Stop comparing integrad to boot camp.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was recently asked to come back as an instructor for the New Service Provider Training classes held at a facility just north of the Latham (NY) building. The lead instructor and I had worked together for 15-20 years and she sent me a text letting me know that they were bringing back retirees, at roughly $5/hr above top rate :), to help teach the classes. The training consisted of a two hour Zoom call on Friday, three days of online training from Monday-Wednesday followed up by two days of classroom training on Thursday ad Friday. We had one or two on cars and a couple of former drivers as full time instructors. I was "in charge" of the Clarksville portion of the training. Each of the trainees had two on road evaluations of about 30 minutes each per in class day. Much of their training was done online. Clarksville, which is supposed to simulate actual delivery situations, is pretty much a joke----5 delivery stops (signatures, 1 pickup and 1 multiple COD stop) and a back between a series of cones intended to simulate backing up to a loading dock. We emphasized the start/stop routine. The trainees were required to memorize the 5 seeing habits verbatim and the "why" and "what" of the 10 point commentary with a firm grasp of the verbiage. I couldn't help but notice as the closer we got to Peak and the increased need for new drivers that the emphasis on the DOK was reduced. I did enjoy the Telematics presentation as I would ask the instructor to pull up my former center and to focus on a few of the "problem children" to see what kind of stupid "stuff" they were doing. They never disappointed-----one of them thought it was a good idea to back up nearly 1/4 mile at about 11mph. At any rate, while the training was supposed to get them ready, there is no substitute for actually getting them out there and having them do it. I still contend that having them ride with a senior FT driver for a day would be far better than having them sit in a classroom for a week.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
I was recently asked to come back as an instructor for the New Service Provider Training classes held at a facility just north of the Latham (NY) building. The lead instructor and I had worked together for 15-20 years and she sent me a text letting me know that they were bringing back retirees, at roughly $5/hr above top rate :), to help teach the classes. The training consisted of a two hour Zoom call on Friday, three days of online training from Monday-Wednesday followed up by two days of classroom training on Thursday ad Friday. We had one or two on cars and a couple of former drivers as full time instructors. I was "in charge" of the Clarksville portion of the training. Each of the trainees had two on road evaluations of about 30 minutes each per in class day. Much of their training was done online. Clarksville, which is supposed to simulate actual delivery situations, is pretty much a joke----5 delivery stops (signatures, 1 pickup and 1 multiple COD stop) and a back between a series of cones intended to simulate backing up to a loading dock. We emphasized the start/stop routine. The trainees were required to memorize the 5 seeing habits verbatim and the "why" and "what" of the 10 point commentary with a firm grasp of the verbiage. I couldn't help but notice as the closer we got to Peak and the increased need for new drivers that the emphasis on the DOK was reduced. I did enjoy the Telematics presentation as I would ask the instructor to pull up my former center and to focus on a few of the "problem children" to see what kind of stupid "stuff" they were doing. They never disappointed-----one of them thought it was a good idea to back up nearly 1/4 mile at about 11mph. At any rate, while the training was supposed to get them ready, there is no substitute for actually getting them out there and having them do it. I still contend that having them ride with a senior FT driver for a day would be far better than having them sit in a classroom for a week.
How does returning to UPS affect your pension? Did you need to get you locals blessing?

As part of my buildings in house driver training the trainee do ride for a day with a FT delivery driver. Demonstrates the pace a driver is expected to maintain all day.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
How’s H&R Block going?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
They still occasionally do the “ride along with a FT driver” thing here. Those that get that opportunity tend to do much better than those that do not. I’ve been asked to do it a few times. I tell them to ask questions when they like, but stay out of the way and just watch. It’s not my job to instruct.

Oh, and welcome back Dave.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They still occasionally do the “ride along with a FT driver” thing here. Those that get that opportunity tend to do much better than those that do not. I’ve been asked to do it a few times. I tell them to ask questions when they like, but stay out of the way and just watch. It’s not my job to instruct.

Whenever I was asked to have a newbie ride along I would do my best to show them the basics and how to use the DIAD but like you I would also tell them to stay out of the way and just watch.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

He never left

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How does returning to UPS affect your pension? Did you need to get you locals blessing?
Due to our pension cuts they have really relaxed the "working while retired" rules. There is no hours limit for jobs outside of our industry while there is 1000 hour per calendar year limit for jobs within the industry. We have to submit a form basically asking permission to work while retired. When I submitted mine for the UPS they approved it with the caveat that I not train drivers for our competitors.

