storing packages in your garage???

hypocrisy

Banned
Just browsing and read the thread on going home for lunch.

What part of the methods say you can go by your home or any home and store packages in a garage? I'm re-reading my methods book and I just don't see it.

What you are doing is hiding the problem. Methods, brilliant as they are, don't account for you moving packages out of your car so you have an aisle to work in. Why should you have room to work? Why should you be able to move from the front to the back of the car without stepping on packages?

Think about it, you are only making it appear that having your package car stuffed to the gills is a normal and effective working environment. If you want things to change, stop doing this, ESPECIALLY during Peak Season. Do the job exactly as you are paid and trained to do it and if it takes an extra hour while you fight around bulk stops 140 and 170 so be it. If you have to call in to get a pickup covered then oh well.

And heaven forbid you miss that one small some day and get accused of burning packages...

over9five

Staff member
Gotta agree with that.

Some day some maroon with a camera will post you on youtube emptying your package car into your garage, and instead of the management team thanking you, THEY'LL FIRE YOU!

Sammie

What part of the methods say you can go by your home or any home and store packages in a garage? I'm re-reading my methods book and I just don't see it.

What you are doing is hiding the problem. Methods, brilliant as they are, don't account for you moving packages out of your car so you have an aisle to work in. Why should you have room to work? Why should you be able to move from the front to the back of the car without stepping on packages?

And heaven forbid you miss that one small some day and get accused of burning packages...

In our case, the UPS guy here was laid up with a broken foot during peak (how's that for timing) and he was home when his sup delivered a pkg. The center asked to use our garage as a favor because the volume was so nuts and we liked the center team so we agreed. :bored:

over9five

Staff member
"so just getting a gander at her every day was probably payment enough for him..."

Ha! Your post makes me wonder a couple of things:

1. How many management people would have lost their jobs if something of your personal property in the garage had gone missing?

2. Would Atlanta have paid rent if you had submitted a bill? (something to consider next year!)

upsdude

I’m not storing any packages in my garage. I’ve been asked to and declined. My boss gave me a confused look but said he completely understood my reasoning. I just think it’s a really bad practice and has nothing to do with rent or any other type of payment. If something turns up missing I’ll be the first suspect and honestly, wouldn't you wonder? It’s the same reason I refuse to take possession of keys to someone’s home or business.

As I posted previously, I live on my route but I do not deliver to myself. If I have a package addressed to me I get the guy next to me to scan it and I sign his diad.

As much as we talk about not being able to “trust” UPS, why place yourself in jeopardy of being doubted?

Sammie

"so just getting a gander at her every day was probably payment enough for him..."

Ha! Your post makes me wonder a couple of things:

1. How many management people would have lost their jobs if something of your personal property in the garage had gone missing?

2. Would Atlanta have paid rent if you had submitted a bill? (something to consider next year!)

Over/9,

I know, I know. Even when we were acting as a private storage shed, I kept thinking back to the Colorado mail carrier who got busted when 3 tons of undelivered mail was found in his back yard. (He said it was junk mail that nobody wanted in the first place.) :bored:

This and other USPS trivia on link below-

http://www.onlineessays.com/essays/history/his220.php

Not that we're thieves or criminals :blushing:, but if anything had been missing or damaged while on our property, our a$$e$ would have been in a sling, not mgmt.

Don't worry, not goin down that road no mo.

tups

YOU HAVE A METHODS BOOK???!!!??!?!? I need to get one too.......lolol But you're right, leave the car full, and take as long as it takes to get it done. Thats why it's called overtime!! Especially at peak!!

hypocrisy

Banned
Hey funny you mention that as I had downloaded the new 340 methods from UPSers.com last year but I see it isn't on there anymore. Instead, there is this inspiring paragraph:

Methods

The number one thing you can do to make your job easier is to consistently use the methods designed for your work. Don't waste your time and energy swimming upstream. Just use the methods every day and you'll see how much easier they'll make your job.

How about sharing those methods Big Brown? LOL

Anyway, just ask your steward. They can request a copy of the methods and then can copy that for you.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
good points here!! but i wouldn't do it!!! what if you re being watched and some one breaks nto your garage, and you wern't authorized to do it by ''THE EMPIRE '' YOU'D BE SC:w00t:REWED!!!!!

upsdude

good points here!! but i wouldn't do it!!! what if you re being watched and some one breaks nto your garage, and you wern't authorized to do it by ''THE EMPIRE '' YOU'D BE SC:w00t:REWED!!!!!

Not just the Empire to worry about. What if “Joe Burglar” is watching and decides to go shopping after you leave? Maybe Joe will be more interested in your stuff than the packages?

UPS Lifer

Think about it, you are only making it appear that having your package car stuffed to the gills is a normal and effective working environment. If you want things to change, stop doing this, ESPECIALLY during Peak Season. Do the job exactly as you are paid and trained to do it and if it takes an extra hour while you fight around bulk stops 140 and 170 so be it. If you have to call in to get a pickup covered then oh well.

Back in 1988 - I lived in one of the dense areas of my own center. I gave my drivers permission to use my garage to make their job easier. We used it to shuttle packages, store deliveries and pick ups and guess what....we had a successful peak season!! Our customers were happy and so were the drivers.

