Stop thinking in crisis, start thinking in opportunities!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The whole point of the letter rate was something that would be bendable to go through our automated sorts
This is partly true, but they likely failed to inform the customer that the envelope still has to close under it's own power and be able to be bendable

Well aint that just like UPS. You know the secret rules for letters. The non UPS employees that do the revenue enhancements know the secret rules too. But the business development people, drivers, center managers dont.

Yet another one of the great disconnects that I keep repeating myself on that exist at UPS.

We are not one company, but a cluster (you fill in the blank) of little fiefdoms that live in their own little worlds, expecting everybody else to read their brain.

And you want us to do that while working 10 hours a day at warp speed?

Brown, I have always had great respect for your posts. But this really shows what kind of problems we face as a company, and the crap we catch from customers when we promise something, and deliver or charge something else.

BTW, I know the tech geeks and engineering get off on how automated we are, but to the customer, they could care less.

d PS, you might also want to get the techie guys to update the website as well. You know how customers get testy when they feel like they are getting the screw AFTER the fact.

Last edited:

Limper

Out For Delivery
Hey Salesguy, if every UPSER gave me two dollars I'd be a millionaire too! Stay off the caffeine, the new business isn't there!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey Salesguy, if every UPSER gave me two dollars I'd be a millionaire too! Stay off the caffeine, the new business isn't there!!

Hey Salesguy, I'll do you one better, I'll take 1 dollar from every UPS'er, and I'll repeat Limper, that Red Bull is gonna kill ya.:wink2:

UPSNewbie

Well aint that just like UPS. You know the secret rules for letters. The non UPS employees that do the revenue enhancements know the secret rules too. But the business development people, drivers, center managers dont.

Yet another one of the great disconnects that I keep repeating myself on that exist at UPS.

We are not one company, but a cluster (you fill in the blank) of little fiefdoms that live in their own little worlds, expecting everybody else to read their brain.

And you want us to do that while working 10 hours a day at warp speed?

Brown, I have always had great respect for your posts. But this really shows what kind of problems we face as a company, and the crap we catch from customers when we promise something, and deliver or charge something else.

BTW, I know the tech geeks and engineering get off on how automated we are, but to the customer, they could care less.

d PS, you might also want to get the techie guys to update the website as well. You know how customers get testy when they feel like they are getting the screw AFTER the fact.

Danny, did you read the link the wrecker posted? It says for letters "No weight restrictions." So either Suit is WAY wrong, or UPS blatantly lies to the customer.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hi Sleeve_Meet-Heart. I don't know of any BD management person in my district that gives less than 10-12 hour days. I get emails from my sales force that are still working from home between 10pm and 1am. The sales force team does not only visit customers to win new business, they make visits on damages, and many other problems. You can't even imagine the paperwork that the sales force has to process. It's a vicious circle!

In your opinion. I never said sales people never work 40 hour weeks. I am just saying it's a huge difference when you are in a business development environment than as a driver. There is no time to lounge around with a latte kick your feet up unless you are co-chair of saftey committee. From what I have seen the i.e and bd rarely actually work more than 8 hours, although yes SOMETIMES were "available" or more or less on their UPS career time 10-12 hours.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
In your opinion. I never said sales people never work 40 hour weeks. I am just saying it's a huge difference when you are in a business development environment than as a driver. There is no time to lounge around with a latte kick your feet up unless you are co-chair of saftey committee. From what I have seen the i.e and bd rarely actually work more than 8 hours, although yes SOMETIMES were "available" or more or less on their UPS career time 10-12 hours.

Ouch, Sleeve, that hurt, and I don't even think that you aimed it this way.:surprised: I wish life was, that easy here. Some safety co-chairs go out on the road with a supe or, stay in the building to do work. I've never done any of that cushy stuff. I, usually, am up in the office, drilling all the acronyms into drivers heads.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeve_meet_Heart

Ouch, Sleeve, that hurt, and I don't even think that you aimed it this way.:surprised: I wish life was, that easy here. Some safety co-chairs go out on the road with a supe or, stay in the building to do work. I've never done any of that cushy stuff. I, usually, am up in the office, drilling all the acronyms into drivers heads.

That's funny...the first time I read this, I immediately thought of you STUG. :biting:

wisedragonfly

HMMM,,, in my 20 years, Ive never seen a sales rep anywhere near our center late. Ive seen many a driver out past 10pm; havent even made it home by then. I wish you sales reps all the best; as for me, I'll stick to delivering boxes. You get the leads and the volume, I'll deliver it

Hi Tourist24. I see where you're coming from. Of course, as always, I can only speak of what I see in my own district. I realize that we have MANY problems behind the scene at UPS, on all levels across the board. Trust me, my district is no different than yours.

