Strange Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently order literally 100+ separate packages from a certain website. The problem is recently my address has been banned and the company I order from will not ship any more packages to my address.

I live in a residential home at the end of a culdesac.

As a way to get around my address being banned I came up with the following plan: I can simply add the words “Apt 1 or Apt 34 or Apt 900, etc” to the end of my address. Since I don’t live in an Apartment complex the driver would assume there was an error and deliver to the only house with my address.

I could also add other words to the end of my address such as suite, unit, building, or floor. I could also add random things to the end of my address such as “street 50” or random numbers for that matter.

My question is: Do you think adding an apt # to the end of my address is the best way to make my address appear unique but at the same time have the package still be delivered?

Thanks

maybrown

is not a woman
Do you have many claims against UPS? It is really the strange question! I have one customer who order a lot from QVC or HSN without any problem!

Hangingon

If you were banned for claims, your driver will not deliver to your residential address no matter what you put on the end of the house number. If it was on the shippers end and has nothing to do with UPS then good luck.

I was not banned by UPS, there is no problem with UPS whatsoever. My address was "banned" by the website I order products from.

The reason is because I am ordering a "hot" product that the website is limiting how many each household can purchase.

upsgrunt

How good of friends are your neighbors? Pick one or two close to you and ask them to "rent" their address and spread out your orders. Living in a culdesac would make that very feasible. If your name is banned, just pay the neighbor cash to order for you.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The reason is because I am ordering a "hot" product that the website is limiting how many each household can purchase.

I'm not surprised you're being banned. I'll take a guess that you're trying to buy a lot of a specific type of electronics. Nintendo Wii seems to be one of the hot items this year. Am I far off? If not, I'd ban your a&% in a New York minute, too! I can't stand these people. I read about these people a couple years ago. I think it was one of the PlayStation releases. The husband bought one at Best Buy, the wife bought another at Circuit City AND they had two shipped to their home--one from Radio Shack and another from Amazon or something. These people just make me see red. Greed at its best! :angry: -Rocky

maybrown

is not a woman
How good of friends are your neighbors? Pick one or two close to you and ask them to "rent" their address and spread out your orders. Living in a culdesac would make that very feasible. If your name is banned, just pay the neighbor cash to order for you.
Very good advice! We have more packages.

upsgrunt

Or is it iphones? Those damn things are going for more on Ebay used than you can buy them for new. I can't figure it out, but I bet if I bought a bunch the price would plummet.:dissapointed:

I have thought of sending the packages to neighbors the problem is that there are literally over 100 packages so it would not be practical.

So back to the original question if I added an Apt # to the end of my house address would the package still be delivered to me?

Thanks for your help

upsgrunt

I have thought of sending the packages to neighbors the problem is that there are literally over 100 packages so it would not be practical.

So back to the original question if I added an Apt # to the end of my house address would the package still be delivered to me?

Thanks for your help

If you must use YOUR address, I would add 1/2 to the number instead of using an apt. number; then I would add a second mailbox right next to your original with your house number and the 1/2 next to it. It is just something about seeing an address with an apt. number that you know is not an apt. building that scares me. What if the driver address corrects each box and then the shipper gets charged $5 for each- they aren't going to be very happy about that. This is all, of course, my opinion- it and a buck will get you a sweet cup of coffee!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Try it and see. The website will have flagged your address in the system and will not fulfill the order. This is NOT on the UPS end. No, this is on the shipper's end. UPS doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this until its loaded onto a trailer for transit to a UPS facility. At that point, UPS will deliver it to the address. If its not an apartment, the driver may just enter it as NSN (No Such Number). When i was a helper, we had a couple of those. We looked high and low but couldn't find the address. Since its an apartment, the driver might approach the front door and ask if the packages are yours. But.....every driver is different.

Are these large packages? The size may dictate how hard the driver tries to deliver them. -Rocky

upsgrunt, Thanx for the suggestion but I'm not fully clear on what exactly you mean.

Lets say my address is: 222 Oak Street
I'm suggesting changing it to: 222 Oak Street apt 99
Your suggesting: ? If you could write it out, that would be greatly appreciated.

RockyRogue, I would receive about 100 packages each weigh 24 pounds and are medium in size. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been receiving hundreds of these exact same packages from UPS for the last 3 months, the drivers know what my packages look like and they know me [I come outside every time to talk and help them unload + give them some bottled water].