Instead of worrying about being fired - TRUST your management team to see some out of the box thinking to make YOUR company successful. Let's not forget ...if the company is not innovative and successful then everyone suffers the consequences!!!

SmithBarney

Instead of worrying about being fired - TRUST your management team to see some out of the box thinking to make YOUR company successful. Let's not forget ...if the company is not innovative and successful then everyone suffers the consequences!!!

Here's an out of the box idea.... hire enough drivers... no no no... thats silly
I can't imagine that would ever work... never mind, forget I mentioned it.

upsdude

Back in 1988 - I lived in one of the dense areas of my own center. I gave my drivers permission to use my garage to make their job easier. We used it to shuttle packages, store deliveries and pick ups and guess what....we had a successful peak season!! Our customers were happy and so were the drivers.

I'd have no problem at all using your garage. Mine is the one that's off limits.

Trust the center team? I do, and they trust me, that's the way I'd like to keep it.

N

not a fool

Congratulations! You hid the problem!
So by "making their job easier", the company didn't hire a few more Christmas hires to take up the slack. Then that affected their plan for next Peak Season because instead of planning on hiring X amount of more drivers, they hired less because "hey, we did it with less the last year!" Then came the year you didn't allow them to use your garage. I wonder how the peak season went that year? Was everybody happy?

Trust my management team when their qualifications are that they would run their asses off and not follow the methods they hold me to? It's MY company? Did UPS give me stock all of a sudden? How exactly am I tapped to add innovative and successful ideas to this company of ours? Whenever I 'suggest' something won't work I'm accused of being resistant to change. I end up having to show them it won't work and maybe, just maybe, if their ego isn't too bruised management will admit they were wrong.

ImpactedTSG

So by "making their job easier", the company didn't hire a few more Christmas hires to take up the slack. Then that affected their plan for next Peak Season because instead of planning on hiring X amount of more drivers, they hired less because "hey, we did it with less the last year!" Then came the year you didn't allow them to use your garage. I wonder how the peak season went that year? Was everybody happy?

Trust my management team when their qualifications are that they would run their asses off and not follow the methods they hold me to? It's MY company? Did UPS give me stock all of a sudden? How exactly am I tapped to add innovative and successful ideas to this company of ours? Whenever I 'suggest' something won't work I'm accused of being resistant to change. I end up having to show them it won't work and maybe, just maybe, if their ego isn't too bruised management will admit they were wrong.
It is really amazing to see the difference between a small company and a huge corporation. Where I am now working, everyone has a team first attitude. The more money we save on a daily basis, the more the company makes. That means we get bigger bonuses and a bigger 401K match. Our CEO never wants to show a profit, so at the end of the year all the extra gets distributed among the employees. We never feel like it is "us against the man". Please don't get me wrong. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the attitudes of the drivers. In fact, in TSG it was the same mentality. Bust your butt all year and all you get is a freakin turkey. Come on, gimme a break. The company has record profits in the billions and all you give back is a turkey? MIP? ?Yeah for management, that is great, but what about the people out there earning the money? Damn these Yuengling Lagers. They have me talking all crazy tonight.

UPS Lifer

So by "making their job easier", the company didn't hire a few more Christmas hires to take up the slack. Then that affected their plan for next Peak Season because instead of planning on hiring X amount of more drivers, they hired less because "hey, we did it with less the last year!" Then came the year you didn't allow them to use your garage. I wonder how the peak season went that year? Was everybody happy? ..

You sure have a lot of opinions for someone that is not registered. My guess is that there must be a lack of trust or fear that someone will take retribution. That certainly is a shame!!!

You made a lot of assumptions about how I ran my operation at peak.

Now I will tell you the facts. I never once hid anything. It was a driver that asked me to use my garage. It was not hidden from anyone. In fact, it sparked and encouraged additional ideas that helped to make our peak season(s) more successful. The center I ran was not only a heavy residential area which was explosive at peak, but it was one of the largest pick up driven areas. (An International Airport was located right smack in the middle of my center) Only one other area in the district had nearly as many feeder runs to support the package drivers as my center.

The idea that was sparked by a driver (to use my garage) became a selling point to strategically place a couple of additional trailers to help take the load off the drivers for delivery and pick up. This concept is still in use today. In fact there are many centers around the country that use this technique. Some centers use the concept all year long. We were on the cutting edge back in '88. Why... because of the reason this company has excelled for 100 years...a driver!

Next time please get your facts straight before you accuse someone of "hiding" the truth.

Ronald Regan once said "You can accomplish much if you don't care who gets the credit".

I had that plaque right on top of my light switch in every office I had for the last 16 years. I believe in those words.

When I read through these threads and listen to what the employees are saying about how their management team are just puppets etc. It makes me sick. Those are management teams that don't know how to stand up for their people. There is always a time or place or something a manager or supervisor can do to help their people. (Using my garage is just one small example.)

Those things start to snow ball and before you know it, Grade 18 and above don't mess with you. It is all about getting things done. It takes everyone working together to make it happen. You can't do it alone but when you have a group of determined employees you can work miracles. Jim Casey even put that in writing!

There are only two types of people at UPS. Management and non-management. It takes both types to be successful. Anyone who thought they were better than someone else wouldn't be working for me for very long. (I am sorry...I will get off my soap box now!)