We already know that there is not enough time in a UPS day to finish all the things that needed to be done, yesterday. We all know that UPS measures everything, except the time it takes for an employee to go the extra mile. However, the extra mile given daily by UPSers around the world, is how we became what we are today... and will mean even more now, if we want to be here tomorrow.

Some of us have brown blood and are Proud UPSers; going the extra mile comes second natured. As in all companies, there are others that just come to work to make a pay day and could care less about anything outside of their comfort zone and care even less about service failures, whether it be internal or external.

If we want to protect our stocks, we have to dig deep, as a Team. Especially during this economy crisis! We need to pull together as ONE UPS and resolve some of our internal problems. We need to find a fair way of keeping our existing volume and obtaining the competitor volume. Every department, in every district has a service failure, at one point or other. It will take everyone going the extra mile in your district's to make change happen. Are we going to allow our internal problems spill over on our customers? That, is the ULTIMATE service failure!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeve_meet_Heart

That's funny...the first time I read this, I immediately thought of you STUG. :biting:

Immediately I think of whatever :censored2: kisser rat in the office chatting the OMSs, or riding around with center manager and DM following drivers. ;O maybe that is just a delusional stigma on my part!

deepsouthmamaw

ya know sales guy when i started with ups years ago {27 1/2}. i was a young and eager driver and believed in ups. i set up an account with a customer who at the time was using 6-12 trucks of his own to make delivery's and pickups. while we were just doing 10% of his volume. i spoke with the boss on a regular basis 1-2 aweek. cordinating the aspects of him giving all of his shipping to ups and getting rid of his trucks we even spoke about his problem with his truck drivers and i sugested maybe he could use more sales men on the road and ups could just do shipping. for u see back in the old days we as drivers could spend a few minutes speaking to our customers to talk to them about their shipping needs. and not get a warning letter for excessive whatever. he turned over all his shipping and doubled his sales force.
now we send feeders their. this is a true story i was featured in the big idea with my picture and every thing. very good revenue for company. i see this kind of thing out their now but as i run 4 hrs over allowed at times, have cut back and even told customers we were instructed to have less verbal communication. because on my area i am only allowed 2min 20r40 seconds for a 1 pkg stop. so many minutes to the next stop and so on. my point being we have no time. granted u guys can go in after a sales lead but will not get the reception as a trusted driver would. with ups treating their employes like this and my customers always communicate to me, hey whats going on i keep seeing this driver r that driver out till 9-10 you guys having trouble handling freight. r when you have a decision to make deliver your last 6 business stops before starting your pick ups which throws you off and they have to wait for you after 5. which sends out a message also. to whoever gets left behind delivery r pick up. this might be a long story but its true and from my heart would love to have more time to turn sales leads, in part because i still believe in the concept of ups. i don't believe i am as believing as when i first started. but i have high hopes and a positive attitude. and if i did turn a sales lead like the last one i turned in took my time worked the customer turned it into hot leads number. sales guy sold it three days later got chewed out buy two seperate bosses because we did not start picking them up when they wanted. unless i get the order i cannot pick them up. i was blamed for the service failure intent to terminate failure to follow supervisors instructions. need less to say i am very leary about turning in leads now. plus being chewed on daily about my time. if i am already 2 hrs over allowed and it takes me 5 minutes to turn in a lead that would be 2 hrs and 5 min .

Hi Tourist24. I see where you're coming from. Of course, as always, I can only speak of what I see in my own district. I realize that we have MANY problems behind the scene at UPS, on all levels across the board. Trust me, my district is no different than yours.

We already know that there is not enough time in a UPS day to finish all the things that needed to be done, yesterday. We all know that UPS measures everything, except the time it takes for an employee to go the extra mile. However, the extra mile given daily by UPSers around the world, is how we became what we are today... and will mean even more now, if we want to be here tomorrow.

Some of us have brown blood and are Proud UPSers; going the extra mile comes second natured. As in all companies, there are others that just come to work to make a pay day and could care less about anything outside of their comfort zone and care even less about service failures, whether it be internal or external.

If we want to protect our stocks, we have to dig deep, as a Team. Especially during this economy crisis! We need to pull together as ONE UPS and resolve some of our internal problems. We need to find a fair way of keeping our existing volume and obtaining the competitor volume. Every department, in every district has a service failure, at one point or other. It will take everyone going the extra mile in your district's to make change happen. Are we going to allow our internal problems spill over on our customers? That, is the ULTIMATE service failure!
Few teams have ever been successful in spite of their coaches. IT takes a knowledgable and skill coach to LEAD the TEAM.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Yes, some of us have brown blood and are proud UPSers. And yes some of go the extra mile to serve our customers or our OC's, center manager's, and even DM's. But it's not necessarily because we are brown to the bone or are proud UPSers. Some of go the extra mile because it is SECOND NATURE to us. I do and don't care about services failures. I don't because that is the way the company has made me.

