Strike

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
So everyone seems to think that voting "no" on the National Master Agreement will solve the issue of the IBT leadership being in the pockets of UPS. However, if my interpretation of the IBT Constitution is correct, there are a couple more hurdles to overcome, and one bit of language that could make the whole thing pointless...

1. If at least 50% of the membership votes and of that 50% the majority vote the contract down, or if less than 50% vote and at least 2/3 of the voters vote the contract down, then it will be considered an automatic strike vote without the need for a separate strike vote. However, the negotiating committee would first have to deem the offer by UPS to be a "final" offer (regardless of what UPS states it is). So if the negotiating committee is also bought and paid for, they would presumably never deem any offer a "final" offer, and we'll work under the old contract until it's eventually voted in by people desperate for their months, possibly years (I doubt it'll take that long to wear down the membership) of backpay...
2. Even if the negotiating committee does deem an offer by UPS to be a "final" offer, and the membership votes it down in a manner that considers it an automatic strike vote as per the Constitution, the negotiating committee, with the approval of the General Executive Board, can suspend or even terminate a strike as per Article XII, Section E. In addition, as if that wasn't bad enough, Hoffa can suspend or even terminate a strike as per Article XII, Section friend, again with the approval of the General Executive Board.

So, long story short, if UPS so chooses to do so, they could easily buy the leadership of the IBT and prevent a strike from ever occurring, or if one does occur, could buy the leadership to easily terminate a strike. And I'm fairly certain that the price that would need to be paid to buy the "integrity" of the leadership is far less than the price of negotiating a fair contract for the workers. And seeing as how a lot of people seem to think that the people in leadership roles under Hoffa are corrupt, I find it hard to believe that UPS won't be able to buy them all...

Good points considering what happened with the last contract, Hoffa barely retained office because of it if the TDU's statement of 70 percent of the UPS membership that voted did so for his opponent in the last election. I am thinking that Hoffa will step down soon, he is in the mid-70's and has to be feeling it, physically and mentality. The behind the scenes jockeying for leadership in the IBT will be wide open, the characters are already in the play. If he does sell the membership out, everyone on his slate and/or associated with him will suffer dearly in the political arena, financially he is well off, he does not need any more money, particularly from UPS. Also there is a term called "collusion", if proven the DOL, DOJ will come down hard on both parties, like prison time.

Another consideration is what happen to Ron Carey with the last strike, I sometimes think that the present leadership is actually scared of upsetting UPS and will do everything within it power to appease then. There is a lot of dirt on both sides that could be used if needed, again I compare it the the cold war era, neither party wants to push the red button.

The deadline for decision making is quickly approaching, no body knows nothing yet on what is or was on the table. Everybody be prepared for a lot of cramming when the contract is presented to membership, these committees had plenty of time to work it out and just from knowing the make up of both parties they been working on every scenario that could happen from day one after the last one.

The bylaws of below 50 percent of membership who do vote required to pass the national is not yet in play considering the 93 percent who voted for the strike authorization. That 93 percent will likely be the ones who will also actually vote on the contract, the rest simply do not give a hoot one way or another. I maybe wrong on this but I believe that a vast majority of that 93 percent are long term full timers, except maybe local 89 in louisville, who got the royal treatment with the last one.

Everybody has their issues to settle with this contract, mine is Pension and Health and Welfare coverage, the considerations mostly fall on your years of service. Wages need to be raises, particularly the starting hourly rate to keep and retain people I see it during the sorts, part time supervisors dressed for manual labor because that can not retain employees. People do not even file anymore in my building, it is so common place. Again the money is there to provide a decent retirement for every long member, corporate is currently providing an out to some of their management people (they have a very nice retirement benefit). If for some miracle they would provide a decent retirement benefit to ALL their union counterparts it will open up a lot of full time openings and would benefit both parties.

