
- skip to bottom for question -

I was a bid Air Driver part-time for about 5 years. One of the best jobs I've ever had. Evening pickups which were the same every day, no mental stress, virtually same variables every day, and I only worked about 20-23 hours per week so I could still actually have a life. It was great...until I was replaced with a combo and sent back inside to do part-time center work for my inside rate, which was roughly half my Air Driver rate. They couldn't take my classification away so I kept my current pay rate and job title, but since I was doing inside work, I was getting my inside pay. Because there was nothing the union could/wanted to do about this, I decided to go Feeders and was red-circled my top Air Rate.

Feeders was very close to Air Driving in terms of mental stress and low difficulty of the job (once I got the hang of it). I got to drive big rigs, visit different states and see different hubs, and the work pace was great. I loved it...until I was DQ'd on day 28 and sent back to centers, where they didn't return me to my Air Driver classification. I talked to the center manager and he fixed my classification and current pay rate, although I still made my inside rate for doing inside work. I couldn't keep affording to pay bills with my checks being cut in half every week. Out of shear luck, there were many Twilight/Midnight combo jobs that became available around this time, so I bid on all of them and ended up winning a combo position. Again, I was red-circled my top Air Rate.

Combo Inside/Inside was one of the worst jobs I've ever had, because I was Unload/Unload. I didn't think it would be that bad. I mean, it's just unload. I've done it before as a shot to the Unload before I went into air driving. It's just putting boxes on a moving belt. Not that hard, and not as physically demanding as actually loading trailers instead of unloading them. Well, doing that part-time versus doing it for 8.5-9 hours per week is a much bigger difference than I thought. Anyway, did Combo for about 10 months and saw bids for the new Tuesday-Saturday FT Package Car positions. I bid on them, and ending up getting "the call" once again. However, I was not red-circled this time but instead brought in at the starting FT Package Car rate of $18.75. Brought this to my FT Sup's attention who is currently working with payroll on this issue.

Now. As a FT Package Car Driver, I'm aware of the 4 year progression. However, since I had already attained progression as an Air Driver, then worked as a 22.3 Inside/Inside, I get top ground driver rate not after 4 years, but instead 6 months, correct? Does me getting DQ'd from Feeders affect this?

- TLDR -
- Made PT Air Driver progression (bid driver).
- Went Feeders and was DQ'd.
- Went Inside/Inside Combo for 10 months
- Went Tues/Sat FT Package Car, currently under 30 days
Question: Because I was a Top Rate PT Air Driver who then went inside/inside combo, do I only have to wait 6 months instead of 4 years for top rate? Does me going Feeders and then getting DQ'd before I went Inside/Inside Combo affect this?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Being DQ'd from feeders has nothing to do with it.

You completed your progression as a PT air driver.

You bid a FT inside position.

You then bid a Package Car job within 2 years.

You quoted the correct Article and Section number, so what do you, or your center manager, do not understand?

Ya Dad

What did they say you were DQed for? Just curious because I will be going feeders soon.

I didn't close the trailer overhead when I pulled it because I assumed it was closed, and ended up spilling packages. I had the mentality of trying to go fast, which you should NOT have in Feeders, and ended up overlooking this crucial part of the pre-trip. Anyway, I turned myself in for it, got a warning letter, learned from my dumb mistake which was never made again, and miraculously still kept my job even within my 30!

During the phone call while I was on my way to work a couple of weeks later, the manager who called me said, "We all sat down and talked about it, and feel that you are not yet ready for the job. And this has NOTHING to do with the door incident."

lol.

Honestly I think what it was, was that I was doing well and that door incident was the only black mark I had, so the manager probably kept me as long as he could before being pressured by peer/higher up management to let me go. I had heard that the manager was a pretty good guy (rare to see ethical management within UPS but I've come across a couple) so I believe this could have been the case.

You completed your progression as a PT air driver.

You bid a FT inside position.

You then bid a Package Car job within 2 years.

You quoted the correct Article and Section number, so what do you, or your center manager, do not understand?

Nothing now, since:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Also, I will not talk to my center manager about this until AFTER I hit my 30.

Smart move.

NATIONAL MASTER
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
AGREEMENT

ARTICLE 41. FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES

Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression

Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplement, Rider or
Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3
below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering
a full-time job after August 1, 2013 covered by those Sections.

(b.) No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression
more than one (1) time even if he or she transfers between
full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole
exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder
driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes
driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate
equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from
the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to
the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the
Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver
job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Yeah but doesn't the break in rate occur only if he has reached top rate progression for the combo job he won? I think he was still in progression when he one the full time driving job.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yeah but doesn't the break in rate occur only if he has reached top rate progression for the combo job he won? I think he was still in progression when he one the full time driving job.

The contract does not say that he has to complete the 22.3 progression.

As a matter of fact, he cannot complete a 4 year 22.3 progression and still bid a driver job within 2 years per Article 41 Section 2.

He is red circled at his current pay rate and then goes to top ground rate in 6 months.

Ya Dad

DQ Blizzards are great!