I just want to know if theres a problem with adding on extra words to the end of my address like Apt # or Suite #. Maybe before the driver gets my packages UPS will know the address is not an apartment? I'm really not sure which is why I'm asking you guys.

upsgrunt

upsgrunt, Thanx for the suggestion but I'm not fully clear on what exactly you mean.

Lets say my address is: 222 Oak Street
I'm suggesting changing it to: 222 Oak Street apt 99
Your suggesting: ? If you could write it out, that would be greatly appreciated.

RockyRogue, I would receive about 100 packages each weigh 24 pounds and are medium in size. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been receiving hundreds of these exact same packages from UPS for the last 3 months, the drivers know what my packages look like and they know me [I come outside every time to talk and help them unload + give them some bottled water].

I just want to know if theres a problem with adding on extra words to the end of my address like Apt # or Suite #. Maybe before the driver gets my packages UPS will know the address is not an apartment? I'm really not sure which is why I'm asking you guys.

I'm saying go with 222 1/2 Oak street- that implies that there is another address above, behind, or beside you. If the driver knows you and you give him help and water, then it shouldn't be a problem- you might just want to explain the situation to him. Thanks for the water, by the way, little touches like that mean a lot to us!
Good luck!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

From UPS's standpoint? Probably not, particularly if you have the SAME driver daily. However, with this being Peak Season you might not have that same driver every day. As far as UPS knowing your address isn't an apartment building....no, I don't think so. I remember a house on a route I helped on that had been converted to three or four apartments. The driver had to tell me how to find the one I needed--in the dark! My experience has been that UPS relies on driver knowledge to deliver packages as far as building construction--home, apartment, etc. You might ask your driver if your street/neighborhood could be handed off to another driver. If not, tell him what you're doing as far as the 1/2 at the end of your addres. If he doesn't already have it from packages you've had delivered before, give him your phone number so he can call you and tell you, "OK. I'm one street over. I'll be there in 5 minutes." Time is money to drivers at this time of year. Anything you can do to help them out will go a long way to getting your packages. Make sense? -Rocky

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I frequently order literally 100+ separate packages from a certain website. The problem is recently my address has been banned and the company I order from will not ship any more packages to my address.

I live in a residential home at the end of a culdesac.

As a way to get around my address being banned I came up with the following plan: I can simply add the words “Apt 1 or Apt 34 or Apt 900, etc” to the end of my address. Since I don’t live in an Apartment complex the driver would assume there was an error and deliver to the only house with my address.

I could also add other words to the end of my address such as suite, unit, building, or floor. I could also add random things to the end of my address such as “street 50” or random numbers for that matter.

My question is: Do you think adding an apt # to the end of my address is the best way to make my address appear unique but at the same time have the package still be delivered?

Thanks

You have 100 packages delivered that are 24 pounds each and wonder why you have a problem? If I was the driver, I'd drive right by ni1 ni2 ni3 :D
Your route driver would need a 24 footer lol

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Thanks for the water, by the way, little touches like that mean a lot to us!

Boy, is this true! Last Peak, I delivered a box to a coffee shop while my driver sorted our next section. I handed the DIAD to the cashier since he said he could sign for the package. I asked if I could use the restroom and the guy said, "Sure! I'll sign this while you're in there." His colleague heard us talking and said, "Hey, you want a cup of coffee or cocoa when you leave? Its cold out there!" I said I'd LOVE one. Little things like the water or the hot beverage from that coffee shop get people an extra mile. -Rocky

upsgrunt

You have 100 packages delivered that are 24 pounds each and wonder why you have a problem? If I was the driver, I'd drive right by ni1 ni2 ni3 :D
Your route driver would need a 24 footer lol

Sure you would- so you could service cross all of them, fight them all day for 3 days, and then get yelled at for having so many send-agains, not to mention for not doing your job.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
If I was the driver, I'd drive right by ni1 ni2 ni3 :D

JACK***!!! You wonder WHY UPS loses customers! If I were one of your driving co-workers and I received a text message request to help you out at the end of a 10 hour day in the snow, etc, I wouldn't do it. If it were an order....d*mn, I'd be one peeved driver! :biting::biting:. -Rocky

Ok so it sounds like this should work as long as my driver is familiar with the area / me. Thanks for your suggestions.

Apart from adding 1/2 to my address; What would be the best random word to add to the end of my address out of apartment, suite, unit, building, floor, etc?

I originally chose Apt # because it was the first thing that came to mind but if you think adding apt # might cause a bit too much confusion then let me know which word to add that would cause less confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.