Stop comparing integrad to boot camp.

rod

Retired 22 years
anything is allowed if no one snitches
In all reality if someone feels they are being mistreated all they have to do is say "I quit" and go on their merry way. It's not like the old days when once you got in or were drafted you were forced to stay in.

PT Car Washer

In all reality if someone feels they are being mistreated all they have to do is say "I quit" and go on their merry way. It's not like the old days when once you got in or were drafted you were forced to stay in.
The military doesn't want anybody who doesn't want to be there. Eliminates a lot of problems down the road. Of course for the dropped recruit it must feel terrible knowing you couldn't cut it.

rod

Retired 22 years
The military doesn't want anybody who doesn't want to be there. Eliminates a lot of problems down the road. Of course for the dropped recruit it must feel terrible knowing you couldn't cut it.
At this point in time I agree with you but there will come a time again when crying won't get you out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You could always get out if you really wanted to even with the draft, just fail all the tests in basic training/bootcamp and they'll send you home. The advantage to having an all-volunteer military is that everyone is there by choice, ie, they want to serve. You'll still get a few that immediately regret their decision the first time they get yelled at and start crying and looking for a way out but it's such a small number that it's not really worth it to put time and effort into dealing with them. Easier to just give'm the boot and move on with the 99% who want to stick it out.

rod

Retired 22 years
You could always get out if you really wanted to even with the draft, just fail all the tests in basic training/bootcamp and they'll send you home. The advantage to having an all-volunteer military is that everyone is there by choice, ie, they want to serve. You'll still get a few that immediately regret their decision the first time they get yelled at and start crying and looking for a way out but it's such a small number that it's not really worth it to put time and effort into dealing with them. Easier to just give'm the boot and move on with the 99% who want to stick it out.

I did hear of people getting out of the Air Force. In 1968 when I was drafted into the Army once you passed your induction physical and took the Oath no way in hell were you getting out. We had a young kid in Basic Training who went AWOL twice and and was caught before he even got off base. They drug his ass back. He ended up having a suicide / AWOL guard sitting on the end of his bunk for 2 hour shifts all night- every night to watch him. I'm almost certain he eventually ended up in Leavenworth as a deserter.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I did hear of people getting out of the Air Force. In 1968 when I was drafted into the Army once you passed your induction physical and took the Oath no way in hell were you getting out. We had a young kid in Basic Training who went AWOL twice and and was caught before he even got off base. They drug his ass back. He ended up having a suicide / AWOL guard sitting on the end of his bunk for 2 hour shifts all night- every night to watch him. I'm almost certain he eventually ended up in Leavenworth as a deserter.
Back then all you had to was tell them you were gay right? Even when I was in they were kicking people out for that whether they wanted to get out or not.

HFolb23

Unless things have changed in the less than 10 years that I went to BCT, “quitting” was an option if you wanted to fight the cadre enough to get to that point, but you didn’t go home right away. Those with tiny-heart syndrome got shipped back to the Return Home Unit at the Reception BN and waited MONTHS for paperwork to get them sent back. The quitters would be there LONG after the rest of their class graduated. That’s why from day one in the Army they tell you the fastest way through TRADOC is to graduate.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back then all you had to was tell them you were gay right? Even when I was in they were kicking people out for that whether they wanted to get out or not.
Coming out once you were in the Army back then would only guarantee you a blanket party.

BrownSnowFlake

-3 hots and a cot
-Uniform inspections
-Thermostat somehow displays the average IQ of everyone in the room

You gotta admit there's a lot of similarities