DQ Blizzard
[noun]

- A rapid-fire round of disqualifications to several UPS Drivers during the winter months, normally roughly 2 weeks after Christmas. Also known as "Seasonal Drivers", they are baited by management into thinking that the harder they work, the higher their chances are of being hired on, a tactic used to produce higher SPORH in order to survive Peak.

I'm sorry. Were you talking about something else?

542thruNthru

DQ Blizzard
[noun]

- A rapid-fire round of disqualifications to several UPS Drivers during the winter months, normally roughly 2 weeks after Christmas. Also known as "Seasonal Drivers", they are baited by management into thinking that the harder they work, the higher their chances are of being hired on, a tactic used to produce higher SPORH in order to survive Peak.

I'm sorry. Were you talking about something else?

Ya a DQ blizzard
dq-treats-blizzards-cookie-oreo.jpg

Mmmm tasty

James31

I was a bid Air Driver part-time for about 5 years. One of the best jobs I've ever had. Evening pickups which were the same every day, no mental stress, virtually same variables every day, and I only worked about 20-23 hours per week so I could still actually have a life. It was great...until I was replaced with a combo and sent back inside to do part-time center work for my inside rate, which was roughly half my Air Driver rate. They couldn't take my classification away so I kept my current pay rate and job title, but since I was doing inside work, I was getting my inside pay. Because there was nothing the union could/wanted to do about this, I decided to go Feeders and was red-circled my top Air Rate.

Feeders was very close to Air Driving in terms of mental stress and low difficulty of the job (once I got the hang of it). I got to drive big rigs, visit different states and see different hubs, and the work pace was great. I loved it...until I was DQ'd on day 28 and sent back to centers, where they didn't return me to my Air Driver classification. I talked to the center manager and he fixed my classification and current pay rate, although I still made my inside rate for doing inside work. I couldn't keep affording to pay bills with my checks being cut in half every week. Out of shear luck, there were many Twilight/Midnight combo jobs that became available around this time, so I bid on all of them and ended up winning a combo position. Again, I was red-circled my top Air Rate.

Combo Inside/Inside was one of the worst jobs I've ever had, because I was Unload/Unload. I didn't think it would be that bad. I mean, it's just unload. I've done it before as a shot to the Unload before I went into air driving. It's just putting boxes on a moving belt. Not that hard, and not as physically demanding as actually loading trailers instead of unloading them. Well, doing that part-time versus doing it for 8.5-9 hours per week is a much bigger difference than I thought. Anyway, did Combo for about 10 months and saw bids for the new Tuesday-Saturday FT Package Car positions. I bid on them, and ending up getting "the call" once again. However, I was not red-circled this time but instead brought in at the starting FT Package Car rate of $18.75. Brought this to my FT Sup's attention who is currently working with payroll on this issue.

Now. As a FT Package Car Driver, I'm aware of the 4 year progression. However, since I had already attained progression as an Air Driver, then worked as a 22.3 Inside/Inside, I get top ground driver rate not after 4 years, but instead 6 months, correct? Does me getting DQ'd from Feeders affect this?

- TLDR -
Question: Because I was a Top Rate PT Air Driver who then went inside/inside combo, do I only have to wait 6 months instead of 4 years for top rate? Does me going Feeders and then getting DQ'd before I went Inside/Inside Combo affect this?

- TLDR -

Hi! I was wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to figure out what my pay-rate will be when I go FT 22.3 Inside/Inside? I've talked to a few people at work about this, but have received different answers. Like you, I'm also a PT Bid Air-Driver going FT 22.3 Inside/Inside. I was a PT loader for 5 years, then PT Bid Air-Driver for the last 10. I read above that you were red-circled at your top Air-Rate when you went FT Inside/Inside? Is this correct? I'm hoping for the same as my PT Inside-Rate would be significantly lower than my current Air-Rate. I work in Local 177. I appreciate your help. Thanks, James

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
You would be red circled at your current rates unless one of the rates is lower than the 22.3 progression rate that you would be enter at.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hi! I was wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to figure out what my pay-rate will be when I go FT 22.3 Inside/Inside? I've talked to a few people at work about this, but have received different answers. Like you, I'm also a PT Bid Air-Driver going FT 22.3 Inside/Inside. I was a PT loader for 5 years, then PT Bid Air-Driver for the last 10. I read above that you were red-circled at your top Air-Rate when you went FT Inside/Inside? Is this correct? I'm hoping for the same as my PT Inside-Rate would be significantly lower than my current Air-Rate. I work in Local 177. I appreciate your help. Thanks, James

Article 41 section 3 of the Master would cover you.

"Other part-time employees who bid into a full-time inside job cov-
ered by this Section will be red circled at their current wage rate
until such time as the calculated progression rate set forth below
exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time
start date for purposes of applying the progression set forth below.
A part-time employee shall not lose the red circle protection provid-
ed by this paragraph as a result of transferring from one full-time
inside job to another full-time inside job."

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

- TLDR -

Could you condense the TLDR a bit more