Stock Price

M

moreluck

FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) today reaffirmed its previous guidance of $0.90 to $1.00 per diluted share for the third quarter ending February 28, 2005.

"FedEx experienced a strong holiday season," said Alan B. Graf, Jr., executive vice president and chief financial officer. "We continue to see favorable U.S. and global economic conditions and demand for all of our transportation services is strong."

R

robonono

Typical knee-jerk over-reaction by short-term investors.

Even with the specific 4Q guidance, UPS stated that '04 over '03 profits are expected to increase by 19%. That my fellow brown-bloods, is a very good number.

B

brown39

Decline is expected, this knee-jerk OVER reaction is allowing the Company to proceed with the plans to buy back shares and retire them, lst qtr 05 will surprise, in Feb. the dividend will increase 7 cents per share, nothing to get excited about in the Long term....

M

my2cents

UPS Cuts 4th-Quarter Forecast, Citing Volume Slowdown in U.S.

By NICOLE HARRIS
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
January 12, 2005; Page A2

United Parcel Service Inc. lowered its fourth-quarter earnings forecast, blaming higher costs and an "unexpected, significant" slowdown in domestic package volume during the week after Christmas.

In an announcement after the markets closed yesterday, the package-delivery giant said that prior to the last week of the year, package volume had been growing 2.5% for the quarter. But the drop-off in packages between Christmas and New Year's slowed domestic package-volume growth to an increase of just 1.6% for the quarter.

<\excerpt>

Norman Black, a UPS spokesman, said the company hadn't yet determined the cause of the fall-off in volume during the last week of the year. "The only thing that is clear to us is we got hit by an unexpected double whammy," he said, referring to higher-than-expected costs due to winter storms in the Midwest and the drop-off in volume between Christmas and New Year's that was roughly 20% worse than what the company projected.

<\snip>

One week of lower than expected volume adds up to a near 1% drop in quarterly growth? No wonder the stock price has taken a dive. Wall Street obviously didn't buy it and to be honest, I don't either.

R

rd0127

UPDATE 3-UPS shares fall, dragging transports lower
Wed Jan 12, 2005 06:02 PM ET
(Updates with FedEx economist comments)
By Reshma Kapadia

NEW YORK, Jan 12 (Reuters) - The shares of United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) slid more than 7 percent on Wednesday, dragging down the transport sector a day after the company said fourth-quarter earnings would miss estimates.

A more optimistic comment from UPS rival FedEx Corp. (FDX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) helped buffer the weakness in transport stocks, but even trucking shares felt the heat.

"UPS is the bellwether for the industry. I know people are concerned about the macro impact and whether that is the first sign the economy is weakening," said FTN Midwest analyst Mark Davis. "But I think this is more of an anomaly and I don't think it speaks to the economic situation in 2005."

In its profit warning, UPS, the world's largest package delivery company, cited higher-than-expected operating costs due to storms and domestic package volume growth that was about 20 percent below its expectations.

FedEx, the No. 1 air-express shipper, stood by its quarterly forecast late on Tuesday and said it still sees favorable U.S. and global economic conditions.

In an interview late Wednesday, FedEx Chief Economist Gene Huang said its growth was "steady and strong" through the holiday season and into 2005.

"I can assure you growth momentum is steady and I think the situation is aligned with the macroeconomic picture," Huang said, adding that performance during the holiday season exceeded the company's expectations.

The Dow Jones Transport index closed down 1.6 percent after hitting its lowest point since late November.

Some analysts said the UPS warning suggested the company was under pressure from FedEx and possibly from Deutsche Post AG's (DPWGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) DHL, which has been trying to push into the U.S. ground-delivery market.

"We don't believe that bad weather and a drop in one week of volume provides a credible explanation for the shortfall," said AG Edwards analyst Donald Broughton in a research note.

"It is our sense that the shortfall is better answered by a continued loss in market share to FedEx, coupled with higher operating costs as a result of a very 'friendly Teamsters" union contract that inhibits UPS's ability to leverage its cost structure no matter how volume fluctuates."

CSFB analyst John Barnes, who cut his rating on UPS to neutral from outperform, said in a research note that he expects the market to reexamine UPS' growth potential "given what appear to be significant challenges in the near term."

He expects the stock is "likely dead money over the next several months."

Morgan Keegan analyst Arthur Hatfield also said consumers bought gifts later in the holiday season this year, leading to increased use of overnight air delivery rather than slower ground service. While UPS noted an increase in its air business, FedEx is the name people often think about when shipping packages overnight by air, he said.

UPS is analyzing the situation to find out what led to the dip in volume, company spokesman Norman Black said. While some businesses were closed in the early part of the week after Christmas, UPS does not know if any one single factor caused the "befuddling development," he said.

Several analysts said they did not think the volume drop was limited to the last week of the year. CSFB's Barnes said total volume growth was moving at 2.5 percent before the last week of the year, a full percentage point lower than his estimate and below management's expectations.

The UPS earnings warnings, coming after an October report that third-quarter earnings fell short of analysts' estimates, "may rattle investor confidence," said Robert W. Baird analyst Jon Langenfeld.

Hatfield said: "I think what you will see is a shift of people moving from UPS to FedEx and reading the competitive issue into (this news)."

UPS shares fell $6.12 to $77.18, hitting levels not seen since October. FedEx shares ended down 94 cents to $94.47. Both companies' shares posted double-digit gains last year as the U.S. economic expansion and a surge in global trade drove profit and volume growth.