HFolb23

I was recently asked to come back as an instructor for the New Service Provider Training classes held at a facility just north of the Latham (NY) building.
What building is that? I thought Latham was the big training facility for the area, I noticed just recently that the package car with the seats and windows in the back was missing from its usual spot near the guard shack at Latham. You can PM me if you don’t want to publicly state the location..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What building is that? I thought Latham was the big training facility for the area, I noticed just recently that the package car with the seats and windows in the back was missing from its usual spot near the guard shack at Latham. You can PM me if you don’t want to publicly state the location..
UPS bought/leased a former McKesson Healthcare distribution facility in Halfmoon with the original intent of making it a training center. They then decided to throw in a single belt system and brought some routes down from Glens Falls. Shortly after Peak ends, they are going to close the building to add a second single belt system and bring some routes up from Cap North. It is a fairly brand new building just off of Rte 9 ideally located to ease the burdens on both GF and Latham. Rather than using the converted package car, we used a rental SUV to give the trainees, in groups of 4-5 at a time, their initial driver drill training.

HFolb23

UPS bought/leased a former McKesson Healthcare distribution facility in Halfmoon with the original intent of making it a training center. They then decided to throw in a single belt system and brought some routes down from Glens Falls. Shortly after Peak ends, they are going to close the building to add a second single belt system and bring some routes up from Cap North. It is a fairly brand new building just off of Rte 9 ideally located to ease the burdens on both GF and Latham. Rather than using the converted package car, we used a rental SUV to give the trainees, in groups of 4-5 at a time, their initial driver drill training.

I’ve brought trailers into 1282 from Syracuse many times now, I didn’t realize it was a training facility I figured it just handled overflow from 1280. I knew that Cap North was moving there shortly but haven’t seen any timeline on it yet. They’re going to really need to rework those conveyor belts before Cap North rolls in, IIRC they only had extendos on 2 or 3 doors, couldn’t load or unload at any of the other docks. The Halfmoon center is an oddity at UPS being that it’s so clean and that it’s not busting at the seams. Makes sense now why it looked like they’re only utilizing about about 40% of that building.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’ve brought trailers into 1282 from Syracuse many times now, I didn’t realize it was a training facility I figured it just handled overflow from 1280. I knew that Cap North was moving there shortly but haven’t seen any timeline on it yet. They’re going to really need to rework those conveyor belts before Cap North rolls in, IIRC they only had extendos on 2 or 3 doors, couldn’t load or unload at any of the other docks. The Halfmoon center is an oddity at UPS being that it’s so clean and that it’s not busting at the seams. Makes sense now why it looked like they’re only utilizing about about 40% of that building.
Are they still open? If so, go in and take a look around-----there is plenty of room to add a second belt; in fact, all of the equipment needed for that second belt is lined up along the far wall. The holes in the exterior had already been cut (and temporarily plugged) when I was there. There are two separate training rooms for the classroom portion and we would use the open part of the warehouse for Clarksville.

The pace in that building was like nothing I had ever seen before. The preload was a joke----the belt ran really, really slow. There are no locker rooms for the drivers and their meeting area is just to the left of the overhead door. They pull out of the building and those who bother to do their pretrips line up in the same parking lot that you come in to drop off the trailers. There are no plans to add a customer counter. Everything is so laid back.

As I said, they will be closing the building shortly after Peak is over to reconfigure the existing belt and add the second one.

Last edited:

HFolb23

Are they still open? If so, go in and take a look around-----there is plenty of room to add a second belt; in fact, all of the equipment needed for that second belt is lined up along the far wall. The holes in the exterior had already been cut (and temporarily plugged) when I was there. There are two separate training rooms for the classroom portion and we would use the open part of the warehouse for Clarksville.

The pace in that building was like nothing I had ever seen before. The preload was a joke----the belt ran really, really slow. There are no locker rooms for the drivers and their meeting area is just to the left of the overhead door. They pull out of the building and those who bother to do their pretrips line up in the same parking lot that you come in to drop off the trailers. There are no plans to add a customer counter. Everything is so laid back.

As I said, they will be closing the building shortly after Peak is over to reconfigure the existing belt and add the second one.

They were still there as of last week, brought them loads on two separate nights. First time I went to that building there was nobody around to ask so I gave myself a self guided tour while searching for the bathroom. There is a ton of room on the other side of the belt, they’re definitely using less than half of that warehouse right now. I forgot about that construction they had going over the summer on that far back wall. Leave it to UPS to put their feeder doors on the tightest side. I know those routes are moving back to GF but to another satellite center not the main one. Timeline unknown on that but must be fairly soon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They were still there as of last week, brought them loads on two separate nights. First time I went to that building there was nobody around to ask so I gave myself a self guided tour while searching for the bathroom. There is a ton of room on the other side of the belt, they’re definitely using less than half of that warehouse right now. I forgot about that construction they had going over the summer on that far back wall. Leave it to UPS to put their feeder doors on the tightest side. I know those routes are moving back to GF but to another satellite center not the main one. Timeline unknown on that but must be fairly soon.
I am sure that UPS tried to make the best of what was already there.