Superteeth2478

See, the thing is that 93% didn't vote for strike authorization, it's 93% of the percentage that actually voted, which we still do not know what that percentage was. Granted, you are right that the ones that voted are the vocal ones, and are likely to be the ones that vote on the contract as well, and would likely vote "no" if the contract proposal is weak (hopefully).

But again, the problem is the battle of attrition that will be waged against the membership through extending the time that we work under the old contract...would repeatedly extending the current contract from weeks to months to even years while repeatedly offering weak contracts with little to no changes count as collusion? That'll be a question for the DoL and DoJ to determine...

And then, even if we did strike, who's to say that the IBT forcing us to return to work, citing the loss to the union and to the company, would count as collusion? At the end of the day, seeing as how it would start affecting the U.S. economy, what are the chances that governmental entities wouldn't see a valid argument in the cost to the U.S. economy of a strike?

And then, of course you're right about Hoffa, he's not likely to care about being elected president again, and his leadership probably wouldn't care whether or not they held their offices, either, if UPS buys them off. Remember, the price of buying off a couple of weak-minded people is far less than the price of giving the workers a fair contract...

I really hope I'm wrong with all these assumptions, because if I'm right, we're going to get a subpar contract shoved up our bungholes whether we like it or not.

Superteeth2478

You're right, I am paranoid, but at the end of the day, it's a worst-case scenario that isn't completely implausible. Do you have any counterpoints? It's all a valid scenario that is possible because of the language in the IBT Constitution. I know it's beating a dead horse, but look at what happened with the last contract and the locals that were holding out due to issues they had with their local supplemental agreements. I'm sure you had your lines defending the old guard for their actions (I don't know what they were, but you can state them again if you'd like to edify me), but it just didn't look right to me.

Surely Hoffa knows the membership doesn't approve of his actions any longer, seeing as how he lost the U.S. vote for IBT president. Why would he be motivated to give us a good contract before he checks out? Money talks, and UPS has a lot of it.

And to Gumby's question, if we do walk, what do you think are the chances the IBT will allow us to continue the strike until UPS cries uncle?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What do you think is going to happen? Are we going to get a good contract or are we going to walk?

As many personal friends I have on the National Committee, and Regional Supplements....

I wouldn't insult them, by trying to "pick their brain".

Things are going to happen.

And then.... the members can approve, Or disapprove.

-Bug-

Superteeth2478

Well, there is the wildcard that is Trump's vendetta against Bezos, but then we don't even need Trump to return us to work.

Just had to say, it's tout de suite.

And Bug, remember that the negotiating committee is a separate entity from Hoffa and the General Executive Board. Article XII, Section 2, Subsection friend permits the president to call an end to the strike with the approval of the General Executive Board, and this decision would supersede any authority of the negotiating committee.

And just as an addition to the first post I made in this thread, the relevant language that I cited is in Article XII, Section 2, Subsections E and friend. Forgot to mention the section. Look it up, it's definitely interesting how the language is written. I wonder if that language was always there, or if it was a recent addition (more likely than not it has been there for a while, but if it's a recent addition...)

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'm not pretty enough.
29A47C6F-9B58-438D-A753-C110051568C1.jpeg

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I have petitioned @cheryl.... to allow me to do a live YouTube chat.

It was denied.

Her site... her rules. I respect that.

Same reason that a lot of our membership do not express their opinions on this site, fear of being singled out and have a target painted on their backs. Just from my experiences it is justified, most of the ones who stay on this site are generally high seniority, retired or just don't give a damn about being on front lines. We all have been too well trained on "the path of least resistance" train of thought, especially their partners. It appears that most who voice an opinion on BC are retired or close to retirement, again they could always go to UPSers.com and get the real story.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Same reason that a lot of our membership do not express their opinions on this site, fear of being singled out and have a target painted on their backs. Just from my experiences it is justified, most of the ones who stay on this site are generally high seniority, retired or just don't give a damn about being on front lines. .

Wtf are you talking about. This is 100% anonymous website.