Trucking stocks also took a beating, with shares of Overnite Corp. (OVNT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) closing down 2.7 percent at $33.04 Yellow Roadway Corp. (YELL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) shares fell 69 cents to $51.75 and USF Corp. (USFC.O: Quote, Profile, Research) shares slipped 62 cents to $34.84.

M

moreluck

UPS sited weather as one reason.....FDX had the same weather. There's something deeper going on here.

R

rd0127

Our hub in Louisville took a terrible hit by the weather. FedEx main hub is in Memphis, they did not get the winter storm like Louisville did. Nothing went in or out of Louisville for a couple of days due to that storm. It was a huge problem for UPS.

E

ezrider

Bad weather? Perhaps a contributing factor but not the smoking gun. And this ANALyst passing the buck blaming the "friendly Teamsters" for restricting cost-cutting measures officially gets my vote for Jack#%* Of The Year. What a load of tripe. I was wondering how long it would take before somebody on Wall Street would pull out the union card. I'm surprised it took this long.

O

ok2bclever

Yeah, amazing!

Decades of increasing volume and profits and a slightly disappointing quarter and it's the union contract fault.

What a load of . . .

The Louisville problem was an act of God and UPS did not have to honor guarantees.

So the Louisville episode was a headache, and I am sure a disappointment for customers involved, but not a major expense point for UPS.

That we have lost short term volume to FedEx, possibly, and to DHL, certainly, but who knows about the future.

Still, this little trip back to stock reality might be good for those who are putting too much of their investment money into the company they get their paycheck from as well.

Basic investment strategy forewarns putting all your eggs in one basket.

I know there will be many here who will pooh pooh such cautions.

Just like the people of Worldcom, Enron, Global Crossing and many others who ignored such common sense because nothing could truly damage their company.

Sound familiar.

I know, but really, NOT UPS.

I certainly do not think so either and hope not as well, but I will not wager my financial future on it.

I already have the pension fund and social security to disappoint me.

W

water302

Let's not panic yet! UPS has been good to all of us shareholders. The stock has been down and the stock has been up. Unless you are planning on selling your stock today the share price is not important. UPS still pays some of the highest dividends on the market and I have not seen or heard anything to change that. I, for one, will be more interested in the final numbers, not the projections.

P

psstdrvr

I think its about time corporate starts looking at all the excess lame duck management around. My guess there is easily 20% of mid-upper level managers just waiting for retirement at 55 yrs who are absolutely worthless and collecting an exhorbinate salary. Time to cut costs where it will make a difference. Corporate has to start answering to the shareowners. FDX is sinking this tight ship and the captain is asleep at the helm.

E

ezrider

Psstdrvr

My goodness. I've heard calls to take action, but never that drastic of action. I have no proof that those kind in management don't exist, but the select few I see and deal with daily appear to be working extremely hard. Like Water302 posted, one quarter's numbers won't torpedo the whole ship under. Don't start selling. Unless of course your looking to score some quick cash to buy a vowel or two for that very descriptive name. Yeah I know...that's a cheap shot...I couldn't resist though...

Now the really high up hotshots? That's where some answers need to come from as to the speculation about what caused the shortfall in earnings. And after chatting with drivers I know from the other buildings that have undergone the rollover to PAS/EDD I've got a good idea why. The new system that was billed as the miraculous cost-cutting yet more efficient service enhancing cure-all has failed to live up to all it's hype and hasn't delivered the savings that Corporate insisted it would create, and now the front-line management is getting squeezed for answers why. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the suits in Atlanta started believing thier own propaganda and built these percieved bundles of money saved from EDD into the earnings projections that they passed along to the Wall Street crowd.

It wouldn't be the first time a boardroom of MBA's had become so diluted in thier own hubris that it distorted them from the reality of what was actually happening outside the ivory towers. Probably not the last time either. I'm sure it will be the "exhorbitant labor cost burden" that is just the allmighty evil to the poor and downtrodden shareholders.

T

tieguy

"It wouldn't be the first time a boardroom of MBA's had become so diluted in thier own hubris that it distorted them from the reality of what was actually happening outside the ivory towers."

LOL, me thinks your english teacher would so proud of your deliverance of such qualitative prose..

P

proups

The "Teamster friendly" remark is true, whether we like it or not. UPS has the hardest working, highest paid drivers in the industry. I'm not saying drivers don't earn their pay, but it does impact the bottom line.

You can't blame it on excess management either. Take a look at the on-road supervisors. How many of them who have been promoted in the last several years have come from the driver ranks? Not many. Drivers that work overtime actually make more than their supervisors in base pay. What kind of sense does that make?

I think every employee at UPS will be impacted by the poor 4th quarter 2004 financial results. We'll just see what happens. Look at the airlines - asking union employees for concessions at every opportunity and cutting management jobs. UPS may not react this aggressively, but there will be a reaction.

P

pretender

I don't think it is time to panic--After all, the stock price is still about $5.00 per share higher than at this time last year...

However, the price of UPS stock today, reflects a continuation of the steady--if unremarkable, returns since 1999. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears as though the total return for the last 5 years is about 20%.

Given the fact that many people lost huge amounts of money during this same period, our UPS stock has done quite respectable. BUT--could it be that some of us (myself included) have fallen in love so much with the UPS stock (ever since that day in November of 1999 when we opened our statements and discovered the value doubled) that we have allowed ourselves to have "too many eggs in one basket"?

Personally, I am upset, because I had planned to correct the situation by selling off a substantial amount of UPS shares this month. However, I got greedy and waited too long.

As ok2bclever stated, we already have the pension fund and social security to disappoint us...