Dig deep? How deep would you like me to dig? We are putting in PAS right now and the only reason I can see for this is to permanantly break out 2 rtes and be justified for doing it. The ONLY thing this will accomplish is forcing more O9.5's. I have not filed on 2 9.5's in the last 3 weeks because of my DM. And that's fine with me but it ends now. I will file on every single one of them from now on because of PAS. You are right about one thing. There is NOT enough time in the day for us to do our jobs. And the company has made it that way. The company can fix the problem. They won't let me fix it.

sexyupsman

Sales should be handled by the Salesrerp. The drivers should mention switching over to UPS to everybody. However, it is the customer preference to Brown or the other colors. Plus the salesreps are there to dress nice and come into a company and explain the entire UPS plan. I do not want a driver trying to convince me the reasons to use UPS. Are the drivers going to have my discount percentages? Are they going to be able to help me with Supply Chain Solutions when I have a package stuck in Brazil? No, I contact my rep at least once a week if I have any problems. I depend on my driver for the delivery of my packages and do not want them to worry about getting enough sales leads to meet the sales quota. Not all UPS drivers went to college and got degrees in package delivery. My rep is a college graduate and he got the job because he met the UPS requirements. Most (not all) drivers are High School or GED graduates. I am not knocking them for that but their life is devoted to that profession. No degree required. Salesreps have an education background for sales and marketing. UPS is the best so I really have no problem.:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Immediately I think of whatever :censored2: kisser rat in the office chatting the OMSs, or riding around with center manager and DM following drivers. ;O maybe that is just a delusional stigma on my part!

That's not delusional, that's part of the job, it's all part of keeping my fellow drivers safe. Now if you think that everyone that does on area observations, does methods training, chats with the OMS and/or, actually cares about their job and the safety of others, is a rat, then it's you, my friend, that has issues.

Some of us on the safety team are actually trying to make UPS safe, for real, though there are those that are exactly what you're talking about, I ain't one. Before you label groups of people, I just thought you'd like to know, that not everyone is the same.:peaceful:

Besides this, I drive without worry of my supe following me. As a matter of fact, he observed me Monday the 9th of March. If you have a problem with your supervisor observing you, you may want to open your own business.

I have not seen one driver/safety person in our center miss a day on car to stay in the center and work safety issues. They come in early to do, whatever it is they do.

sexyupsman

That's not delusional, that's part of the job, it's all part of keeping my fellow drivers safe. Now if you think that everyone that does on area observations, does methods training, chats with the OMS and/or, actually cares about their job and the safety of others, is a rat, then it's you, my friend, that has issues.

Some of us on the safety team are actually trying to make UPS safe, for real, though there are those that are exactly what you're talking about, I ain't one. Before you label groups of people, I just thought you'd like to know, that not everyone is the same.:peaceful:

Besides this, I drive without worry of my supe following me. As a matter of fact, he observed me Monday the 9th of March. If you have a problem with your supervisor observing you, you may want to open your own business.
You go Steve! Safety First! Without the supervisors making observations my driver could get hurt. Yes, there are the rat finks out there but even they serve a purpose. UPS is the company it is for the reasons they create standards and procedures. That is how my company went from basement to the nations largest medical manufacture in the US. We do not outsourse like most companies.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have not seen one driver/safety person in our center miss a day on car to stay in the center and work safety issues. They come in early to do, whatever it is they do.

Here either, 555, I come in early on some days, drill drivers or have a safety meeting and go do my route.

You go Steve! Safety First! Without the supervisors making observations my driver could get hurt. Yes, there are the rat finks out there but even they serve a purpose. UPS is the company it is for the reasons they create standards and procedures. That is how my company went from basement to the nations largest medical manufacture in the US. We do not outsourse like most companies.

Thanks, sexy!:happy2:

ImpactedTSG

if ups has 10 sales guys running around and wasting their time in our hub every morning.
if those 10 guys would do their job and visit 1 customer every day.
5 days a week. 50 new accounts every weeks.
200 accounts a month for every hub
UPS would save alot money on useless talks. Our jobs will be saved!!
Get off your asses, do some real work and help yourself to a better future.
you sales dudes are the apples in the eyes of UPS.
Great post!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Spoke to our sales rep manager today. I think she's a manager, anyways. I told her about a building where I pick up and the secretary pulls my 2 letters from a pile of FedEx letters. I told her to go in and talk to so and so. Tell her STUG sent you and ask her who's shipping these, and would it be alright if I spoke to them. She took down all of the info, and then explained to me that a different rep handled that area. She would have to get with the other rep and give him the details.

I feel like I basically wasted my breath. All of the stuff I said to her will get lost in translation. Not only this, but the fact that he's in Hialeah for a week and...........................blah blah blah. This was just today, mind you. This is the reason I don't like to put in sales leads!:biting: